Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Pence Defies Trump and Says He Can't Reject Electoral Votes
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 4 years ago on
January 6, 2021

Share

WASHINGTON — Defying President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence acknowledged Wednesday he does not have the power to throw out the electoral votes that will make Democrat Joe Biden the next president in two weeks, dashing Trump’s baseless hopes that Pence somehow could find a way to keep him in office.

Under intense pressure from Trump and his allies to overturn the election results before the Jan. 20 inauguration, Pence issued a lengthy statement laying out his conclusion that a vice president cannot claim “unilateral authority” to reject states’ electoral votes.

“It is my considered judgment that my oath to support and defend the Constitution constrains me from claiming unilateral authority to determine which electoral votes should be counted and which should not,” Pence wrote in a letter to members of Congress before he gaveled in the joint session of Congress.

In a remarkable moment underscoring the dramatic split between Trump and his once most loyal lieutenant, Pence released the statement just after arriving at the Capitol to tally votes and as the president was telling thousands of supporters gathered near the White House that Pence could overturn those results.

“If Mike Pence does the right thing we win the election,” Trump told supporters who later marched through Washington and stormed the Capitol.

Trump tweeted his disapproval of Pence after returning to the White House.

“Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify,” he wrote. “USA demands the truth!”

After losing court case and after court case, and with no further options at hand, Trump and his allies had spent days in a futile bid to convince Pence that he could toss electors from battleground states that voted for Biden. The Constitution makes clear that the vice president’s role in the joint session is largely ceremonial and includes formally reading out the tallies.

Pence, as Expected, Made Clear in His Three-Page Letter That He Would Follow the Constitution

While Pence allies had made clear that he intended to defy Trump, they also understood that it was likely to enrage Trump and risked compromising Pence’s own political future. Pence is eyeing a run for the White House in 2024 and had banked on his years of loyalty to Trump to help him stand out in what is expected to be a crowded field. Even out of office, Trump is expected to remain the de facto leader of the Republican Party and a political kingmaker for years to come,

Pence, as expected, made clear in his three-page letter that he would follow the Constitution, not the commander in chief, no matter the political repercussions. He acknowledged a vice president has no unilateral power under the Constitution and the congressional rules that govern the count. It is up to the House and Senate to voice objections, and states’ electors were chosen in accordance with state law, not fraudulently.

Beginning at 1 p.m., Pence began to open the certificates of the electoral votes from each state and present them to the appointed “tellers” from the House and Senate in alphabetical order. The process had to be put hold when Trump supporters swarmed the Capitol.

Pence was ushered out of the Senate chamber to a secure location as protesters breached the building.

“The violence and destruction taking place at the US Capitol Must Stop and it Must Stop Now,” he tweeted. “Anyone involved must respect Law Enforcement officers and immediately leave the building.”

When the count ultimately ends, Pence will have the task of announcing who won the majority of votes for both president and vice president.

Despite claims by Trump and his allies, there was not widespread fraud in the election. This has been confirmed by a range of election officials and by William Barr, who stepped down as attorney general last month. Neither Trump nor any of the lawmakers promising to object to the count have presented credible evidence that would change the outcome.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

6 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

6 hours ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a resolution Wednesday night that would thwart President Donald Trump’s ability to impose tariffs on Canada, ...

58 minutes ago

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., center, is joined from left by Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., Sen. Peter Welch, D-Vt., and Sen. Angela Alsobrooks, D-Md., as they speak to reporters about President Donald Trump's tariffs on foreign countries, at the Capitol, in Washington, Wednesday, April 2, 2025. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
58 minutes ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

5 hours ago

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

5 hours ago

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

A young Labrador mix rescued from a Fresno canal on Sunday, March 2, 2025, is thriving in a foster home after overcoming fear and trauma. (Instagram/Fresno Animal Center)
6 hours ago

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

6 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

6 hours ago

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

6 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

7 hours ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend