Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

15 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

17 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

18 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

18 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

20 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Bullard Student Faces 13 Assault Counts in School Bus 'Gel Blaster' Shooting
NANCY WEBSITE HEADSHOT 1
By Nancy Price, Multimedia Journalist
Published 2 years ago on
November 7, 2023

Share

A 15-year-old Bullard High School student was charged with 13 misdemeanor assault counts on Tuesday after he fired a battery-powered toy gel blaster gun aboard his school bus, striking 13 other students and nearly hitting the driver, the Fresno County Sheriff’s spokesman Tony Botti said.

The student had been suspended the day before from the northwest Fresno high school for displaying and firing a toy gun at the school, Botti said. On Tuesday morning he boarded his bus with two of the gel pellet-firing guns, and around 8:13 a.m. a disturbance broke out aboard the bus and the student fired off multiple shots.

Thirteen students were hit but none were injured, Botti said. About 45 to 50 students were on the bus when the incident occurred, he said.

The pellets are water gel balls that typically do not cause serious injury unless they hit someone’s eye.

Although no one was injured, the disturbance could have caused the driver to lose focus on his driving and result in a crash, Botti said.

Driver Nearly Struck

After one of the pellets nearly struck the driver and hit the windshield, the driver stopped the bus at the intersection of Sierra and Warren avenues.

The student then jumped out of a window and took off running, but later turned himself in at the school office. Botti said the student no longer had the gun he had fired on the bus, but his backpack on the bus contained a second gel-shooting toy gun.

“It’s just not a smart decision on this kid’s part, and now he’s going to be held accountable for it,” Botti said.

“It’s hard to say who the main target was, especially when you hear over a dozen other kids getting struck by them. Some may have blown up by the driver. So right now we don’t know what his intention was. Maybe he just wanted attention and he thought it would be funny. And if he could do it in front of his classmates, he’d be a cool kid for the day. Well, now he’s the cool kid in the community who’s in juvenile hall.”

The student was booked into the county’s juvenile hall on 13 counts of assault and battery, Botti said.

Board Policy on Suspensions for Toy Guns

District spokeswoman AJ Kato said the district does not use an ID scan system for students who are boarding buses. She said school officials don’t know if the student’s parents or guardian was aware of Monday’s suspension.

“The site tried to reach them, but no one answered, and they couldn’t leave a message because the mailboxes were full,” she said.

According to Fresno Unified board policy, students who are in possession of an imitation firearm are subject to suspension or expulsion.

Botti said he hoped Tuesday’s incident would be educational for other students as well as parents.

“I would just send a message out to parents, being a father myself, especially of a teenage boy, you hear the ideas that they come up with sometimes, you see the things that they’re about to do,” he said. “And that’s when you got to step up as a parent and tell them, ‘Hey, don’t do that. Quit it.’

“Hopefully by parents seeing this out in the news this evening, they will have a talk with their kid and let them know, ‘hey, there’s consequences for doing dumb stuff like that. So if you’re even thinking about it, knock it off.'”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

UP NEXT

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

UP NEXT

Visalia Stabbing Sends Two to Hospital, Suspect in Custody

UP NEXT

Fresno Police Detain Suspect After Report of Possible Gun at Elementary School

UP NEXT

Fresno Police Arrest Man Accused in $30,000 Courier Scam

UP NEXT

Who Did Fresno Unified Hire to Succeed Nikki Henry as Communications Chief?

Nancy Price,
Multimedia Journalist
Nancy Price is a multimedia journalist for GV Wire. A longtime reporter and editor who has worked for newspapers in California, Florida, Alaska, Illinois and Kansas, Nancy joined GV Wire in July 2019. She previously worked as an assistant metro editor for 13 years at The Fresno Bee. Nancy earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Her hobbies include singing with the Fresno Master Chorale and volunteering with Fresno Filmworks. You can reach Nancy at 559-492-4087 or Send an Email

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

12 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

12 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

12 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

12 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

12 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

13 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

14 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

14 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

15 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

15 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

10 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
10 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
10 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
11 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
12 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

12 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
12 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
12 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
12 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend