Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Newsom Cautious on Earlier Release of Inmates
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
March 24, 2020

Share

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday ruled out releasing violent inmates in response to the coronavirus pandemic, but left the door open to other relief that he said needs to be carefully weighed to avoid worsening the state’s homelessness crisis.

“I have no interest — and I want to make this crystal clear — in releasing violent criminals from our system. And I won’t use a crisis as an excuse to create another crisis.” — Gov. Gavin Newsom
One inmate and five employees in California’s massive prison system have tested positive for the coronavirus, leading to increased pressure on corrections officials to begin releasing some of the state’s 123,000 convicts early.
It’s among topics being discussed by a pandemic task force appointed by U.S. District Judge Kimberly Mueller, who wants answers by Friday.
But earlier releases would bring their own complications as the most populous state struggles to contain an outbreak that has killed 35 residents and brought more than 2,000 cases.
“I have no interest — and I want to make this crystal clear — in releasing violent criminals from our system. And I won’t use a crisis as an excuse to create another crisis,” Newsom said.
“If we start to release prisoners that are not prepared with their parole plans, they may end up out on the streets and sidewalks, in a homeless shelter. If we don’t prepare people to get back on their feet, they may end up in the emergency rooms,” he added.
Photo of Gov. Gavin Newsom
Governor Gavin Newsom speaks to members of the press at a news conference in Sacramento on Feb. 27. Newsom spoke about the state’s response to novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. Yesterday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a possible first case of person-to-person transmission of COVID-19 in California in the general public. (AP Photo/Randall Benton)

The System Needs Enough Room to Isolate or Quarantine Inmates Who Show Symptoms

Attorney Michael Bien, who represents inmates in some of the largest lawsuits affecting the prison system, is among advocates saying California must free inmates to create enough space for prisoners to socially distance themselves like the rest of the state’s population. The system also needs enough room to isolate or quarantine inmates who show symptoms or test positive for the virus, which is generally spread by sneezing or coughing, he said.
“The only way to do that is to bring that population down,” Bien said. “If they don’t, not only will they have unnecessary and avoidable deaths but they’ll have that among correctional officers, clinicians, their families. We need to start immediately to reduce that risk.”
The American Civil Liberties Union was among more than 40 advocacy groups that joined in a letter last week asking Newsom to free all medically fragile adults and those over age 60 and all inmates scheduled to be paroled through next year.
Federal judges a decade ago already forced California to sharply reduce its inmate population to improve prison conditions.

Bien Said the State Has Plenty of Options

That “allows us greater opportunities to evaluate existing resources, find innovative ways of providing patient care within our facilities, and to lessen the impact on our statewide public health care delivery system,” corrections department spokeswoman Dana Simas said in an email. “Additional measures will continue to be developed based on the rapidly-evolving situation.”

“There’s no need to release anybody who is dangerous to public safety. There are a lot of people who can be released without danger by anyone’s measure. There’s a time-limited opportunity to act.”Attorney Michael Bien 
Hundreds of inmates already have been released from jails in Los Angeles, San Francisco and elsewhere, and Newsom said one answer may be broader releases of lower-level offenders and reduced transfers to state prisons.
“There’s a lot of advocacy in this space saying, ‘Let’s just let out tens of thousands of prisoners,’” Newsom said.
“That’s not the way we will go about this,” Newsom said. “We will do it in a very deliberative way, and to the extent we have to have a release valve … it will be for those nonviolent offenses and we will do it in a very systemic way and we are working in real time with our sheriffs to see what that looks like, and with our folks at the state system.”
Bien said the state has plenty of options, including freeing infirm and older inmates or younger inmates who already were set for parole in the next couple months and should have plans in place for housing and jobs.
“There’s no need to release anybody who is dangerous to public safety. There are a lot of people who can be released without danger by anyone’s measure,” Bien said. “There’s a time-limited opportunity to act.”

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

9 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

9 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

9 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

10 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

11 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

5 hours ago

5 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
5 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

6 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

6 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

9 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend