Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Reaction to Pelco Layoffs
GV-Wire-1
By gvwire
Published 8 years ago on
May 24, 2017

Share

Once known as the leaders of cutting-edge surveillance cameras, a Valley company has fallen behind the technological curve.

Pelco employees learned at a company meeting last week that 200 workers will be laid off by December. At one point, the workforce for the Clovis-based company stood at 2,000 strong.

Information about the Pelco layoffs.

According to a memo distributed to employees during the meeting and obtained by GV Wire, the company said “Due to an uncertain business climate and declining demand for analog video, Schneider Electric will exit video manufacturing in Clovis. Production will transfer to a contracted manufacturers or third party offers where product will continue to be labelled/branded as SE Pelco. Also BMS will consolidate under one roof on the Clovis Campus.”

The layoffs come from Pelco’s manufacturing operations as the company intends to shut down the production of its video line.

“The primary reason is technology has shifted from analog to IP and the Clovis operations is not in a position to keep up with the rapidly shifting technology base,” said Pelco Vice President of Operations, Joe Kochan.

“The accelerated implementation of new products has also forced us to work with global partners throughout the world – those global partners are in Asia, the Middle East, Europe as well as in the US and specifically many in California.  These partnerships across the globe allow us to leverage new technology and larger pool of resources to help Pelco keep up with the rapidly changing market,” Kochan said.

According to its company website, Pelco was founded in 1957 in Hawthorne, CA. It was bought by France-based Schneider Electric in 2008.

Schneider Electric says it will provide those affected with a “generous” severance package as well as outplacement services. GV Wire reached out to employees at the company who were unable to share their comments for fear of losing their compensation.

Kochan said, “Schneider Electric is a very responsible company and is treating the affected people with respect and appreciation for what they have done for the business.”

Current and former employees have expressed their frustration and disappointment on social media. Some share job postings from other companies. One poster wrote “I remember them saying ‘Nothing’s going to change; you won’t even know we’re here.’ It’s a sad to see a once great company run into the ground.”

Although the company’s workforce is shrinking Kochan said, “We have a tremendous team both at Pelco as well as with our global partners that are very focused on continuing the success of Pelco.”

 

Veronique Werz contributed to this report.

What are your thoughts? Leave your comments below.

Contact David Taub

Phone: 559-492-4037 / e-mail

This story was not subject to the approval of Granville Homes.

Want these stories delivered directly to your e-mail inbox? Subscribe today.

 

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

The ‘Six’ Wives of King Henry VIII Sing Their Hearts Out in Fresno

UP NEXT

Reps. Costa, Gray Propose Bill to Address Critical Doctor Shortage in Rural Areas

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Yakista Ceeblaj Lor

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

5 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

6 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

8 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

8 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

8 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

9 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

10 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

10 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

4 hours ago

4 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
4 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

5 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

5 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend