A hearing to determine whether the alleged shooter in Caleb Quick’s killing will be tried as an adult or juvenile has been postponed to Dec. 1, 2026. (GV Wire Composite)
Share
|
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
The alleged shooter in the killing of Caleb Quick will wait until December for a judge to determine whether he will be tried as an adult or a juvenile after his transfer hearing was postponed Friday.
The Fresno County District Attorney’s Office confirmed to GV Wire that the hearing, previously scheduled for Sept. 1, is now set for Dec. 1.
The district attorney’s office said the hearing was postponed following a motion by the defense, which said it was not ready to proceed and that its expert needed additional time to review the case.
Officials said the new hearing date was scheduled based on the expert’s availability.
A transfer hearing takes place before a trial and determines whether a juvenile’s case will proceed in adult or juvenile court.
At a June 9 hearing, prosecutors told the court they expect to call up to 15 witnesses during the transfer hearing and estimated the proceedings will last about five days.
Prosecutors also said they had received their expert’s report ahead of the hearing.
Postponement Comes After Getaway Driver Found Guilty
The postponement comes days after Cassandra Michael, the getaway driver in Quick’s killing, was found guilty Monday of first-degree murder following closing arguments in her bench trial.
She was tried as a juvenile.
Prosecutors accused Michael of serving as the getaway driver and knowingly helping facilitate what police described as a targeted, pre-planned killing.
Quick was shot outside the McDonald’s near Willow and Nees avenues on April 23, 2025, and later died at a hospital.
During Michael’s trial, prosecutors presented surveillance footage they said tracked her white Tesla before and after the shooting, including video showing the car picking up the alleged shooter after he fled the scene.
The defense maintained Michael did not know the alleged shooter planned to kill Quick and argued the prosecution’s case was largely circumstantial.
Michael is due back in court for her juvenile disposition hearing Sept. 2.
—
Connect with Anthony W. Haddad on social media. Got a tip? Send an email.
RELATED TOPICS:
Categories
Fresno’s Measure S Hearing Gets Judge, First Hearing Date





