Music is the theme Thursday at The Big Fresno Fair.
The 12th Annual Big Band Review, which draws junior high and high school marching bands from throughout California, is 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Grandstand and Pavilion. They are competing for $12,000 in cash prizes and trophies.
Then, at 7 p.m., legendary R&B group En Vogue performs at the Paul Paul Theater. Tickets start at $35 and can be purchased online or at the fair.
Sanger High’s Sofia Santos Wins New Toyota Corolla
One of the fair’s most popular events is the 4.0 & Above Program, which encourages students to strive for perfect grades.
More than 5,000 Fresno County students qualified this year, and Sanger High School junior Sofia Santos came away with the top prize on Wednesday night, a new Toyota Corolla.
Students received $106,000 in scholarships and prizes, fair officials said.
Watch this video to hear all of the ways the Fair and Health Department work together to provide the safest event possible, as well as what you can do to keep yourself healthy & safe at the #2023BFF! Read more details at https://t.co/aUDrNzCgeH. pic.twitter.com/eEbTWfYMI9
— Big Fresno Fair (@BigFresnoFair) October 4, 2023
Fair Education Day
Roughly 25,000 Fresno County kindergarten through 8th-grade students will visit the fair today on the first of four Fair Education Days. Students will get a return fair ticket to bring their families back to show off what they learned.
There is plenty of activity in the livestock barns on Thursday.
8 a.m. — Dairy Cattle Show
10 a.m. — 4-H & FFA Junior Pygmy Goat Showmanship, followed by 4-H & FFA Pygmy Goat Breeding
2 p.m. — 4-H & FFA Replacement Heifer Show
5 p.m. — Pee Wee Dairy Cattle Showmanship
• Gates: 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.
• Main Carnival: 3 p.m. to Close
• Kiddie Carnival: 12 p.m. to Close
General Fair Prices
• Adults: $12
• Children 6-12: $8
• Children 5 and under: FREE
• Seniors 62 and over: $8
• Active military with I.D.: $8
Fair Admission Discounts
Here are some ways to save on your trip to the fair:
• $40 Season Passes are available at O’Reilly Auto Parts.
• Coming for a day? Get $2 off admission and up to $7 off unlimited carnival ride wristband at Save Mart or FoodMaxx stores.
• Get a “buy one, get one free” admission ticket voucher if you donate blood as part of the “Pint for a Pass” Blood Drive! Just head to any Central California Blood Center or mobile drive.
The #BigFresnoFair works year-round with the @FresnoPolice Dept. on a comprehensive security plan to provide a safe, family friendly event. Watch this video from Fresno Police Chief Paco Balderrama on safety measures at the Fair! For more details, visit https://t.co/nB5kQPvYBo pic.twitter.com/0d8ufkycgc
— Big Fresno Fair (@BigFresnoFair) October 5, 2023
• The Pop! Culture Experience is back — This Comic-Con style building has a variety of new and returning vendors, plus retro and new-gen video gaming, eSports tournament play, and cosplay characters. All gaming is free with your paid fair admission. The video games include Super Mario Kart on a giant track.
• Kids’ Town & Wild Science – Kids’ Town is back and will feature the hands-on Wild Science! Exhibit. Take an excursion into the wild and amazing world of science through lots of interactive, fun, and visually captivating displays and activities! Free with your paid fair admission.
• Livin’ Local Marketplace – An area dedicated to local artisans, the Livin’ Local Marketplace debuted in 2021. Featuring 40 vendors, It has everything from jewelry to clothing, baked goods to art.
• FlippenOut! Extreme Trampoline – All shows are free with your paid fair admission. Watch aerial artists flip, twirl, and land amazing jumps.
Live horse racing begins on Friday, Oct. 6. Post-time is 1:45 p.m.