Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

18 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

19 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

21 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

21 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

23 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Two Veteran California Pilots Killed in Midair Collision During Reno Air Races
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 2 years ago on
September 19, 2023

Share

RENO, Nev. — Two veteran California pilots were killed over the weekend when their World War II-era planes collided in midair while preparing to land just after finishing first and second in a title race at the National Championship Air Races north of Reno.

Officials identified the victims of Sunday’s crash as Chris Rushing of Thousand Oaks and Nick Macy, 67, of Tulelake.

Race officials said they were cooperating with the National Transportation Safety Board, the Federal Aviation Administration and local authorities to determine the cause of the crash.

The crash marred the 59th and final year of the National Championship Air Races at the Reno-Stead Airport. The deaths brought the number of pilots or performers who have died at the Reno races to 24 since the event began in 1964, along with 10 spectators who died during a crash on the edge of the grandstand in 2011.

“It’s a particularly poignant end to our final flag in Reno,” Reno Air Racing Association CEO Fred Telling told the Reno Gazette-Journal Sunday night. “But the racing family will stay together and race again somewhere.”

Organizers announced last year that the event has to find a new location because of increased development around the airport and other concerns.

Those concerns included rising insurance costs since 2011, when a highly modified North American P-51D Mustang racing aircraft crashed into spectators while competing at the Reno Air Races that September, killing former Hollywood stunt pilot Jimmy Leeward and 10 people on the ground.

It was one of the deadliest air show disasters in U.S. history. Another 70 people were seriously injured.

Last year, pilot Aaron Hogue, 61, of Henderson, Nevada, died in a crash during the September competition just north of Reno. Two months later at a Dallas air show, all six people aboard two vintage aircraft were killed when a P-63 Kingcobra fighter plane collided with a B-17 Flying Fortress bomber.

Crash Claims Two Skilled, Expert Pilots

On Sunday, Rushing had just won the T-6 Gold race at an average speed of 234 mph in his plane named Baron’s Revenge and Macy had finished second about 15 seconds behind him in his Six-Cat. Both were preparing to land when the two single-engine planes “collided in midair,” the FAA said.

Telling told the Reno newspaper, “It wasn’t a racing accident.”

“It was indeed a post-race landing accident,” he said. “We all are curious of how this came to pass.”

The FAA said the NTSB would take the lead in the investigation. The NTSB didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment on Monday.

Telling described Rushing and Macy as skilled, expert pilots. Rushing was the defending champion in the race. Macy had won it six times over the years. Both their planes, which had been used to train pilots in World War II, were destroyed when they crashed in the high desert outside the race course about 5 miles east of the California line.

Rushing was dedicated to promoting the history of the World War II-era AT-6 Texan trainer plane as head of a nonprofit organization in Van Nuys, California, The Orange County Register reported.

Telling said at least six communities have filed to host the 2025 national championship. He did not disclose the locations. The racing association hopes to announce a new location in early 2024, it said in a Facebook post Monday afternoon.

“While there are inherent risks with any motorsport, we work diligently year around to mitigate these risks and safety is our foremost priority,” the association said. “Despite the sad way we have ended our storied tenure in northern Nevada, we want to express our appreciation to the countless fans and volunteers who have supported the event over the years … through both the good and troubling times.”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

15 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

15 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

15 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

15 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

15 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

16 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

17 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

17 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

18 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

18 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

13 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
13 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
13 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
14 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
15 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

15 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
15 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
15 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
15 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend