Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

16 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

17 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

19 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

19 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

21 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Fresno Court Ends Zero-Dollar Bail Policy. Should Alleged Fentanyl Trafficker Been Released?
David Taub Website photo 2024
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 3 years ago on
January 4, 2023

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A suspected drug trafficker was released from jail Tuesday on zero-dollar bail — a policy that no longer exists.

Pedro Miranda-Muro was arrested by Fresno County Sheriff’s Office detectives, and charged with HS 11351, possession with intent to sell. The maximum penalty is four years imprisonment. He was released 16 hours later, as the drug possession charge is eligible for what was believed to be the court’s bail order.

Fresno County Sheriff John Zanoni said Wednesday it’s believed that Miranda-Muro has fled to Southern California or Mexico.

“We are actively looking for him because now the federal prosecutors are going to take a look at the case and have issued a warrant for his arrest. But these are the kind of individuals that are out there transporting this large amount of fentanyl, a large amount of heroin, and they’re automatically released under $0 bail. So this today, on January 4th, is a huge win for us, and it’s going to make our community safer,” Zanoni said Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon, a court spokesperson confirmed that the order, Local Rule 3.1.14, no longer applies.

“Order No. 3.1.14 has been deleted from the court’s website as it is no longer in effect.  The current bail schedule is posted on the website and has been sent to the jail, law enforcement agencies, and justice partners,” Fresno County Superior Court told GV Wire.

Several law enforcement agencies were informed Wednesday of the 2023 bail schedule, which does not include the emergency bail order (also known as “zero-dollar bail”). For much of the day, they were in a state of confusion on the status of the policy.

A posting on the court’s website said the repeal was made “by a majority of judges” on the court. The effective date was today, Jan. 4. It did not indicate when the judges made that decision.

If the new policy had been in place on Sunday, Jan. 1, Miranda-Muro, 23 of Los Angeles, would have faced bail set at $225,000.

Zanoni wished there was “better communication” from the court about the repeal.

Law Enforcement Agrees with Return of Bail

No matter when the emergency bail policy was rescinded, law enforcement leaders are happy to see it go.

Fresno Police Chief Paco Balderrama said the policy made sense during the height of the COVID pandemic, but it led to a spike in violent crime in 2020 and 2021.

“A lack of consequences and accountability do not foster a practice of non-violence for those who do not respect the law or a peaceful society,” Balderrama told GV Wire in a text.

“Although I am a strong proponent of rehabilitation, mental health services, and other violence reduction efforts associated with procedural justice, these must be balanced with consistent accountability and appropriate consequences for serious crime. We look forward to further reductions in violent crime with the elimination of the practice of zero-dollar bail,” Balderrama said.

Fresno County District Attorney Lisa Smittcamp said her office lobbied the court to include more exemptions to zero-dollar bail, if the policy remained.

“We are very excited that the zero-dollar bail has been revoked and that the court has made that decision. And we are looking forward to having 2023 return to a place where there is more accountability and more responsibility held on behalf of people who choose to commit crimes,” Smittcamp said.

She said the court’s decision indicated two things — the court takes fentanyl seriously, and the court has adjusted, while COVID has waned.

Zanoni also praised the return of the bail schedule, saying it would “keep the community safer.”

12.5 Pounds Seized

Early Tuesday morning, sheriff’s detectives spotted a car near Cantua Creek and pulled it over.

A drug-sniffing dog detected narcotics, and the driver was arrested. The location, in the area of Interstate 5 near Highway 33, is known as a drug-trafficking corridor by law enforcement.

Sixteen hours later, Miranda-Muro was released from jail, part of the court system’s emergency bail order, otherwise known as “zero-dollar bail.”

A sheriff’s spokesman was critical of the emergency bail system.

“The acting presiding judge has the autonomy to remove or alter that rule at any time they see fit,” Tony Botti told CBS 47.

Jail records show Miranda-Muro was booked into jail at 12:52 a.m. Tuesday, and released at 2:52 p.m. He was one of 11 inmates released over three days under “emergency” bail.

“Detectives discovered 11 pounds of pure Fentanyl powder and 1.5 pounds of heroin inside his car. The Fentanyl’s street value is approximately $230,000 and the heroin is $12,000,” a sheriff’s office news release said.

The DEA says that one kilogram has “the potential to kill 500,000 people.” One kilogram is 2.2 pounds.

Zero-Dollar Bail a Pandemic-Era Program

Zero-dollar bail was the policy of the Fresno County Court, a system put in place in March 2020 as the COVID pandemic took hold. Suspects arrested for either felony or misdemeanor charges, with some exceptions, were eligible for $0 bail.

Through a court spokesperson, Presiding Judge David Kalemkarian declined to respond to Botti’s criticism.

The emergency bail order started as a statewide policy to help curb jail overcrowding during the pandemic. The state Judicial Council rescinded the policy in June 2020 but allowed counties to keep, alter or remove it.

Several counties ended their emergency bail orders last year, including Los Angeles and Santa Clara.

 

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

UP NEXT

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

UP NEXT

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

13 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

13 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

13 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

13 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

13 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

14 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

15 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

15 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

16 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

16 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

11 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
11 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
11 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
12 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
13 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

13 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
13 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
13 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
13 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend