Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Environmental Win: Caglia Pulls Plug on Mega Industrial Park
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 6 years ago on
January 12, 2019

Share

A planned south Fresno business park project, touted by City Hall as an economic driver but pilloried by environmentalists, is no more.
Caglia Environmental is pulling the plug on a 2-million square foot industrial park project, slated for Central and Orange avenues. The project received unanimous approval from the Fresno City Council nearly a year ago. Neighbors and environmentalist responded with a lawsuit.
“While granting the applicant’s request to rescind his development permit is regrettable because it delays when new jobs could come to deserving Fresnans, I support the decision because it is the right thing to do to move this project forward in a responsible manner and bring more investment, jobs, and opportunities to our community,” said Fresno Mayor Lee Brand.
“I would also like to add that under my leadership the city of Fresno is moving full speed ahead on a Programmatic EIR to study over 6,000 acres of land in order to spur industrial, warehouse, and e-commerce job creation efforts.”
The manner in which the council approved the project became a wedge issue in the recent District 3 council race, won by Miguel Arias. He denounced the way the city chose industry over people.
“This was clearly mishandled by the city since the beginning,” Arias said. “They proceeded to fast-track a project that would have a significant impact on the environmental health of residents without following the basic environmental review process.”

Caglia: ‘Do Over’ Needed


“It would need to be a do-over. At this point in time … I am in the processing of evaluating that. I don’t know what it looks like yet.” — Richard Caglia
During the debate about the project, neighbors organized and raised concerns about the environmental effects of adding another mega industrial park in the area. Amazon and Ulta have facilities nearby.
Now, Caglia has asked the city to rescind its approval.
On Tuesday (Jan. 8), Caglia’s attorney sent the city a letter asking the council to unwind the development permit and approval of the environmental assessment. The council will consider that request at its Jan. 17 meeting.
“It speaks for itself,” Caglia said. “It would need to be a do-over. At this point in time … I am in the processing of evaluating that. I don’t know what it looks like yet.”
Despite the seeming end of the project, Caglia said his company’s business prospects for the coming year remain positive.
“Life is short. I have my health, my kids have their health. I have a roof over my head. I’ve got a job, I’m paying my bills. How much luckier can I be than that?” said Caglia, who is a State Center Community College District trustee.

Validation for Residents

Photo of Miguel Arias
“It’s a validation for the residents of west Fresno and it’s a reminder to the mayor’s office and City Hall that they can’t simply fast-track corporate interests at the expense of local residents.” — Councilman Miguel Arias
“It’s a validation for the residents of west Fresno and it’s a reminder to the mayor’s office and City Hall that they can’t simply fast-track corporate interests at the expense of local residents,” Arias said.
Arias began his council term earlier this week. He pointed to the approval of this project during his campaign as something he wanted to change on behalf of his constituents.
“My district in that neighborhood has the highest concentration of pollution in the state of California. It was shortsighted to believe they can simply fast-track a project like this and ignore any impact on neighbors,” Arias said.
Residents Daniel Macias expressed joy at the latest news.
“We’re relieved this step was finally taken. If we need to keep fighting, we’ll take that course,” said Macias, a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

Project Approval Leads to Lawsuit

Under the name South Central Neighbors United, the group filed a suit, which is ongoing. The suit alleged that the city failed to undertake proper environmental review.
Attorney General Xavier Becerra intervened on behalf of the plaintiffs.
Among the concerns: increased traffic because of more trucks, the associated effect on air quality, and the prevalence of a cancer cluster in the neighbors south of the proposed project.
The council, believing that the project could create jobs and economic prosperity, approved the project nonetheless. City officials pointed out that the land was already zoned industrial.
Arias said that the city may also be on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorney fees for both sides.

 

Brandau Disappointed

Councilman Steve Brandau supported the project then, and still does.
“It’s a sad day that hundreds of millions of dollars in economic development and hundreds of jobs are being sidelined,” Brandau said.
During the debate, Brandau called out environmentalists.
“To Ashley Werner and the Leadership Counsel for Justice and Accountability, which really to me, those are poverty pimps. That organization is poverty pimps. They play on people’s fears. They come down here constantly, now, standing in the way of the very thing folks need. And, our community needs more importantly,” Brandau said that evening.
While rebuked by colleagues for the comment, Brandau never backed down.
Brandau, who took the gavel as council president on Thursday (Jan. 10), is also running for county supervisor in a March 5 special election.
In many public appearances and speeches throughout the year, Mayor Lee Brand pointed to the Caglia project as an economic boost for the city.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

13 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

15 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

16 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

17 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

18 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

18 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

12 hours ago

12 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
12 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

13 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

13 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
15 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

16 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend