U.S. intelligence agencies attribute Iran for hacking Trump's campaign, citing efforts to interfere in American politics. (AP/Julia Nikhinson)
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
WASHINGTON — U.S. intelligence officials said Monday that Iran is responsible for the hack of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. It was the first U.S. government attribution of responsibility for a cyber intrusion that the Republican nominee had previously linked to Tehran.
The FBI and other federal agencies said Iran perceived this year’s presidential election to be particularly consequential and was determined through the hacking operation and other activities to interfere in American politics and “to stoke discord and undermine confidence in our democratic institutions.”
“We have observed increasingly aggressive Iranian activity during this election cycle, specifically involving influence operations targeting the American public and cyber operations targeting Presidential campaigns,” said a joint statement from the FBI, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
Related Story: Did Taylor Swift Endorse Trump? No, but He Claims She Did Anyway
Hackers Targeted Both Political Parties
The statement said the Iranian hackers have “sought access to individuals with direct access to the Presidential campaigns of both political parties.” The FBI has been investigating attempts to gain access to Democrat Kamala Harris’ campaign.
RELATED TOPICS:
Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way
13 hours ago
LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities
15 hours ago
Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash
15 hours ago
Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday
16 hours ago
Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg
16 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities
