President-elect Donald Trump arrives to speak at a meeting of the House GOP conference, Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2024, in Washington. (AP/Alex Brandon)

- President-elect Donald Trump and his allies jump on a false report from Fox News to attribute the New Orleans terror attack to migrants.
- The U.S. Army veteran who drove a pickup truck into the crowd of New Year’s revelers acted alone, the FBI said Thursday.
- Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas, posted videos on Facebook before the attack in which he aligned himself with IS.
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
President-elect Donald Trump and his allies jumped on a false report from Fox News, which cited anonymous sources, to claim that the suspect in the New Orleans terror attack crossed the U.S. border in Eagle Pass, Texas “two days ago.”
The misinformation continues to circulate — “serving as a cautionary tale about the news ecosystem as the new year begins,” writes CNN’s Brian Steltzer.
Some of the Fox News coverage explicitly said “the suspect” drove across the border, leaving viewers with the impression that a foreigner might be responsible for the deadly carnage.
‘Biden’s Parting Gift to America’: Trump Jr.
“Biden’s parting gift to America — migrant terrorists,” Donald Trump Jr. wrote, sharing the Fox claim on X. “Shut the border down!!!” Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene exclaimed.
Continues Steltzer: “Eight minutes after the first Fox segment that mentioned the border, (President-elect Donald) Trump issued a statement about “criminals coming in” from other countries. While Trump didn’t mention Fox directly, he is known to be an avid consumer of the cable network and has tapped several of its personalities for his incoming cabinet.”
FBI Says Army Veteran Responsible for Attack
The U.S. Army veteran who drove a pickup truck into the crowd of New Year’s revelers acted alone, the FBI said Thursday, reversing its position from a day earlier that he likely worked with others in carrying out the deadly attack, which officials say was an act of terrorism inspired by the Islamic State group.
The FBI also revealed that the driver, Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas, posted five videos on his Facebook account in the hours before the attack in which he aligned himself with IS and told viewers that he had joined the militant group before last summer.
“This was an act of terrorism. It was premeditated and an evil act,” said Christopher Raia, the deputy assistant director of the FBI’s counterterrorism division.
The attack killed 14 people, including an 18-year-old woman who had ambitions of becoming a nurse. Authorities initially put the death toll at 15, which included Jabbar, who was fatally shot in a firefight with police.
Read more at this link and this link.
RELATED TOPICS:
Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption
14 hours ago
Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’
14 hours ago
Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams
14 hours ago
Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion
15 hours ago
Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact
16 hours ago
Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US
16 hours ago
Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family
16 hours ago
Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports
9 hours ago
Categories

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’
