A Central Unified administrator died in a motorcycle collision Tuesday night near Shaver Lake, the California Highway Patrol said.

Kelly Porterfield served as the district’s assistant superintendent and chief business officer. He was the district’s interim superintendent in 2018.

Collision with Vehicle Attempting U-Turn

According to CHP Sgt. Matt Zulim, a Dodge Caravan was traveling east on Highway 168, between Bretz Mill and Shaver Lake Forest roads. About 5:37 p.m., the driver — a 25-year-old man from North Hollywood — pulled over and attempted to make a U-turn.

Porterfield, riding a 2019 Honda 125 cc motorcycle, crashed into the driver’s side of the Caravan.

There were no apparent skid or brake marks. The driver called 911 and stayed at the scene. Emergency crews arrived but could not save Porterfield.

Zulim says neither drugs nor alcohol appear to be a factor. Porterfield was wearing a helmet.

An investigation is under review, with an autopsy scheduled for Thursday. The driver was not arrested or cited, but if found liable he could be charged with manslaughter.

Reaction from the School District

“It’s devastating news. The district suffered a big loss today,” said Terry Cox, a Central Unified school board trustee. “Mr. Porterfield has led many projects in the district. We are going to miss his expertise and skills.”

A statement from the school district said Porterfield had been with Central Unified for seven years. It said Porterfield led efforts to upgrade facilities, build Tilley Elementary School, and begin construction of a new, state-of-the-art high school.

“He is beloved by every employee in the district. His dedication to his family, work, and the Central Unified community make his loss all the more devastating to us,” the statement said.

Porterfield, 51, is survived by his wife, Melissa, four children, and three grandchildren.

13 Responses

1. Nancy Flynn

That is a VERY treacherous part of the road because there is a blind sport turning left off of Bretz Mill Road onto 168….just very dangerous. No time for the motorcyclist to brake with a car making a uturn in the road. So sorry for this man’s family. Lives changed in a split second.

• Kevin Mulligan

You are so right… we live part time down Bretz Mil and I’m always telling my wife and kids that the hump on the road there creates a blind spot and to be super super careful there. Very dangerous area of the road. Terrible accident…very sad.

2. Cathy Halpern

This is my neighbor and friend. He and his family had my son at his house more often than he was at home. This wonderful man is survived by his wife, FOUR children as well as three grandchildren. He is loved and will be missed very much.

3. Kristina Reymunda LaMattina

Kelly is my former landlord and friend. Always smiling and positive. I have witnessed how close he is with his kids and beautiful wife. Through their sweat and hard work, they revitalized and cleaned up my apartment complex. (No easy task) He will be missed.

4. Brett Phillips

I was a child friend of his from Brea California. Kelly was an outstanding Linebacker in football, and all around good person…May the Good Lord hold him in his sacred heart….and look down upon his family and comfort them in this difficult time…
    You will be missed by all Brea Olinda High School alumni….

5. Diana Alvarez

He was my Landlord I’m sadden to find out about this tragedy Prayers for his Family.
    He always had a smile, thats how I will remember him

6. Blake armas

Rest In Peace Brother Porterfield. You will never be forgotten for the influence you have had in the church, the community and in my personal life.

7. Linda Elizondo

He was my landlord and gave us such a wonderful opportunity by selecting us to move into one of his rental homes. While we were moving in I got to witness his generosity, kindness, extreme love for his wife, children and especially his grand babies of which he couldn’t help gush over. I pray our god hold his family, friends and loved ones close. He will be greatly missed!

8. Barry Tambara

Kelly was a student of ours at Brea Olinda High School. I was the ASB advisor when Kelly served the student body as a valuable member of the group. He was an outstanding FB player and a great all-around guy … a hard worker with a positive outlook on life, he was always smiling and spreading joy and laughter whenever and wherever he was with you.

Thoughts and prayers to the entire Porterfield family for their tragic loss.