Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Trade Battle: China Raises Tariffs on $60 Billion in U.S. Goods
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
May 13, 2019

Share

BEIJING โ€” Deepening its trade battle with the U.S. and sending financial markets spinning, China announced tariff hikes Monday on $60 billion of American goods in retaliation for President Donald Trumpโ€™s latest penalties on Chinese products.

Punitive charges of 5% to 25% on thousands of American products including batteries, spinach and coffee will take effect June 1, the Finance Ministry said. That extends Chinese duty increases to $110 billion of imports from the United States.

The announcement followed an increase of U.S. duties on $200 billion of Chinese imports to 25% from 10% in the increasingly bitter dispute. American officials have accused China of backtracking on commitments they say it made in earlier negotiations.

On Twitter, Trump warned Chinese President Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) his country โ€œwill be hurt very badlyโ€ if it doesnโ€™t agree to a trade deal.

Trump tweeted China โ€œhad a great deal, almost completed, & you backed out!โ€

The president insisted increases on Chinese goods donโ€™t hurt American consumers, saying there is โ€œno reason for the U.S. Consumer to pay the Tariffs.โ€

Beijing Is Running out of U.S. Imports for Penalties

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow acknowledged Sunday that U.S. consumers and businesses do pay the tariffs. โ€œBoth sides will pay,โ€ he told Fox News.

A 25% tariff applies to 2,493 items including industrial chemicals, electronic equipment, precision machinery and hundreds of food products, according to the Finance Ministry. A 20% penalty applies to 1,078 items, 10% to 974 items and 5% to 662 items.

China had vowed โ€œnecessary countermeasuresโ€ on Friday against Trumpโ€™s escalation.

Frazzled by the uncertainty, shares sank Monday across the globe. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 622.10 points or 2.4%, while the Standard & Poorโ€™s 500 sank 2.5% in early trading.

Chinaโ€™s announcement Monday said tariff increases are going ahead based on a list of $60 billion of U.S. goods Beijing released in August. That list was issued in response to Trumpโ€™s threat to raise tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods to 25% from 10%. Beijing said then it wouldnโ€™t take action until the U.S. increases took effect, which finally happened on Friday.

A 25% tariff applies to 2,493 items including industrial chemicals, electronic equipment, precision machinery and hundreds of food products, according to the Finance Ministry. A 20% penalty applies to 1,078 items, 10% to 974 items and 5% to 662 items.

Beijing is running out of U.S. imports for penalties due to the lopsided trade balance between the worldโ€™s two largest economies. Regulators have targeted American companies in China by slowing down customs clearance for shipments and processing of business licenses.

The new tariffs are likely to hurt exporters on both sides, as well as European and Asian companies that trade between the United States and China or supply components and raw materials to their manufacturers.

 

The Latest Talks Ended With No Word of Progress

The increases already in place have disrupted trade in goods from soybeans to medical equipment and sent shockwaves through other Asian economies that supply Chinese factories.

Forecasters have warned that the U.S. tariff hikes could set back a Chinese recovery that had appeared to be gaining traction. Growth in the worldโ€™s second-largest economy held steady at 6.4% over a year earlier in January-March, supported by higher government spending and bank lending.

The tensions โ€œraise fresh doubts about this recovery path,โ€ said Morgan Stanley economists Robin Xing, Jenny Zheng and Zhipeng Cai in a report.

The latest U.S. charges could knock 0.5 percentage points off annual Chinese economic growth and that loss could widen to 1 percentage point if both sides extend penalties to all of each otherโ€™s exports, economists say. That would pull annual growth below 6%, raising the risk of politically dangerous job losses.

The latest talks ended with no word of progress on Friday. Chinese officials said they hoped that the U.S. side would meet them halfway, describing the standoff as just a โ€œsetback.โ€

Trump might meet his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, during next monthโ€™s meeting of the Group of 20 major economies in Osaka, said Kudlow, his economic adviser, Larry Kudlow.

Trump Started Raising Tariffs Last July

Chinaโ€™s state media tried to reassure businesses and consumers the ruling Communist Party has the resources and policy tools to respond.

โ€œThere is nothing to be afraid of. The U.S.-instigated trade war against China is just a hurdle in Chinaโ€™s development process. It is no big deal.โ€ โ€” Peopleโ€™s Daily

โ€œThere is nothing to be afraid of,โ€ said the party newspaper Peopleโ€™s Daily. โ€œThe U.S.-instigated trade war against China is just a hurdle in Chinaโ€™s development process. It is no big deal.โ€

Trump started raising tariffs last July over complaints China steals or pressures companies to hand over technology.

Washington wants Beijing to roll back government support for Chinese companies striving to become global leaders in robotics and other technology. The U.S. and other trading partners say such efforts violate Beijingโ€™s free-trade commitments.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEXโ€™s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEXโ€™s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wireโ€™s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 โ€œGreat Dayโ€ anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

36 minutes ago

36 minutes ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEXโ€™s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
46 minutes ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

2 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

2 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
3 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend