Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Syrian, Turkish Armies Engage in New Deadly Clashes in Idlib
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
March 4, 2020

Share

ANKARA, Turkey — Two more Turkish soldiers were killed Wednesday in a Syrian government attack in Syria’s northwest, the country’s Defense Ministry said, as steady clashes between the two national armies continued to rack up casualties.

“We expect to reach a shared view of the cause of the current crisis, its consequences and agree on a set of measures to overcome it.” — Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov  
Turkey has sent thousands of troops into the area to support Syrian insurgents holed up there, but hasn’t been able to stop a Russian-backed Syrian government offensive to retake Idlib province.
A Syrian opposition war monitor said nine Syrian soldiers were also killed in Turkish drone attacks in the area.
The Turkish Defense Ministry’s statement said the latest Syrian attack on its troops also wounded six soldiers. It did not provide further details.
The assault came as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was scheduled to depart for Moscow, where he said he aims to broker a cease-fire in Syria with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Turkey and Russia are the two main power brokers in Syria and each supports rival sides in the nine-year conflict.
“We expect to reach a shared view of the cause of the current crisis, its consequences and agree on a set of measures to overcome it,” Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov said of the upcoming meeting.

Syrian Opposition Activists Reported Intense Clashes Near the Government-Held Town of Saraqeb

Russian officials have said they hold Turkey responsible for the collapse of a cease-fire agreement reached in Sochi, Russia in 2018. They say Ankara has failed to honor the deal and rein in militants who continued attacking Syrian and Russian targets. Turkey has rejected the Russian assertion, saying Ankara was making progress against radical groups in Idlib when the Syrian government launched its offensive.
Earlier on Wednesday, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov assailed Turkey for shielding “terrorists” in Idlib, a statement that reflected Moscow’s forceful posture ahead of the Syria talks.
In a statement, Konashenkov said that under the 2018 agreement with Russia, Turkey was obliged to ensure that militants in Idlib pull back 15-20 kilometers (9-12 miles) from the de-escalation zone along with their heavy weapons. Instead, he argued, al-Qaida-linked militants “and other terrorist groups pushed moderate rebels north toward the border with Turkey.”
Konashenkov also assailed the West for turning a blind eye to Turkish military action in Syria “in violation of international law” and treating Turkish threats to destroy Syrian army units as a “legitimate self-defense.”
Syrian opposition activists reported intense clashes near the government-held town of Saraqeb that sits on a major highway linking Syria’s two largest cities, Damascus and Aleppo. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition war monitor, said Turkish drone attacks near Saraqeb killed nine Syrian soldiers.

Assad Was Making a Point That There Is No Animosity on the Part of Syria Toward the People of Turkey

The Russian military said in a statement Wednesday that “a group of terrorists” made a failed attempt to detonate ammunition placed next to chemical storage tanks in the western part of Saraqeb two days ago. It claimed that the failed attempt was a bid to blame the Syrian government for launching a chemical attack.

Assad was making a point that there is no animosity on the part of Syria toward the people of Turkey but to the political leadership of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. 
The Russian military said the militants were poisoned when one of the tanks leaked before they could detonate the explosives.
Clashes between Turkish and Syrian forces in northwestern Syria have killed 58 Turkish troops in the past month, including 33 soldiers killed Thursday in a single airstrike.
In an interview with Russian state TV channel Rossiya 24, Assad described the Turks as a “brotherly people” and asked them: “What’s your problem with Syria? What is the problem that makes Turkish citizens die for (it)?” Assad was referring to Turkish troops killed recently in Syria.
Assad was making a point that there is no animosity on the part of Syria toward the people of Turkey but to the political leadership of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Syrian state media refer to Erdogan’s government as the “Turkish regime.”
“Syria and Turkey share common interests. There are many ethnic Syrians in Turkey and many ethnic Turks in Syria,” Assad said. He claimed that Syria has not carried out any hostile acts against Turkey.
[activecampaign form=29]

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

The NBA’s Playoff Chase Enters Its Final Days. Here’s a Look at What’s Happening

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

8 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

8 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

9 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

10 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

10 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

10 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

11 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

11 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

11 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

13 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

8 hours ago

8 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
8 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
8 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

8 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

8 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

9 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

10 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
10 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend