Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Voice of America Wins in Court, for Now, as Judge Blocks Trump Administration From Firing Staff
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 2 days ago on
April 1, 2025

The Voice of America building, Monday, June 15, 2020, in Washington. (AP File)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

NEW YORK — The Voice of America can’t be silenced just yet.

A federal judge on Friday halted the Trump administration’s efforts to dismantle the eight-decade-old U.S. government-funded international news service, calling the move a “classic case of arbitrary and capricious decision making.”

Judge James Paul Oetken blocked the U.S. Agency for Global Media, which runs Voice of America, from firing more than 1,200 journalists, engineers and other staff that it sidelined two weeks ago in the wake of President Donald Trump ordering its funding slashed.

Oetken issued a temporary restraining order barring the agency from “any further attempt to terminate, reduce-in-force, place on leave, or furlough” employees or contractors, and from closing any offices or requiring overseas employees to return to the U.S.

The order also bars the Agency for Global Media from terminating grant funding for its other broadcast outlets, including Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia and Radio Free Afghanistan. The agency said Thursday it was restoring Radio Free Europe’s funding after a judge in Washington, D.C. ordered it to do so.

“This is a decisive victory for press freedom and the First Amendment, and a sharp rebuke” to the Trump administration’s “utter disregard for the principles that define our democracy,” said the plaintiffs’ lawyer Andrew G. Celli Jr.

Trump Administration’s Approach Is Criticized

At a hearing Friday in Manhattan, Oetken faulted the Trump administration for “taking a sledgehammer to an agency that has been statutorily authorized and funded by Congress.”

The judge criticized the agency’s leadership, including special adviser Kari Lake, for pulling the plug “seemingly overnight” on the U.S. government’s global, soft-power megaphone with “no consideration of the effects.”

Oetken ruled after a coalition of Voice of America journalists, labor unions and the nonprofit journalism advocacy group Reporters Without Borders sued the Trump administration last week to block the cuts. Ultimately, they seek to have VOA return to the air.

The plaintiffs argued the shutdown violated a court’s finding during Trump’s first term that VOA journalists have a free-speech firewall protecting them from White House interference. Their absence from the airwaves has left a vacuum that’s being filled by “propagandists whose messages will monopolize global airwaves,” the plaintiffs said.

Trump and other Republicans have accused Voice of America of a “leftist bias” and failing to project “pro-American” values to its worldwide audience, even though it is mandated by congress to serve as a non-partisan news organization.

Voice of America went off the air soon after Trump issued an executive order on March 14 that pared funding to the Agency for Global Media and six other unrelated federal entities — part of his campaign to shrink government and align its with his political agenda. It also moved this month to terminate VOA contracts with news agencies, including The Associated Press.

The White House called the service “The Voice of Radical America” and said Trump’s order would “ensure that taxpayers are no longer on the hook for radical propaganda.” It cited coverage it said was “too favorable” to former President Joe Biden, as well as stories about white privilege, racial profiling and transgender migrants seeking asylum.

Congress has appropriated nearly $860 million for the Agency for Global Media for the current fiscal year.

Additional Lawsuits Are Pending

Three federal lawsuits in Washington, D.C. are challenging other aspects of the cuts, including one brought by Voice of America’s director and three journalists. Oetken said he’ll rule at a later date on the government’s request to move his case there.

Voice of America has operated since World War II, beaming news into authoritarian countries that don’t have a free press. It began as a counterpoint to Nazi propaganda and played a prominent role in the U.S. government’s Cold War efforts to curb the spread of communism.

According to the lawsuit, Voice of America employees were told to finish their live broadcasts on March 15, then vacate the building. Soon after, the lawsuit said, they lost access to agency computer systems, including email. Voice of America’s news website hasn’t been updated since.

Lake, a former TV news anchor and political candidate, said she has been determining how many people are required to operate some of these outlets at the minimum staffing levels allowed by law.

Some people have been brought back to work and at least one service — Radio Marti in Cuba — has returned to the air, Lake told One America News Network in an interview posted Thursday on X.

“We’re going to get lawsuits,” Lake said. “This is just par for the course. We’ve been victims — President Trump has, I myself have — of ‘lawfare’. It’s the same cast of characters that is trying to put landmines in the ways of every step President Trump and this administration is trying to do to get this government back in line to where we can actually afford it.”

Lake, echoing the White House’s complaints, said: “We want to make sure that these agencies are in line with what our American values are. We’re telling America’s story. We’re not telling our adversaries’ stories.”

“By God,” she said, “we’re not going to be putting out anti-American garbage.”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

DON'T MISS

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

DON'T MISS

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

DON'T MISS

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

DON'T MISS

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

DON'T MISS

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

DON'T MISS

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

DON'T MISS

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

DON'T MISS

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

DON'T MISS

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

UP NEXT

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

UP NEXT

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

UP NEXT

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

18 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

18 hours ago

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

18 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

18 hours ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

19 hours ago

Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion

19 hours ago

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

20 hours ago

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

20 hours ago

Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US

20 hours ago

Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family

20 hours ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

WASHINGTON — The Senate passed a resolution Wednesday night that would thwart President Donald Trump’s ability to impose tariffs on Canada, ...

13 hours ago

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., center, is joined from left by Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., Sen. Peter Welch, D-Vt., and Sen. Angela Alsobrooks, D-Md., as they speak to reporters about President Donald Trump's tariffs on foreign countries, at the Capitol, in Washington, Wednesday, April 2, 2025. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
13 hours ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

17 hours ago

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

17 hours ago

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

A young Labrador mix rescued from a Fresno canal on Sunday, March 2, 2025, is thriving in a foster home after overcoming fear and trauma. (Instagram/Fresno Animal Center)
18 hours ago

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

18 hours ago

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’

18 hours ago

Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams

18 hours ago

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

19 hours ago

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend