Connect with us


Yosemite Reopens Thursday. You’ll Need a Reservation to Get In.



Photo of Nevada Fall near Liberty Cap as seen from the John Muir Trail in Yosemite National Park
Share with friends

Most of Yosemite National Park will reopen to visitors on Thursday, but most people will need to reserve a spot in advance to get in.

Information posted on the park website Monday said only 1,700 vehicle passes will be issued each day and must be booked online. The number of reservations is about half of the park’s daily average vehicle traffic for this time of year, the website says. 

Passes for June and July On Sale Tuesday Morning

Reservations for all of June and July will be available starting at 7 a.m. Tuesday via the website The cost for a day-use vehicle reservation is $35, but those with an annual pass or other similar park passes will only be charged a $2 reservation fee. The reservation will allow all passengers in a vehicle to enter the park.

“Reservations will go quickly; be sure to be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 7 a.m. Pacific time.”National Park Service website

“Visitors will be invited to enjoy 800 miles of park trails and popular destinations including Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove, Tuolumne Meadows, and Hetch Hetchy,” the website noted.

While most of the park will be open, the popular Bridalveil Fall area will be closed due to scheduled maintenance.

The Yosemite Park website said visitors must arrive on the first day of their reservation to have their pass validated. The day-use pass will then be valid for the next seven consecutive days.

“If you arrive after the first day indicated on the reservation, your reservation may be invalid,” the website warns.

Must Show Reservation and I.D. at Park Gate

In addition, the website says the person making the reservation must show an ID along with their confirmation at the entrance gate to receive their day-use pass.

Under the park’s online reservation system, 80% of all available reservations for June and July will go on sale Tuesday. The remaining 20% of each day’s reservations will be held back and released for online sale two days before the specified date at 7 a.m. Reservations are not available at the park’s entrance gates.

“Reservations will go quickly,” the website noted. “(Be) sure to be logged in and ready to get a reservation promptly at 7 a.m. Pacific time.”

Limited campground reservations will also be available starting Tuesday, the park service says.

Those who are not successful in making vehicle reservations can still get into the park on bicycle, foot, or horseback, the website says. Park entrance fees of $15 per individual will still apply, however, and must be paid by credit card.

Click here to see the full Yosemite National Park reservation FAQ.  

Randy Reed is a writer and content producer for GV Wire. He has experience reporting for local radio stations and newspapers. In addition, he an extensive background in video production focused on news and documentary subjects. Reed is a proud graduate of California State University, Fresno with a degree in Mass Communications. In his free time, Reed enjoys digital photography as a hobby and loves to explore the scenic beauty of our Valley’s three spectacular National Parks. You can contact Randy at 559-705-2107 or Send an Email.