Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
California to Move Some Condemned Inmates off Death Row
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
February 13, 2020

Share

SACRAMENTO — More than 700 condemned inmates on California’s largest-in-the-nation death row soon will have a chance to transfer to one of eight state prisons, a move a former district attorney termed “a slap to the face” of victims.
The voluntary transfers from San Quentin State Prison’s all-male death row to other high-security prisons could benefit condemned inmates not only with more freedom and a change of scenery, but provide an opportunity to participate in rehabilitation and work programs.
That may sound like another in a series of steps California lawmakers and voters have taken in recent years to reduce criminal penalties. But it actually was part of a ballot initiative voters narrowly approved four years ago to try to speed up executions.
The state hasn’t executed anyone since 2006 but voters have continued to back the death penalty even as they reduced many drug and property crimes from felonies to misdemeanors and allowed for the earlier parole of thousands of inmates.
Former San Bernardino District Attorney Mike Ramos, co-chairman of the Proposition 66 committee that backed the 2016 initiative, said this isn’t what voters intended when 51% favored quicker executions by assigning more lawyers to death sentence appeals and shifting some appeals to trial court judges.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom imposed a moratorium when he took office last year that he said would last as long as he is in office.

‘There’s Not Much Point in Trying to Rehabilitate Condemned Inmates’

Victims’ families “suffer every day,” Ramos said. “Now to say that this murderer is going to be allowed to go to a rehabilitation program and be treated like any other low-grade inmate is a slap to the face.”

“One of the arguments made against the death penalty was it cost too much to house them at San Quentin, which is an antique facility. Our response was, well, they don’t need to be housed there. It was more to defuse one of the contrary arguments.” — Criminal Justice Legal Foundation legal director Kent Scheidegger
Criminal Justice Legal Foundation legal director Kent Scheidegger, who helped write Proposition 66, said proponents didn’t intend to coddle condemned inmates.
“One of the arguments made against the death penalty was it cost too much to house them at San Quentin, which is an antique facility. Our response was, well, they don’t need to be housed there,” Scheidegger said. “It was more to defuse one of the contrary arguments.”
There’s not much point in trying to rehabilitate condemned inmates, he said: “Unless they get pardoned, they’re not going to be seeing the outside of the prison walls anyway.”
The nonpartisan legislative analyst at the time said the transfers could save money because of increased security costs at San Quentin. Inmates on death row are housed one to a cell and generally are handcuffed and escorted by one or two correctional officers whenever they are outside their cells.
At the other prisons, they’ll be housed with non-condemned inmates and participate in programs and other activities.

Corrections Officials Dismantled the State’s $853,000 Execution Chamber at Newsom’s Direction

Condemned women are housed at the Central California Women’s Facility in Chowchilla and will have to stay there because it’s the only women’s prison surrounded by a lethal electrified fence. But those 22 women can transfer to alternate housing within the prison and, like the men, participate in rehabilitation and work programs.
Democratic Assemblyman Marc Levine said it’s ironic that death penalty supporters included the provision in their bid to speed executions, but now are unhappy with the results.
“That they also voted to allow rehabilitation services is poetic justice and reveals just how broken and beyond repair the death penalty is,” he said.
Levine is lobbying legislators to put a new measure on the November ballot asking voters, for the third time in eight years, to end capital punishment.
Corrections officials dismantled the state’s newly built $853,000 execution chamber at Newsom’s direction, but continued developing what they are calling a two-year pilot program to allow the transfers off death row.
“We’re carrying out this part of the law,” corrections department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said.
The condemned inmates will face psychological, physical and security evaluations, the same as any other inmate, to determine their appropriate housing. The only ones immediately ineligible are those in disciplinary segregation or those who have committed serious offenses within prison in the last five years.

The Department Hopes to Start the Program Within 60 Days

Prison administrators and researchers plan to evaluate the program over the two years, tracking the number of participants, the number with jobs, inmates’ behavior, and any effect on prison safety.

“One of the thoughts behind Prop 66, there’s no reason death row inmates can’t work and earn some small income, and that small income can go to the victim’s family. It’s not going to be much but at least it can be symbolic.”Kent Scheidegger 
The ballot measure requires that 70% of anything they earn will go to a restitution program for victims and survivors, up from the 50% restitution rate for other prisoners.
“One of the thoughts behind Prop 66, there’s no reason death row inmates can’t work and earn some small income, and that small income can go to the victim’s family,” Scheidegger said. “It’s not going to be much but at least it can be symbolic.”
Ramos countered: “I don’t know of one family that’s going to want one cent from someone who took their loved ones.”
The department hopes to start the program within 60 days, but can’t say when the first inmate will move or how many will participate, because it’s voluntary, Thornton said.
Crime Victims Alliance director Christine Ward accused Newsom of breaking what she said was his promise to crime victims after his moratorium to “take no further action regarding the status of condemned inmates.”
She said the move endangers prison employees, other inmates and the public because “condemned inmates have nothing to lose if they commit acts of violence.”

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

4 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

4 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

4 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

7 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

7 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

7 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

7 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

8 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

8 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

2 hours ago

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
2 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

3 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

4 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

4 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

4 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
5 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

7 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend