Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
CBS' '60 Minutes' Plans Its Presidential Candidate Showcase. But Will Trump and Harris Show?
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 7 months ago on
September 12, 2024

Republican presidential nominee former President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Vice President Kamala Harris shake hands before the start of an ABC News presidential debate at the National Constitution Center, Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2024, in Philadelphia. (AP/Alex Brandon)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

NEW YORK — “60 Minutes” is scheduling its quadrennial interview special with the presidential candidates to air in less than a month, hoping for the best even after its session with former President Donald Trump went off the rails in 2020.

With no other debates between Trump and his Democratic opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris, currently scheduled after Tuesday’s event in Philadelphia, a “60 Minutes” sit-down would represent one of the few times left for voters to evaluate the two candidates back to back.

The Sunday newsmagazine wants to do it on Monday, Oct. 7, since CBS is airing the American Music Awards the night before.

Neither candidate has yet agreed to appear but their campaigns have been talking to CBS, said Bill Owens, executive producer of “60 Minutes.” Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said “stay tuned” when asked about his candidate’s plans. The Harris campaign did not immediately respond to an inquiry from The Associated Press.

“I’m confident that this is going to work,” Owens said. “For either campaign, it wouldn’t be a great look if they turned down an opportunity to be on ‘60 Minutes.’”

VP Candidates Invited to Participate

The vice presidential candidates, Tim Walz and JD Vance, are also invited to participate, he said.

Four years ago, then-President Trump walked out early following a contentious interview with the show’s Lesley Stahl, and his campaign later sent out an unedited tape of the session that it had taken. While campaigns are allowed to tape the interviews, “I would hope that they don’t do that again,” Owens said. “I hope that we have a serious conversation.”

Correspondent Scott Pelley, not Stahl, has been assigned to interview Trump this year; Owens said that was not in response to what happened four years ago.

During that interview, Stahl interrupted Trump to say “you know that’s not true” when he claimed to have presided over the “greatest economy in the history of the country.”

Trump later criticized Stahl’s “constant interruptions and anger.” When an offscreen voice gave the two of them a five-minute warning for the expected end of the interview, Trump said “I think we’ve had enough” and walked away.

Later, Stahl said that Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had insulted “60 Minutes” by essentially giving campaign speeches and not answering questions.

“60 Minutes” has assigned Bill Whitaker to interview Harris. The old-school “60 Minutes” style, where the interviews are taped in advance and crafted into a story by editors, is becoming more a rarity in campaigns, with candidates more commonly seen in live interviews or appearances.

“60 Minutes” begins another season on Sunday, with Pelley examining the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Continuing an experiment from last year, the newsmagazine will have six expanded 90-minute editions in coming months.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

UP NEXT

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

UP NEXT

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

UP NEXT

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

UP NEXT

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

UP NEXT

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

UP NEXT

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

UP NEXT

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

UP NEXT

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

12 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

12 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

12 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

13 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

13 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

13 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

14 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

14 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

15 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

16 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
11 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
11 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

12 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

12 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

12 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

13 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
13 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend