Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

17 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

18 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

19 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

19 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

21 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
Israel Strikes Syrian City, Vows to Protect Druze From Government Forces
Reuters logo
By Reuters
Published 2 months ago on
July 15, 2025

Smoke rises while Syrian security forces sit in the back of a truck as Syrian troops entered the predominantly Druze city of Sweida on Tuesday following two days of clashes, in Sweida, Syria July 15, 2025. (Reuters/Karam al-Masri)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

SWEIDA – Israel carried out strikes against Syrian government forces in southwestern Syria for a second day on Tuesday, vowing to keep the area demilitarized and to protect the Druze minority as deadly clashes continued in the region at the Israeli frontier.

A Reuters reporter heard at least four strikes as drones could be heard over the predominantly Druze city of Sweida and saw a damaged tank being towed away. Bursts of gunfire were heard and three bodies were seen on the ground. Dozens of people have been killed in fighting in the region since Sunday.

The upsurge in violence underlines the challenges facing interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa who has struggled to assert control over the area near the Israeli border since toppling Bashar al-Assad in December.

While Sharaa has been buoyed by rapidly improving ties with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration, the violence has highlighted lingering sectarian tensions and distrust among minority groups towards his Islamist-led government – distrust that was deepened by mass killings of Alawites in March.

Israel, which has struck Syria several times in the name of protecting the Druze, carried out its latest attacks after influential Druze Sheikh Hikmat al-Hajri issued a statement accusing government troops of breaching a ceasefire and urging fighters to confront what he described as a barbaric attack.

After al-Hajiri appeared in a recorded statement, Syrian Defence Minister Murhaf Abu Qasra issued a statement declaring that a complete ceasefire was in place, and saying government forces would only open fire if fired upon.

Abu Qasra also said that military police had been ordered to deploy in Sweida to “control military behavior and hold violators accountable”, the state news agency SANA reported.

The Reuters reporter saw men in fatigues burning and looting homes and shops, and setting fire to a store that sold alcohol.

The Druze are a minority group whose faith is an offshoot of Islam and has followers in Israel, Syria and Lebanon.

‘Deep Brotherhood’

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz said they had ordered Israel’s military to strike “regime forces” and weaponry brought to Sweida to be used against the Druze.

In a statement, they said the deployment of government forces was in violation of a demilitarization policy that had called on Damascus to refrain from bringing forces and weapons into southern Syria that pose a threat to Israel.

“Israel is committed to preventing harm to the Druze in Syria due to the deep brotherhood alliance with our Druze citizens in Israel,” they said. “We are acting to prevent the Syrian regime from harming them and to ensure the demilitarization of the area adjacent to our border with Syria.

Reuters reported in May that Israel and the Syrian authorities had held direct talks focused on security.

The latest violence began on Sunday with fighting between armed Druze groups and Bedouin fighters in Sweida province, which displaced thousands of people.

The Druze spiritual leadership said in a written statement on Tuesday morning that it would allow Syrian forces to enter Sweida city to stop the bloodshed, calling on armed groups to surrender their weapons and cooperate with incoming troops.

But hours later, al-Hajri, a vocal opponent of the new Syrian leadership, said the statement had been “imposed” on them by Damascus and that Syrian troops had breached the arrangement by continuing to fire on residents.

“We are being subject to a total war of extermination,” he said in a recorded video statement, calling on all Druze “to confront this barbaric campaign with all means available”.

Convoys of Syrian army tanks, trucks and motorcycles entered parts of Sweida city by mid-morning and were continuing to fire on neighborhoods there, the Reuters reporter in Sweida said.

On Monday, Israel’s military said it had carried out several strikes on tanks approaching Sweida “to prevent their arrival to the area” because they could pose a threat to Israel.

(Reporting by Karam Masri in Sweida, Khalil Ashawi in Damascus, Maya Gebeily in Beirut and Steven Scheer in Jerusalem; Writing by Maya Gebeily and Tom Perry; Editing by Gareth Jones)

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

UP NEXT

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

UP NEXT

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

UP NEXT

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

UP NEXT

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

UP NEXT

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

UP NEXT

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

UP NEXT

Turkey Bars Israeli Ships from Its Ports and Restricts Airspace

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

13 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

14 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

14 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

14 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

14 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

15 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

15 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

15 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

17 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

17 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

12 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
12 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
12 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
12 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
13 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

14 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
14 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
14 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
14 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend