Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Fresno Council Approves Airport-Style Security at City Hall
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 6 years ago on
August 21, 2019

Share

UPDATE, 9:42 a.m., Thursday, Aug. 22 
Without debate, the Fresno City Council approved new security measures for City Hall on a 6-1 vote, with Miguel Arias voting no.
Sam Frank, president of the Fresno City Employees Association, supported council passing the measure. His union represents many city workers.
“Our folks here in City Hall have always wanted better security. They will be very happy to know people are screened now so that nobody can walk in with a gun unchallenged and start doing harm to the employees here at City Hall,” Frank said after the vote.


A sweeping new security plan at City Hall would install metal detectors and limit public entry to the first floor.
The Fresno City Council will vote on awarding a $345,000 contract to a Los Angeles security firm to implement the plan at its Thursday (Aug. 22) meeting.

“This is a public building. People in these facilities have been targets. We’ve seen that in federal buildings that have been bombed.” — city councilman Garry Bredefeld
Some councilmembers are OK with installing the extra protection. One member says it’s an overreaction. Others are mum on the subject.

Soria, Bredefeld Support

Councilman Garry Bredefeld said he supports this measure to keep City Hall safe.
“This is a public building. People in these facilities have been targets. We’ve seen that in federal buildings that have been bombed,” Bredefeld said. “It is prudent in this day and age that everyone who comes in this building is safe, that there is security.”
Colleague Esmeralda Soria agreed.
“I believe in this day and age, it does warrant additional security. If you go into any public building … you have to go through security,” she said. “We owe it to the people that work in the building to make sure that every day they step in City Hall, they are safe. We owe it to the public who visit there. We cannot afford to lose anyone.”
Bredefeld once proposed that city workers be allowed to carry concealed weapons to work. The idea didn’t gain traction with his colleagues.

Arias Is Skeptical

The enhanced security recommendation came from a report by Elert & Associates. However, the report has not been publicly released. A city staff report did not cite any specific threats to City Hall or the employees who work there.
The council has discussed security in closed session four times since the start of 2018.
Councilman Miguel Arias said this push stems from a controversial experiment with adjusting water rates. In 2018, the council — on a trial basis — created different tiers of water usage and associated fines. Overwatering notices increased 25 times, leading to many complaints. Sometimes, according to Arias, the complaints became heated when customers paid fines in person to city clerks.
The council scrapped the water-rate plan last November.
“That doesn’t justify installing more security at a public facility. City Hall is already the most highly secured facility in the city,” Arias said.
He noted that in the last year, City Hall installed new sliding doors at the second floor entrance, increased the presence of armed security guards, and utilized a keycard system for employees to enter certain offices not open to the public.
Arias also pointed out that City Hall is only a block away from police headquarters.

Long Lines?

Few public buildings in the area require passage through metal detectors to enter, most notably the Fresno County and federal courthouses, and the Fresno County Plaza that houses the district attorney’s office.
Other facilities that house government such as the Fresno County Hall of Records, Fresno Unified School District, Clovis City Hall, and Clovis Unified School District, do not have such security features.

“I would rather spend a half-million dollars improving sidewalks than going through a metal detector.” — city councilman Miguel Arias
Metal detectors have been installed at city-owned entertainment venues, such as Selland Arena and Saroyan Theatre.
The city staff report explaining the need for security does not detail whether staff will have to enter through metal detectors, or how security will be handled on busy days such as council meetings.
Bredefeld is OK with potentially long lines — as there are in the mornings at the criminal courthouse — in the name of safety.
“I do not think it’s a barrier. We want people to do business. We want everyone to be safe,” Bredefeld said. “People who want to do harm will seek out soft targets. City Hall is a soft target.”
Arias countered that extra security would be a deterrent to civic participation.
“I would rather spend a half-million dollars improving sidewalks than going through a metal detector,” Arias said. “This is going to make City Hall not welcoming nor friendly to the residents who pay for it.”
Councilman Nelson Esparza did not want to comment on the issue before the vote. Councilman-elect Mike Karbassi, who will take his seat on Thursday, said he is studying the plan. Councilmen Luis Chavez and Paul Caprioglio did not respond to GV Wire’s inquiries.

The Security Bidding Process

Four firms bid on the project, three from the Fresno area, and one from Los Angeles.
A panel of four public works employees recommended American Guard Services from Los Angeles. According to a staff report, the panel “was very impressed” with the firm’s experience with magnetometers and baggage scanners. Even though American Guard offered the highest bid, “the committee feels that it is well within the expected cost for the scope of work,” the report said.
The contract breaks down in two parts — $327,584 for services and another $17,760 annually to lease one baggage scanner, two walk-through metal detectors, and four hand-held scanners.
The staff report indicated that two other firms, Tuner Security and Alltech Industries, thought the bid proposal was for patrol services.
The fourth firm, Fresno Advanced Security and Transport (FAST), was deemed not to have the required experience. The company has held two city contracts for patrols at other facilities.
FAST’s owner, Brandon Waters, disagreed with the report’s assessment.
“I don’t know why that is. We were there for two years with an armed guard,” Waters said. “I put out a quality product.”
But, it is a moot point. Earlier this month, Waters closed down his business, citing financial reasons. He didn’t specifically say if winning the city contract would have kept him in business.
“There were a lot of things in play. That was a large contract,” Waters said.
 

DON'T MISS

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

DON'T MISS

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

DON'T MISS

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

DON'T MISS

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

DON'T MISS

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

DON'T MISS

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

26 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

36 minutes ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

15 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

15 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

16 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

16 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

16 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

17 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

18 hours ago

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

LONDON — British police on Friday charged Russell Brand with rape and sexual assault following an 18-month investigation sparked when four w...

7 minutes ago

Actor Russell Brand is seen during the Republican National Convention Thursday, July 18, 2024, in Milwaukee. (AP File)
7 minutes ago

Russell Brand Charged With Rape, Sexual Assault

Injured people arrive at Al-Ahli Arab Hospital in central Gaza City on Thursday, March 3, 2025. Israel wants to squeeze Hamas into releasing the dozens of hostages still held in the enclave. But other objectives have since emerged. (Saher Alghorra/The New York Times)
14 minutes ago

Israeli Military Orders New Evacuation of Gaza City Neighborhoods

Robert Greason works on the floor at the New York Stock Exchange in New York, Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP/Seth Wenig)
21 minutes ago

Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

26 minutes ago

Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

36 minutes ago

It’s Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

2 hours ago

Rural California, Reliant on the Trump Administration for Jobs, Braces for Cuts

15 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
15 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend