Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Former Clovis High, Fresno City Wrestler Released Without Charges
GV-Wire-1
By gvwire
Published 6 years ago on
June 18, 2019

Share

MINNEAPOLIS – Two University of Minnesota wrestlers who were arrested on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct were released Tuesday from jail without charges.

The Hennepin County attorney’s office said in a statement that an investigation of Gable Steveson and Dylan Martinez, a former Clovis High and Fresno City College standout, continues, but “no charges can be brought at this time.”
The Hennepin County attorney’s office said in a statement that an investigation of Gable Steveson and Dylan Martinez, a former Clovis High and Fresno City College standout, continues, but “no charges can be brought at this time.”
The office faced a noon deadline for a charging decision.

Martinez, Steveson Suspended From Wrestling Team

The pair had been suspended from team activity after their arrest. The University of Minnesota Athletic Department said in a statement Tuesday that their suspension remains in place while the investigation continues, as outlined in the student-athlete code of conduct. The university has not identified the athletes or their sport.
Steveson’s attorney, Christa Groshek, said they’re “very thankful for the county attorney’s careful review. … He denies the allegations and he continues to maintain his innocence.” She added that she still has little information about the allegations because the case is still under investigation.
It isn’t clear whether Martinez has an attorney. Groshek said her understanding based on jail records is that he does not. Possible relatives haven’t returned messages left by The Associated Press, and Martinez didn’t immediately respond to messages that were left on his phone and email while he was jailed.
Steveson was a four-time state champion at Apple Valley High School in Minnesota. He had a 35-2 record this season — his first competing for the Gophers.
Martinez didn’t wrestle last season and was listed as a redshirt sophomore.

Two Wrestlers Arrested After Alleged Saturday Incident

Martinez and Steveson, one of the nation’s top heavyweights and an aspiring Olympian, were arrested over the weekend in an alleged incident early Saturday. A police report gave almost no details of the allegations.
The arrests were made after an alleged victim reported Saturday night she had been raped and sought treatment at a hospital.

Photo of Gable Steveson
Gable Steveson warms up before wrestling in an NCAA Big Ten tournament in Minneapolis on  Jan. 6, 2019. (Jerry Holt/Star Tribune via AP)

Martinez Won Two State Titles at Fresno City

Martinez won two state community college championships for Fresno City College in 2016 and 2017, helping FCC to state titles each year. He was on the powerhouse Clovis High teams that won several state championships.
 
 

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

2 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

5 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

5 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

5 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

5 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

6 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

7 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

33 minutes ago

33 minutes ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
42 minutes ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

1 hour ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

2 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
3 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend