Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
In Khashoggi Case: Saudi Calls, ‘Body Double’ After Klling
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
October 22, 2018

Share

ANKARA, Turkey — A man appearing to wear Jamal Khashoggi’s clothes left the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul following his killing there, according to a surveillance video, while a member of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s entourage made four calls to the royal’s office around the same time, reports said Monday.
The reports by CNN and a pro-government Turkish newspaper came just a day before Prince Mohammed’s high-profile investment summit is to begin in Riyadh and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has promised that details of Khashoggi’s killing “will be revealed in all its nakedness.” Meanwhile, Turkish crime-scene investigators swarmed a garage Monday night in Istanbul where a Saudi consular vehicle had been parked.
All this yet again adds to the pressure Saudi Arabia faces over the slaying of the Washington Post columnist. The kingdom’s claim on Saturday that Khashoggi died in a “fistfight” met international skepticism and allegations of a cover-up to absolve the 33-year-old crown prince of direct responsibility.
Turkish media reports and officials maintain that a 15-member Saudi team flew to Istanbul on Oct. 2, knowing Khashoggi would arrive for a document he needed to get married. Once he was inside the diplomatic mission, the Saudis accosted Khashoggi, cut off his fingers, killed and dismembered the 59-year-old writer.

A Turkish Official Described the Man as ‘Body Double’

CNN aired surveillance video Monday showing the man in Khashoggi’s dress shirt, suit jacket, and pants. It cited a Turkish official as describing the man as a “body double” and a member of the Saudi team sent to Istanbul to target the writer.

“After Turkish authorities and the media were allowed to inspect the consulate building in its entirety, the accusations changed to the outrageous claim that he was murdered, in the consulate, during business hours, and with dozens of staff and visitors in the building.” — Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. Prince Khalid bin Salman
The man is seen in the footage walking out of the consulate via its back exit with an accomplice, then taking a taxi to Istanbul’s famed Sultan Ahmed Mosque, where he went into a public bathroom, changed back out of the clothes and left.
The state-run broadcaster TRT later also reported that a man who entered the consulate building was seen leaving the building in Khashoggi’s clothes.
In the days after Khashoggi vanished, Saudi officials initially said that he had left the consulate, implying premeditation on the part of the Saudi team.
“After Turkish authorities and the media were allowed to inspect the consulate building in its entirety, the accusations changed to the outrageous claim that he was murdered, in the consulate, during business hours, and with dozens of staff and visitors in the building,” Saudi Ambassador to the U.S. Prince Khalid bin Salman, a brother of the crown prince, wrote Oct. 8. “I don’t know who is behind these claims, or their intentions, nor do I care frankly.”
A separate report by newspaper Yeni Safak said Maher Abdulaziz Mutreb, a member of Prince Mohammed’s entourage on trips to the U.S., France, and Spain this year, made the calls from the consulate. The newspaper said the four calls went to Bader al-Asaker, the head of Prince Mohammed’s office. It said another call went to the United States.

Safak Cited No Source for the Information

Yeni Safak cited no source for the information. However, pro-government newspapers have been leaking information about Khashoggi’s killing, apparently with the help of Turkish security forces. Yeni Safak reported last week that Saudi officials cut off Khashoggi’s fingers and then decapitated him at the consulate as his fiancée waited outside.
Officials in Saudi Arabia have not answered repeated requests for comment from The Associated Press in recent days, including on Monday. Saudi Arabia so far has not acknowledged or explained Mutreb’s presence in Istanbul, nor that a forensics and autopsy expert was also on hand for Khashoggi’s arrival at the consulate.
Last week, a leaked photograph apparently taken from surveillance footage showed Mutreb at the consulate, just ahead of Khashoggi’s arrival. Mutreb’s name also matches that of a first secretary who once served as a diplomat at the Saudi Embassy in London, according to a 2007 list compiled by the British Foreign Office.
By nightfall, Turkish police began searching an underground car parking garage in Istanbul’s Sultangazi district. Surveillance video aired by TRT showed what Turkish security officials described as suspicious movement with the vehicles, including an image of a man moving a bag from one vehicle to another.
Meanwhile, Saudi state media reported that both Prince Mohammed and King Salman made calls to Khashoggi’s son, Salah, early Monday. Statements from the agency said both the king and the crown prince expressed their condolences for Khashoggi’s death.

Khashoggi Had Been Under a Travel Ban and Barred From Leaving

A Saudi friend of Khashoggi who was in frequent touch with him before his death told the AP that Salah Khashoggi had been under a travel ban and barred from leaving the kingdom since last year as a result of his father’s criticism of the government. The friend spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of repercussion. The Saudi statements did not acknowledge the ban.

“There obviously was a tremendous mistake made and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up. That is unacceptable to the government.” — Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir
Five Turkish employees of the consulate also gave testimony to prosecutors Monday, Turkish media reported. Istanbul’s chief prosecutor had summoned 28 more staff members of the Saudi Consulate, including Turkish citizens and foreign nationals, to give testimony. Some Turkish employees reportedly said they were instructed not to go to work around the time that Khashoggi disappeared.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir on Sunday told Fox News that Khashoggi’s killing was “a rogue operation” and that “we don’t know where the body is.”
“The individuals who did this did this outside the scope of their authority,” he said. “There obviously was a tremendous mistake made and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up. That is unacceptable to the government.”

Punishment Over Khashoggi’s Killing?

However, leading Republicans and Democrats in Congress are saying Saudi Arabia should face punishment over Khashoggi’s killing. President Donald Trump also had talked about possible punishment but said he didn’t want to halt proposed arms sales to Saudi Arabia because, he maintained, it would harm U.S. manufacturers.
Britain, Germany and France issued a joint statement condemning the killing of Khashoggi, saying there is an “urgent need for clarification of exactly what happened.”
In a statement Sunday, the governments said attacks on journalists are unacceptable and “of utmost concern to our three nations.” They said the “hypotheses” proposed so far in the Saudi investigation need to be backed by facts to be considered credible.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday in Berlin that she supports a freeze on arms exports to Saudi Arabia. German Economy Minister Peter Altmaier underlined that point Monday, calling for a joint European position as Germany “won’t at this point approve any further arms exports because we want to know what happened.”

DON'T MISS

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

DON'T MISS

Fresno County Head-On Crash Sends Two to the Hospital

DON'T MISS

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

DON'T MISS

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

DON'T MISS

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

DON'T MISS

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

DON'T MISS

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

DON'T MISS

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

DON'T MISS

Dow Drops 1,200 as US Stock Market Leads a Worldwide Sell-off Following Trump’s Tariff Shock

DON'T MISS

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

UP NEXT

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

UP NEXT

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Israel’s Operations in Gaza Expands to Seize ‘Large Areas.’ Palestinians Say Dozens Killed

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

A Palestinian From the West Bank Is First Detainee Under 18 to Die in Israeli Prison, Officials Say

UP NEXT

UN Agency Closes Its Remaining Gaza Bakeries as Food Supplies Dwindle Under Israeli Blockade

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

32 minutes ago

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

37 minutes ago

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

43 minutes ago

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

54 minutes ago

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

58 minutes ago

Dow Drops 1,200 as US Stock Market Leads a Worldwide Sell-off Following Trump’s Tariff Shock

1 hour ago

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

14 hours ago

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

18 hours ago

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

18 hours ago

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

19 hours ago

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

There were jokes. There was despair. There were eulogies and fake funerals. For about half a day in January, as a Supreme Court ruling banni...

31 seconds ago

31 seconds ago

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

14 minutes ago

Fresno County Head-On Crash Sends Two to the Hospital

Yamama Jundia, 13, injured in an Israeli airstrike, grieves alongside others over the bodies of their relatives, who were killed in the same strike, at the Baptist Hospital in Gaza City on Thursday, April 3, 2025. (AP/Jehad Alshrafi)
24 minutes ago

Israeli Strikes on Gaza Overnight Leaves More Than 50 Palestinians Dead

Clovis police are seeking public help in identifying three suspects involved in a credit card fraud case after a stolen card was used at Best Buy and Target. (Clovis PD)
32 minutes ago

Clovis Police Seek Three Suspects in Credit Card Fraud Case

Los Angeles Dodgers' Shohei Ohtani hits a walk-off solo home run against as Atlanta Braves catcher Atlanta Braves' Chadwick Tromp looks on during the ninth inning of a baseball game Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Los Angeles. (AP/Kevork Djansezian)
37 minutes ago

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

43 minutes ago

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

Hungary’s ICC withdrawal aligns with Netanyahu’s defiance of his arrest warrant, straining EU relations and raising global concerns.
54 minutes ago

Hungary to Exit ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant Dispute

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during the International Women of Courage Awards Ceremony at the Department of State in Washington on Tuesday, April 1, 2025. Rubio traveled to Brussels on Thursday for a gathering of NATO foreign ministers amid high anxiety over the Trump administration’s approach to Europe, including the war in Ukraine, relations with Russia and President Trump’s growing trade war with the continent. (Maansi Srivastava/The New York Times)
58 minutes ago

Rubio Visits NATO Amid European Alarm Over Trump’s Agenda

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend