Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Central Unified Recall Battle Grows. Terry Cox Is New Target.
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 7 years ago on
April 17, 2018

Share

There are now two separate recall efforts in Central Unified School District.

While an advocacy group awaits the OK from the county clerk’s office for a recall of two Central Unified trustees associated with the firing of Superintendent Mark Sutton, a third trustee, Terry Cox, is the target of a second effort.

Cox was one of three trustees to vote against Sutton’s Feb. 27 dismissal. According to the clerk’s office, Richard Martinez filed a notice of intention to circulate petitions to recall Cox on April 12.

“It’s retaliation for the fact the community is trying to right the Mark Sutton decision,” Cox said. “They are trying to take away one more vote for Sutton.”

Martinez, a business consultant, declined to comment. He ran against Cox for the trustee seat in 2016. Cox won with 53% of the vote. Martinez’s wife, Judee Martinez, is president of the union representing Central Unified teachers.

Recall Battles Over Sutton Firing

Former Superintendent Mark Sutton

The firing of Sutton exposed divisions among community groups and the board. Many parents expressed their dismay over losing Sutton. They formed Central Community United PAC to organize the recall of Richard Solis and Phillip Cervantes. The group vows to vote three others out of office in November: Cesar Granda, Rama Dawar and Ruben Coronado.

Even though he voted against the firing, Cervantes is the subject of the PAC’s recall efforts.

Many in the group allege that the five trustees conspired to fire Sutton, possibly violating the Brown Act. They also accuse Martinez of orchestrating the meetings, an allegation he has denied. Granda, the board president, also has denied that the board violated the Brown Act.

The PAC is hoping to restore Sutton as superintendent once a new board is installed. Last week (April 10), the board voted 6-1 to start the process of hiring a new superintendent.

Cox and some community members have asked the board to hold off the hiring until after the November election. Sutton has expressed interest in resuming the job.

Cox’s Recall

“Mrs. Terry Cox has failed our students and community!” — Terry Cox recall petition

The notice of intention is the first step in the recall process. It alleges five grounds for Cox’s dismissal:

— Only 65% of third-graders read at grade level, which is below the 100% goal set in 2002.

— Wasted $8.5 million on purchasing tablets that never worked.

—  Despite a $24 million budget surplus, the district has failed to hire sufficient counselors and instructional aides.

— “Mrs. Cox is the principal instigator in a recall effort that is dividing and hurting our Central community!”

— “Mrs. Terry Cox has failed our students and community!”

The petition is signed by 12 people.

Cox said that she plans to file a formal response with the clerk’s office.

“Their statements are inaccurate,” Cox said. “They are slanted without all the information pertinent to that discussion.”

Recalls Are ‘External Distraction,’ Says Interim Superintendent 

Interim Superintendent Kelly Porterfield

“Teachers and staff always keep their focus on why we’re here: to educate and make a difference in the lives of our students.” — Interim Superintendent Kelly Porterfield

The school board appointed Kelly Porterfield as the interim superintendent March 6. In an interview Monday, he said he wanted to make that sure kids are the top priority.

“Regardless of what happens to board members in regular or recall elections, our district-wide administration, teachers and staff always keep their focus on why we’re here: to educate and make a difference in the lives of our students,” Porterfield said.

“Student learning and growth are always at the forefront of our minds and we try not to allow external distractions to deter us from our mission.”

Cox Challenges Proof of Service

The recall notice also includes a proof of service, a document stating that the notice was legally served to Cox. The trustee says that it didn’t happen.

The proof asserts that Araceli Santillano served Cox at Fresno City Hall, 2:27 p.m. on April 5. Cox is chief of staff to Fresno City Council President Esmeralda Soria.

Cox has sent a letter in rebuttal.

“The declaration of Proof of Service is fraudulent and … Santillano perjured herself. I have documentation and personal statements that verify … Santillano could not have served the papers as she stated on April 5 at 2:27 pm,” Cox wrote.

Cox says she was at her office at the time, behind secured doors.

GV Wire left a message for a number listed for Santillano but did not hear back from her before publication.

Cox sent the letter to Fresno County Clerk Brandi Orth, as well as the Fresno County District Attorney’s Office and the secretary of state among others.

Orth’s office said it will continue to process the recall until instructed otherwise by a court order.

 

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

10 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

11 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

11 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

12 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

12 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

13 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

13 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

7 hours ago

7 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
7 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

8 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

8 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
10 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

11 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend