Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Death Penalty Sought in 'Golden State Killer' Case
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
April 11, 2019

Share

SACRAMENTO — California prosecutors announced Wednesday they will seek the death penalty if they convict the man suspected of being the notorious “Golden State Killer” who eluded capture for decades.
The move comes less than a month after Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a moratorium on executing any of the 737 inmates on the nation’s largest death row. Newsom’s reprieve lasts only so long as he is governor and does not prevent prosecutors from seeking nor judges and juries from imposing death sentences.
Prosecutors from four counties briefly announced their decision during a short court hearing for Joseph DeAngelo. He was arrested a year ago based on DNA evidence linking him to at least 13 murders and more than 50 rapes across California in the 1970s and ’80s.
He stood expressionless in an orange jail uniform, staring forward from a courtroom cage, as prosecutors from Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Orange and Ventura spoke. Although prosecutors from six counties were in court for the four-minute hearing, charges in those four counties include the special circumstances that could merit execution for 12 of the 13 murders under California law.
His attorney, public defender Diane Howard, criticized seeking the death penalty against a 73-year-old man, saying in an email that the decision “does not further justice and is wasteful.”

Trial Is Likely Years Away

With a multicounty prosecution team including more than 30 people, she cited a Sacramento County estimate that the prosecution will cost taxpayers more than $20 million.

“These are horrific crimes. Our sympathies are with the victims and families who have suffered at the hands of the Golden State Killer.” — Brian Ferguson, Gov. Gavin Newsom spokesman
DeAngelo has yet to enter a plea and his trial is likely years away.
Prosecutors wouldn’t comment after the hearing, but Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said several prosecutors and family members of murder victims planned a Thursday news conference to denounce Newsom’s moratorium. An announcement from Spitzer’s office said victims’ families “will share their stories of losing their loved ones and how the governor’s moratorium has devastated their pursuit of justice.”
The serial killer would sneak into suburban homes at night, authorities said. If a couple was home, he would tie up the man, place dishes on his back and threaten to kill both victims if he heard the plates fall while he raped the woman.
“These are horrific crimes. Our sympathies are with the victims and families who have suffered at the hands of the Golden State Killer,” Newsom spokesman Brian Ferguson said in a statement acknowledging that the governor’s executive order does not affect the ability of local prosecutors to make charging decisions.
California has not executed anyone since 2006, but Newsom said he acted last month because 25 inmates have exhausted their appeals and court challenges to the state’s new lethal injection process are potentially nearing their end. He endorsed a repeal of capital punishment but said he could not in good conscious allow executions to resume in the meantime knowing that some innocent inmates could die.

State Voters Supported Death Penalty in 2012 and 2016

He also said he is exploring ways to commute death sentences, which would permanently end the chance of executions, though he cannot act without permission from the state Supreme Court in many cases.

“I think it’s entirely appropriate for DAs to continue seeking the death penalty in appropriate cases, because the actual execution will be well down the road and the governor’s reprieve won’t be in effect by then. Something else will have happened.” — Kent Scheidegger, Criminal Justice Legal Foundation legal director
“The death penalty does serve as a deterrent,” Ron Harrington, older brother of Golden State Killer victim Patrick Harrington, said after witnessing Wednesday’s announcement. “Unfortunately now our governor has decided to interpose his own personal opinion regarding the death penalty.”
Newsom’s announcement “places decisions that local prosecutors make in a different light,” said Death Penalty Information Center executive director Robert Dunham, whose organization has been critical of how the penalty is administered. Decisions should be made on the facts “and not on their perception of gaining political points by opposing the governor.”
Voters narrowly supported capital punishment in 2012 and 2016, when they voted to speed up executions by shortening appeals.
Criminal Justice Legal Foundation legal director Kent Scheidegger said prosecutors’ decision made sense despite Newsom’s moratorium.
“It’s a perfect example of a killer for whom anything less would not be justice,” said Scheidegger, who is fighting in court to resume executions. “I think it’s entirely appropriate for DAs to continue seeking the death penalty in appropriate cases, because the actual execution will be well down the road and the governor’s reprieve won’t be in effect by then. Something else will have happened.”

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

3 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

4 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

4 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

7 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

7 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

7 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

7 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

8 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

8 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

2 hours ago

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
2 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

3 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

3 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

4 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

4 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
5 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

7 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend