Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Simultaneous Peaceful Protests At Fresno City Hall
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 5 years ago on
May 15, 2020

Share

Simultaneous peaceful protests took place at Fresno City Hall on Friday.

About 15 protesters with Power California, gathered wanting more federal support for workers left behind during the pandemic.

Photo of GV Wire's David Taub

David Taub

Politics 101


Also in Politics 101:

  • City starts first process of bus route change.
  • Council approves Fresno EOC contract.

Jasmine Leiva, one of the organizers, wants support for the families of farmworkers, packing plant employees, and grocery clerks.

“Our families bear the brunt of being the essential workers,” Leiva said. “We acknowledged they are heroes. They need that economic support. … The stimulus check was a good one-time solution. But how do we have support that helps people weather this storm?”

One Fresno police officer arrived, checking in with both groups to keep the peace. Seeing that peace was being kept, the officer left the plaza.

Three anti-Miguel Arias protesters also demonstrated, including Jason Phillips — who was involved in an alleged scuffle with Arias earlier in the week. Phillips and two others filed battery charges against the Fresno City Council president. The case is scheduled for court in September.

They were later joined by conservative activist Ben Bergquam.

City Council Approves First Step to Change Bus Route

Over the objections of the city’s bus union, the Fresno City Council approved 7-0 to accept a study that could change a bus route to take riders to the new Fresno County Department of Social Services campus at the former Pelco facility in Clovis.

The county has planned the move for at least three years to move its operations to one central location. Based on the discussion, some city staff and the council were surprised.

“It caught us off guard,” assistant city manager Jim Schaad told the council.

ATU, the bus employee union, is concerned that changing Route 28 will cause a disruption of service on the line that connects west Fresno to Fresno State through the Manchester Transit Center.

Transportation officials told the council the goal is to connect city residents to social services.

Councilman Luis Chavez agreed to support the study, with a vote on the actual change at a later date. He said he wants the county to chip in for the change in bus service.

“I don’t think its OK at this point,” Chavez said.

No public services have moved to Clovis yet, according to county spokesman Jordan Scott.

“We have roughly 460 administrative staff at Pelco now with no public services at the facility at this time. Additional buildings are expected to open later this year, but no word on expected dates quite yet,” Scott said.  “The Pelco site will consolidate all the DSS locations in the Fresno metro area. Our rural sites should remain open. That would include field offices in Coalinga, Reedley, and Selma.”

Public counters are closed now because of COVID-19 precautions. Online services remain available.

Council Awards Contracts to Fresno EOC

The council approved $562,400 in four separate contracts with the Fresno Equal Opportunities Commission to help get the word out about the Transformative Climate Change Program.

The city is in the midst of spending the $66 million the state awarded the city for various environmental-themed projects in southwest Fresno.

Fresno EOC will be tasked with creating videos, radio spots, and holding informational meetings about the Transform Fresno program.

Chavez recused himself from the 6-0 vote. His wife, Elizabeth Jonasson Rosas, works for Fresno EOC.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

The ‘Six’ Wives of King Henry VIII Sing Their Hearts Out in Fresno

UP NEXT

Reps. Costa, Gray Propose Bill to Address Critical Doctor Shortage in Rural Areas

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Yakista Ceeblaj Lor

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

11 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

11 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

12 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

13 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

14 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

15 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

15 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

15 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

16 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

16 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

10 hours ago

10 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
10 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

11 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

11 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

11 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
13 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend