Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Victims: PG&E Still Has Rickety Power Line Near Paradise
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
February 6, 2020

Share

SAN FRANCISCO — Pacific Gas & Electric is still operating a rickety power line near the one that ignited a 2018 wildfire that wiped out the Northern California city of Paradise and killed 85 people, according to an expert inspection conducted as part of a legal claim.

In an inspection just two months ago, an expert hired by the wildfire victims’ attorneys found a power line with rusty equipment and some parts apparently held in place by electrical tape.
In an inspection just two months ago, an expert hired by the wildfire victims’ attorneys found a power line with rusty equipment and some parts apparently held in place by electrical tape.
The potential hazards were spotted along a transmission line known as “Cresta-Rio Oso,” about 300 feet from another line, known as Caribou-Palermo. A rusting piece of equipment that failed in 2018 on the Caribou-Palermo line has been blamed for causing the fire that destroyed thousands of homes and other buildings, mostly in Paradise.
The findings, made public Thursday by lawyers for victims who lost family members and homes, come as PG&E tries to persuade Gov. Gavin Newsom that the company has turned over a new leaf as it tries to emerge from a bankruptcy case stemming from more than $50 billion in claimed wildfire losses. Newsom has threatened a government takeover bid of PG&E unless the company proves it can operate more safely.
A federal judge has also been pressing the utility to provide evidence that it has improved its safety practices and is thoroughly inspecting its transmission lines to reduce the risks of future fires.
Photo of Pacific Gas & Electric's Cresta-Rio Oso transmission line
In this Dec. 19, 2018, photo provided by Tort Claimants Committee, representing victims of wildfires, shows Pacific Gas & Electric’s Cresta-Rio Oso transmission line, about 100 yards (91 meters) from another transmission line known as Caribou-Palmero, that is responsible for igniting the Camp Fire. (Tort Claimants Committee via AP)

PG&E Has Repeatedly Said It Has Learned From Past Mistakes

U.S. District Judge William Alsup is overseeing PG&E as part of a five-year criminal probation imposed after the utility’s natural gas lines triggered a deadly explosion in 2010. A federal jury found the company guilty of five counts of safety violations and the one count of obstruction.
Alsup responded swiftly after being informed about the potential problems on the Cresta-Rio Oso line in a letter from the expert inspector. The judge issued an order on Thursday telling PG&E to be prepared to discuss the evidence presented to him during a Feb. 19 hearing in San Francisco.
PG&E has repeatedly said it has learned from past mistakes, prompting the company to intensify the inspection of 18,000 miles of overhead power lines in a service territory in Northern California that provides electricity to 16 million people.
Even so, the nation’s largest utility has acknowledged that its electrical grid needs so many upgrades that it will probably have to deliberately turn off the power periodically during hot and windy conditions when power lines can topple and start wildfires for at least a few more years in parts of Northern California to minimize fire risks.
In court documents filed in December, PG&E told Alsup the company had inspected 50,000 transmission structures in high-risk areas since the 2018 fire, using people and drones to check the condition of the equipment.

The Victims Remained Worried About Future Wildfire Risks

“All of the highest-priority conditions identified as a result of those inspections have been repaired or made safe,” PG&E assured Alsup. The filing didn’t specify which power lines had been examined and repaired.

“All of the highest-priority conditions identified as a result of those inspections have been repaired or made safe.” — PG&E 
PG&E didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.
The victims lawyers hired an expert, who they declined to identify, when they were preparing for a trial scheduled this year to help determine PG&E’s liability for the Paradise fire. But the trial became unnecessary when PG&E and the victims’ lawyers agreed to a $13.5 billion settlement covering the Camp Fire and other catastrophic wildfires in 2017.
Still, the victims remained worried about future wildfire risks posed by the PG&E power lines near their communities. Their lawyers alerted PG&E about the potential hazards on the Cresta-Rio Oso line before Thursday’s announcement, according to the attorneys.
Former Chico, California, police chief and wildfire victim Kirk Trostle stressed that the committee isn’t placing blame on PG&E, but trying to avert further devastation in areas still trying to rebuild.
“We could not bear the thought of another Camp Fire,” he said.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

UP NEXT

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

UP NEXT

Staged Crashes and Insurance Fraud: Is Your California Commute a Target?

UP NEXT

Fight Over Phonics: Will CA Require the ‘Science of Reading’ in K-12 Schools?

UP NEXT

The NBA’s Playoff Chase Enters Its Final Days. Here’s a Look at What’s Happening

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

LA Fires Death Toll Rises to 30 After Remains Are Found

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

9 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

9 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

10 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

10 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

10 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

10 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

12 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

12 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

12 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

14 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

8 hours ago

8 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
9 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
9 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

9 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

9 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

10 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

10 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
10 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend