Mourners gather around the bodies of 8 Red Crescent emergency responders, recovered in Rafah a week after an Israeli attack, as they are transported for burial from a hospital in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip, on Monday, March 31, 2025. (AP/Abdel Kareem Hana)

- Israel issues mass evacuation orders for Rafah and surrounding areas, signaling a potential new ground offensive.
- 15 emergency responders were killed by Israeli fire in Rafah, marking one of the deadliest attacks on medics in years.
- Netanyahu backs Trump's Gaza resettlement plan, which Palestinians reject as forced displacement.
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip — Israel’s military on Monday issued sweeping evacuation orders covering Rafah and nearby areas, indicating it could soon launch another major ground operation in the Gaza Strip’s southernmost city.
Israel ended its ceasefire with the Hamas militant group and renewed its air and ground war earlier this month. At the beginning of March it cut off all supplies of food, fuel, medicine and humanitarian aid to the territory’s roughly 2 million Palestinians to pressure Hamas to accept proposed changes to the truce agreement.
Israel’s military ordered Palestinians to head to Muwasi, a sprawl of squalid tent camps along the coast. The orders came during Eid al-Fitr, a normally festive Muslim holiday marking the end of the fasting month of Ramadan.
Last May, Israel launched a major operation in Rafah, on the border with Egypt, leaving large parts in ruins. The military seized a strategic corridor along the border as well as the Rafah crossing with Egypt, Gaza’s only gateway to the outside world that was not controlled by Israel.
Israel was supposed to withdraw from the corridor under the ceasefire it signed with Hamas in January under U.S. pressure, but it later refused to do it, citing the need to prevent weapons smuggling.
Medics Killed by Israeli Fire Are Buried
Dozens gathered at a funeral for some of the 15 emergency responders killed by Israeli fire during a ground operation in Rafah last week. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies called it the deadliest attack on its medics in several years.
Raed al-Nems, a spokesperson for the Palestinian Red Crescent, said the paramedics were “killed in cold blood” despite wearing uniforms and operating in clearly labeled ambulances. At funeral prayers, their shrouds were draped with Red Crescent banners.
Israel’s military has said its forces opened fire on several vehicles that raised suspicions by advancing without headlights or emergency signals. The military said a Hamas operative and eight other militants were among those killed.
The United Nations humanitarian office said the dead included eight Red Crescent workers, six members of Gaza’s Civil Defense, which operates under the Hamas-run government, and a U.N. worker.
Rescuers were only allowed to access the area nearly a week later to recover the bodies. Footage of Sunday’s recovery operation released by the U.N. showed Civil Defense workers digging into a mound of sand and pulling out a body wearing the same orange vest as theirs.
Netanyahu Vows to Implement Trump’s Gaza Plan
Israel has vowed to intensify its military operations until Hamas releases the remaining 59 hostages it holds — 24 of them believed to be alive. Israel has also demanded that Hamas disarm and leave the territory, conditions that were not included in the ceasefire agreement and which Hamas has rejected.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israel would take charge of security in Gaza after the war and implement U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposal to resettle Gaza’s population in other countries, describing it as “voluntary emigration.”
That plan has been universally rejected by Palestinians, who view it as forcible expulsion from their homeland. Human rights experts say it would likely violate international law.
Hamas has insisted on implementing the signed agreement, which called for the remainder of the hostages to be released in exchange for a lasting ceasefire and an Israeli pullout. Negotiations over those parts of the agreement were supposed to begin in February but only preliminary talks have been held.
The war began when Hamas-led militants stormed into Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, rampaging through army bases and farming communities and killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians. The militants took another 251 people hostage, most of whom have been released in ceasefires or other deals.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say how many were civilians or combatants. At its height, the war had displaced some 90% of Gaza’s population, with many fleeing multiple times.
Large areas of Gaza have been destroyed, and it’s unclear how or when anything will be rebuilt.
RELATED TOPICS:
Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption
8 hours ago
Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’
8 hours ago
Judge Dismisses Corruption Case Against New York City Mayor Eric Adams
9 hours ago
Why Project Labor Agreements Are Good for Our Schools and Students: Opinion
10 hours ago
Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact
10 hours ago
Amazon Said to Make a Bid to Buy TikTok in the US
10 hours ago
Fresno Man Found Dead, Coroner’s Office Seeks Help Finding Family
10 hours ago
Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports
3 hours ago
Categories

Senate Rebukes Trump’s Tariffs as Some Republicans Vote to Halt Taxes on Canadian Imports

Supreme Court Sides With the FDA in Its Dispute Over Sweet-Flavored Vaping Products

Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs to Promote US Manufacturing, Risking Inflation and Trade Wars

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

Big Brands Spend Just Enough on X to Avoid Musk’s ‘Naughty List’
