Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?
d8a347b41db1ddee634e2d67d08798c102ef09ac
By The New York Times
Published 16 hours ago on
April 3, 2025

A TikTok sign is displayed on top of their building in Culver City, Calif., on Dec. 3, 2024. (AP File)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

There were jokes. There was despair. There were eulogies and fake funerals.

For about half a day in January, as a Supreme Court ruling banning TikTok took effect, some 170 million Americans were forced to grapple with the reality of a world without the app.

But then, after about 14 hours, it flickered back to life. Full pivots to Instagram Reels and YouTube were postponed; dubious alternatives like Red Note became fading memories. Things seemed back to normal. Sort of.

TikTok User Suspects Algorithm ‘Reset’

In the aftermath of the ban, Brielle Asero, a content creator in New York City, suspected that her algorithm had “reset.”

“It was like I had logged on to TikTok for the first time, and it was just showing random videos that like, were not curated to me at all,” she said.

Her algorithm eventually appeared to course-correct in the subsequent weeks, Asero, 22, added, but the change left her feeling uneasy.

Other users say they have felt similarly as the platform has been stuck in limbo for months, approaching a Saturday deadline to find a new American buyer or go dark in the United States once again. (Amazon has reportedly thrown its hat into the ring with an eleventh-hour bid.)

TikTok’s Secret Sauce Is Their Algorithm

In this uncertain interim period, some users say their For You Page curation — TikTok’s secret sauce is an algorithm that feeds content to users with almost clairvoyant accuracy — did not seem as well tailored as it did before the short-lived ban. Others voiced concerns that their content did not seem to be reaching as many viewers as it had before the January outage.

More broadly though, many articulated a newfound anxiety when using the platform, a lingering fear that TikTok could vanish again with the flip of a server switch, taking with it their carefully developed communities and even their livelihoods.

Put another way: The vibes are off.

TikTok did not immediately respond to a request for comment for this article, but in January it told Reuters that neither its policies nor its algorithms had changed during the outage.

“I hate to sound like I’m putting on a tinfoil hat, but I definitely think that there was something different with the app and my For You Page,” said Lauren Wootton, a 23-year-old bartender from Houston.

“I’m not a Trump supporter, but on my page I was getting so much pro-Trump content, and I thought that was really weird because usually your For You Page is built off what you like and what you subscribe to on the app,” she continued. “I’ve never liked any type of that kind of content, so I thought it was really odd.”

Pro-Trump Content Outnumbered Pro-Biden Content on TikTok

Though TikTok did not comment on political content on the platform after the January ban, an internal analysis within TikTok last year, as the 2024 presidential race was underway, found that pro-Trump content vastly outnumbered pro-Biden content on the platform.

Asero, who has over 690,000 followers on TikTok, said her videos did not appear to be reaching as many people these days.

“The second that we got back from the ban, I have noticed that my views have gone down so drastically,” she said. “With almost 700,000 followers, some of my videos won’t even get past like 4,000 views. That wasn’t an issue before the ban.”

The last few months on TikTok had been an “emotional roller coaster,” she said. No matter what happens to the app this month, she would like the decision to be final.

Jeff Guenther, a therapist with a popular TikTok account, echoed Asero’s pleas for a final verdict, noting that the anticipation of another deadline had created a strange feeling on the platform.

“It’s a weird, liminal space filled with ambiguity,” said Guenther, who lives in Portland, Oregon. “We’re trying to carry on like normal, but it’s like you’re at the dinner table and Mom and Dad got into a fight, and now you’re just like trying to eat your dinner and be cool so that nothing weird happens again.”

Part of the seemingly depressed environment on the app may owe to people’s trepidation about putting out their best content on a platform that could soon disappear, despite assurances from President Donald Trump.

TikTok Creators Limit Time Spent Creating Content With Looming Ban

Dori Boyd, a stay-at-home mother and parenting influencer with a modest following, said she had not felt motivated to continue trying to grow her presence on a platform that might not exist in a few days.

“Why am I pouring so much time and effort into something that’s just going to be taken away?” said Boyd, 29, who lives in West Point, New York.

“I don’t think we’re making our best content, and I don’t think we’re like trying our best,” added Guenther, “possibly because you don’t really want to invest in something that might be gone very soon.”

Not everyone has been discouraged.

Wootton, the Texas bartender, said the looming ban had motivated her to focus on trying to build her audience as quickly as possible.

That way, she hopes, they’ll be able to find her on other social media platforms if TikTok goes away.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

By Madison Malone Kircher
c. 2025 The New York Times Company

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

UP NEXT

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

UP NEXT

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

UP NEXT

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

9 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

9 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

9 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

10 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

12 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

12 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

12 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

12 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

13 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

14 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

8 hours ago

8 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
8 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

8 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

9 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

9 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

9 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
10 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

12 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend