Atlanta Braves' Jurickson Profar acknowledges the crowd as he walks up to bat during the first inning of an opening-day baseball game against his former team, the San Diego Padres, March 27, 2025, in San Diego. (AP File)

- Major League Baseball announces that Profar tests positive for a hormone that boosts testosterone.
- Profar will lose $5.8 million of his $12 million salary.
- He also is ineligible for the postseason should the Braves qualify for the playoffs.
Share
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
NEW YORK — Atlanta Braves outfielder Jurickson Profar has been suspended for 80 games without pay for performance-enhancing drug use.
Major League Baseball announced Monday that Profar tested positive for Chorionic Gonadotrophin (hCG) in violation of the league’s joint drug prevention and treatment program. According to the Cleveland Clinic, hCG is a hormone that helps in the production of testosterone.
The suspension of Profar is effective immediately. Barring postponed games, Profar would be eligible to return June 29 against Philadelphia and would lose $5,806,440 of his $12 million salary. He is also ineligible for the postseason.
‘Most Difficult Day of My Career’
Profar called it the “most difficult day of my baseball career” and said he would never knowingly cheat.
“This is especially painful for me because anyone who knows me and has seen me play knows I am deeply passionate about the game,” he said in a statement. “There is nothing I love more than competing with my teammates and being a fan favorite. I want to apologize to the entire Braves organization, my teammates and the fans.
“It is because of my deep love and respect for this game that I would never knowingly do anything to cheat it. I have been tested my entire career, including eight times last season alone, and have never tested positive. I would never willingly take a banned substance, but I take full responsibility and accept MLB’s decision.”
The 32-year-old Profar was an All-Star and won a Silver Slugger last season when he batted .280 and set career highs with 24 homers and 85 RBIs for San Diego. He then signed a three-year, $42 million contract with the Braves in the offseason.
Fourth Player Suspended This Year
Profar is the fourth player who has been suspended this year for violating the performance-enhancing substance policy, with the others coming under the minor league program and the program for minor leaguers assigned outside the United States and Canada.
Two players were suspended last year under the major league drug program.
Noelvi Marté, a 22-year-old infielder who was considered Cincinnati’s top prospect, missed the first 80 games following a positive test for boldenone.
Toronto infielder Orelvis Martínez was suspended for 80 games on June 23 following a positive test for the performance-enhancing drug clomiphene, an announcement made two days after his major league debut.
RELATED TOPICS:
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
2 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
3 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
3 hours ago
As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide
3 hours ago
Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk
4 hours ago
Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks
4 hours ago
Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey
4 hours ago
Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed
4 hours ago
Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile
5 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
1 hour ago
Categories

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
