Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Clovis Unified Doubles Down on Cellphone Restrictions. Will Other Local Districts Follow?
NANCY WEBSITE HEADSHOT 1
By Nancy Price, Multimedia Journalist
Published 8 months ago on
August 13, 2024

Studies show cellphone use hurts students' academic performance and emotional well-being. (GV Wire Composite/David Rodriguez)

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Gov. Gavin Newsom wants schools to tell students it’s time to hang up their cellphones at school. On Tuesday, he renewed his urging that districts restrict students’ smartphone use to improve academic outcomes.

But the issue is still being worked out in some Fresno-area schools.

California is just catching up to Clovis Unified School District, which for several years has had a policy restricting cellphone use for intermediate and high school students, and pretty much banning it for elementary students, spokeswoman Kelly Avants said Tuesday.

The policy bans students from using smartphones unless a teacher allows it for educational purposes. They are not to be used in restrooms, locker rooms, or other spaces where students should expect privacy. They are not to be used to record audio or video content for social media.

Bad Grades, Bad Behavior

The district cites a Rutgers University-News Brunswick study that found personal use of cellphones by students during class not only leads to lower grades for them but also for other students.

In addition, a study by Danish researchers published last month found that when students’ screen time for non-school-related uses is restricted to three hours a week, the students’ mental well-being and behavior improved significantly after just two weeks.

“Last spring we started looking at that just in light of some of the conversations that have been happening around the state, and in light of the body of science that’s now becoming available related to cellphone impacts, to the use of electronic devices, in the classroom and their impact on learning,” Avants said. “And so we’d already made plans to just double down on enforcement of our existing policies and make sure that we’re real consistent.”

The “doubling down” begins with the start of the new school year on Monday, when students, parents, and teachers will be reminded of the cellphone policy and the ramifications of violating it.

“I will admit that we have allowed schools and individual teachers to manage that policy enforcement on their own,” Avants said. “And I think over time, as it just became so prevalent, we were not being consistent in following our policy. So the policy didn’t need to be updated, we just needed to update our awareness of it.”

There’s no outright ban on having a cellphone at school for Clovis Unified secondary students, who can still have access in the event of an emergency, she said.

Bullard High School made headlines in November 2022 when Principal Armen Torigian required students to store their phones in locked bags during the school day,(GV Wire Composite/File)

FUSD Officials Working on Policy

Meanwhile, Fresno Unified will start the new school year with individual schools determining cellphone restrictions, Interim Superintendent Misty Her said. District officials are in the process of reviewing and formulating a districtwide policy, but for now it will be up to schools to work with students, parents, and staff, she said.

Bullard High School made headlines in November 2022 when Principal Armen Torigian required students to store their phones in locked bags during the school day, but that controversy seems to have died down.

Phoenix Secondary also has restricted cellphone use in school by students for some time, Her said.

She said she is in agreement that cell phone use has been detrimental for students both academically and social-emotionally, but slamming on the brakes is not the answer.

The district is reviewing policies in other districts in California, the U.S., and even worldwide as it develops its own policy using best practices, Her said.

In the meantime, schools will continue to call the shots on cellphone restrictions, she said.

Central Unified School District did not respond to an email query before this story’s publication Tuesday afternoon.

Clovis Unified Policy

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

UP NEXT

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

Nancy Price,
Multimedia Journalist
Nancy Price is a multimedia journalist for GV Wire. A longtime reporter and editor who has worked for newspapers in California, Florida, Alaska, Illinois and Kansas, Nancy joined GV Wire in July 2019. She previously worked as an assistant metro editor for 13 years at The Fresno Bee. Nancy earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Her hobbies include singing with the Fresno Master Chorale and volunteering with Fresno Filmworks. You can reach Nancy at 559-492-4087 or Send an Email

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

3 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

4 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

5 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

5 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

5 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

5 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

5 hours ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

U.S. companies had trillions of dollars in value wiped out Thursday after President Donald Trump slapped sweeping tariffs on foreign imports...

5 minutes ago

5 minutes ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

9 minutes ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
2 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
4 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
5 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend