A Fresno Democrat announced he has dropped out of the race to succeed vacating Rep. Kevin McCarthy to represent the Central Valley in Washington.
John Burrows, a staffer for Fresno City Councilman Nelson Esparza, decided not to run after all. Of all those vying for the former House Speaker’s seat, Burrows had raised the most money — $547,000 through Sept. 30.
Burrows said with McCarthy no longer running, “the dynamics of this race have shifted.”
“It is apparent multiple Democrats running in a primary … will likely box out any Democrat from making the top 2 Runoff General Election. The Central Valley can’t afford to chose between two MAGA Republicans,” Burrows said in a news release.
Burrows said he is endorsing Bakersfield educator Marisa Wood in the Congressional District 20 race.
In the final days of the nomination period, Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux returned his paperwork. So did Casino One owner Kyle Kirkland of Fresno, and former candidate and veteran Matthew Stoll. All are Republicans.
There is still the question of Assemblyman Vince Fong’s eligibility. Fong turned in his paperwork to stand for re-election before changing his mind and saying he wanted to campaign for McCarhty’s seat in the heavily Republican district. State election law does not allow a withdrawal after qualification, and only allows a candidate to run for one office per election.
The Secretary of State’s office is looking into the issue but hasn’t ruled on Fong’s bid to run for Congress.
The Secretary of State has a Dec. 28 deadline to certify candidates.
Unofficial List of CA-20 Candidates
The unofficial candidate list as of Wednesday’s filing deadline included:
- Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux, R-Springville
- Assemblyman Vince Fong, R-Bakersfield
- Club One Casino owner Kyle Kirkland, R-Fresno
- Businessman and former Navy pilot Matthew Stoll, R-Visalia
- Businessman David Giglio, R-Madera
- Educator and 2022 candidate Marisa Wood, D-Bakersfield
- Sarah Jacqueline Goldberg, D-Frazier Park
- Andy Morales, D-Fresno
- Mohammad Arif, Peace and Freedom-Bakersfield
- Ben Dewell, No party preference-Tehachapi
- Sathya J. Knechler, unknown