Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

1 hour ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

3 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

4 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

4 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

6 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

1 day ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

1 day ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

1 day ago
Judge Fines Donald Trump $5,000 After Post Maligning Court Staffer Is Found on Campaign Website
By admin
Published 2 years ago on
October 20, 2023

Share

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

NEW YORK — Former President Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after his disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud trial lingered on his campaign website for weeks after the judge ordered it deleted.

Judge Arthur Engoron avoided holding Trump in contempt for now, but reserved the right to do so — and possibly even put the 2024 Republican front-runner in jail — if he again violates a limited gag order barring case participants from personal attacks on court staff.

Engoron said in a written ruling that he is “way beyond the ‘warning’ stage,” but that he was only fining Trump a nominal amount because this was a “first time violation” and Trump’s lawyers said the website’s retention of the post had been inadvertent.

Warning for Future Violations

“Make no mistake: future violations, whether intentional or unintentional, will subject the violator to far more severe sanctions, which may include steeper financial penalties, holding Donald Trump in contempt of court, and possibly imprisoning him,” Engoron wrote in a two-page order.

Messages seeking comment on the ruling were left with Trump’s lawyers and a campaign spokesman.

Trump lawyer Christopher Kise earlier blamed the “very large machine” of Trump’s White House campaign for allowing the post to remain on the website after Trump had deleted it from social media, as ordered, calling it an unintentional oversight. It was removed from the website late Thursday after Engoron flagged it to Trump’s lawyers.

Trump wasn’t in court Friday. He’d been at the trial Tuesday and Wednesday after attending the first three days in early October. Outside court this week, he aimed his enmity at Engoron and New York Attorney General Letitia James, whose fraud lawsuit is being decided at the civil trial. Neither are covered by Engoron’s gag order.

Responsibility Lies with Trump

Engoron, however, said the buck ultimately stops with Trump — even if it was someone on his campaign who failed to remove the offending post. He gave Trump 10 days to pay the fine.

“I want to be clear that Donald Trump is still responsible for the large machine even if it’s a large machine,” Engoron said after discussing the matter with Trump’s lawyers before testimony resumed Friday morning.

Engoron issued a limited gag order Oct. 3 barring all participants in the case from smearing his staff after Trump maligned principal law clerk Allison Greenfield in a post on Trump’s Truth Social platform. The judge ordered Trump to delete the post, which made a baseless insinuation about the clerk’s personal life, and warned of “serious sanctions” for violations.

“In the current overheated climate, incendiary untruths can, and in some cases already have, led to serious physical harm, and worse,” Engoron wrote Friday.

Before Trump deleted the post from Truth Social, as ordered, his campaign copied the message into an email blast. That email, with the subject line “ICYMI,” was automatically archived on Trump’s website, Kise said.

The email was sent to about 25,800 recipients on the campaign’s media list and opened by about 6,700 of them, Kise told Engoron after obtaining the statistics at the morning break. In all, only 3,700 people viewed the post on Trump’s campaign website, the lawyer said.

“What happened appears truly inadvertent,” Kise said. The lawyer pleaded ignorance to the technological complexities involved in amplifying Trump’s social media posts and public statements, calling the archiving “an unfortunate part of the campaign process.”

Possible Contempt and Fines

New York law allows judges to impose fines or imprisonment as punishment for contempt. Last year, Engoron held Trump in contempt and fined him $110,000 for being slow to respond to a subpoena in the investigation that led to the lawsuit.

James’ lawsuit accuses Trump and his company of duping banks and insurers by giving them heavily inflated statements of Trump’s net worth and asset values. Engoron has already ruled that Trump and his company committed fraud, but the trial involves remaining claims of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records.

Trump denies wrongdoing, arguing that a disclaimer on his financial statements absolves him of any culpability and that some of his assets are worth far more than what’s listed on the documents. He’s called the trial a “sham,” a “scam” and “a continuation of the single greatest witch hunt of all time.”

The contempt discussion brought unexpected drama to a sleepy Friday ahead of what’s shaping up to be a busy week at the Manhattan trial. Trump’s onetime lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, now a key state witness, said he’ll likely be on the witness stand Tuesday after postponing this week because of a health issue.

Trump and his two eldest sons, Eric and Donald Trump Jr., are expected to testify in a few weeks. His daughter Ivanka Trump is fighting a subpoena for her testimony. Engoron set a hearing on that dispute for next week.

Ivanka Trump was initially a defendant, but an appeals court dropped her from the case in June after finding that claims against her were outside the statute of limitations. Her lawyer argued in court papers Thursday that state lawyers failed to properly serve her subpoena and that she shouldn’t be forced to testify because she isn’t a party to the case and lives outside the court’s New York jurisdiction.

James’ office never questioned Ivanka Trump at a deposition and is now “effectively trying to force her back into this case,” her lawyer, Bennet Moskowitz, wrote.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

DON'T MISS

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

DON'T MISS

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

DON'T MISS

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

DON'T MISS

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

DON'T MISS

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

DON'T MISS

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

DON'T MISS

Turkey Bars Israeli Ships from Its Ports and Restricts Airspace

DON'T MISS

UK, France, Germany Urge Iran to Agree to Deal to Delay UN Sanctions

DON'T MISS

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

UP NEXT

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

UP NEXT

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

UP NEXT

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

UP NEXT

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

UP NEXT

Fresno State Coordinators Outline Bulldog Bounceback for Georgia Southern

UP NEXT

Gentle Sweet Sasha Is Guaranteed to Steal Your Heart

UP NEXT

Clovis Police to Increase DUI Patrols on Labor Day Weekend

UP NEXT

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

UP NEXT

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

1 hour ago

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

1 hour ago

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

2 hours ago

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

2 hours ago

Turkey Bars Israeli Ships from Its Ports and Restricts Airspace

2 hours ago

UK, France, Germany Urge Iran to Agree to Deal to Delay UN Sanctions

2 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

3 hours ago

Fresno State Coordinators Outline Bulldog Bounceback for Georgia Southern

3 hours ago

Gentle Sweet Sasha Is Guaranteed to Steal Your Heart

4 hours ago

Clovis Police to Increase DUI Patrols on Labor Day Weekend

4 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

The length of a conversation over fast-food drive-thru approvals took some Fresno City Council members by surprise Thursday. What some thoug...

2 minutes ago

A Dutch Bros Coffee employee takes customers drink orders at cars lined up at a drive-thru.
2 minutes ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

8 minutes ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

1 hour ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

1 hour ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

Fresno area schools on U.S. News's Best High School Ranking
1 hour ago

U.S. News Releases Best High School Rankings. How Did Fresno Schools Do?

2 hours ago

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris

railroad crossing
2 hours ago

Fresno Labor Day Traffic Alert for Motorists Using Maroa Avenue

2 hours ago

Turkey Bars Israeli Ships from Its Ports and Restricts Airspace

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend