Now that Elon Musk has taken over Twitter, hundreds of thousands of users — including celebrities —have exited the social media behemoth.
The question is, if not Twitter, then what?
CBS News offers five alternative platforms for disgruntled former Twitter users to consider:
- CounterSocial, which bills itself the place with “No trolls. No abuse. No ads. No fake-news. No foreign influence ops.”
- Discord. Born as a place for gamers to chat while playing video games, it is now a social media site with 150 million active monthly users.
- LinkedIn. Originally a business networking site, it now claims 875 million users and loads of new features.
- Mastodon, which is a micro-sized open-source alternative to Twitter. However, The Washington Post reports that it gained 22,139 new accounts this past week.
- Reddit, an online forum where users comment on everything from A to Z.