Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Audit: Millions May Have to Repay California Jobless Aid
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 4 years ago on
January 27, 2021

Share

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California’s unemployment agency might have overpaid millions of people since March after it stopped enforcing some eligibility rules so they could process claims faster, according to a new audit released Tuesday.

As millions of claims poured in during the height of state restrictions on businesses, state officials decided to stop doing some of the time-consuming work necessary to make sure people who applied for benefits were eligible to get them. They also stopped their bimonthly checks with people who were already getting benefits to make sure they were still eligible to receive them.

The result: Up to 4.1 million claimants could have to repay some or all of the unemployment benefits they got during the pandemic — some through no fault of their own. Of those claims. 2.7 million might have been ineligible for benefits at all and 1.7 million might have been overpaid. It’s unclear if there is overlap between the two groups.

A new report from California State Auditor Elaine Howle on Tuesday found the agency has “no clear plan” to address that backlog, saying it “represents a workload never before seen by the department.”

“That could have significant consequences for claimants,” the audit said.

The backlog represents at least 12.7 million eligibility determinations affecting 2.4 million people. Using the agency’s estimate of an average of 30 minutes to resolve each issue, it would require more than 3 million hours of work — or more than 342 years — to resolve all of it.

Howle said many of those claims are likely good faith mistakes made by people who did not know the eligibility rules for unemployment benefits. Others represent people who did everything the agency told them to do, but were victims of poor oversight by state officials.

Others were likely fraudulent. On Monday, California Labor Secretary Julie Su estimated the state has paid $11.4 billion in fraudulent claims during the pandemic, representing 10% of the more than $114 billion in benefits paid since March.

The Employment Development Department Has Been Under Intense Pressure

Usually, people who the state has overpaid have up to two years to pay it back. The state can waive that repayment under certain conditions, including if there is no fraud involved. But the audit says it’s unclear how many people would qualify for this because the agency has not yet analyzed all of the claims. State law gives the agency two years to issue overpayment notices in cases that do not involve fraud.

The Employment Development Department has been under intense pressure by state lawmakers and the public to more quickly process benefits during the pandemic. The agency’s rush to do that, along with Congress approving a major expansion of benefits with few eligibility safeguards, have made the agency — and others like it in states across the country — an easy target for fraud.

Howle said the decision to stop enforcing some eligibility rules to speed up payments was “drastic,” especially given the agency appears not to have learned from its mistakes in the 10 years since the last unemployment spike hit during the Great Recession.

Howle said previous audits of the agency have revealed its lack of planning for recessions, poor management of call centers and a laborious training program for new employees that hindered its ability to respond to any surge in claims.

But in the decade since the last unemployment peak, Howle agency officials adopted no meaningful major reforms. Employment Development Director Rita Saenz, who took over last month after the previous director retired, hinted in a response letter that the blame lies partly on the state Legislature, which usually only pays significant attention to the agency during a recession.

“We agree that in order to function in bad times, the government needs to make investments in good times in infrastructure, technology, funding, and staff training,” Saenz wrote.

Assemblyman Jim Patterson, a Republican who has been in the Legislature for eight years, said lawmakers did not give the agency more money or resources because they did not ask for them.

“We can only do our job if we have access to these individuals and that they tell us the truth,” he said. “They knew (the problems), they ignored it and they did not tell the Legislature the truth about the seriousness of what they knew.”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

36 minutes ago

36 minutes ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
45 minutes ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

2 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

2 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

2 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

2 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
3 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

5 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend