Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

15 hours ago

US Air Force will Offer Military Funeral Honors to Slain Capitol Rioter

17 hours ago

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

18 hours ago

Wall Street Falls as Dell, Nvidia Drive Tech Losses

18 hours ago

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

20 hours ago

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

2 days ago

Ford Recalls Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Brake Fluid Leak

2 days ago

Fresno-Bound Passenger Says Delta Attendant Slapped Him, Seeks $20M

2 days ago
2 People Shot to Death During Protest Over Kenosha Shooting
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
August 26, 2020

Share

KENOSHA, Wis. — Two people were shot to death during a night of anti-racism protests in Kenosha in a possible vigilante attack carried out apparently by a young white man who was caught on cellphone video opening fire in the middle of the street with a semi-automatic rifle.

The gunfire erupted late Tuesday, just before midnight, during the third straight night of unrest in Kenosha over the police shooting of a Black man, Jacob Blake.

According to witness accounts and video footage, police apparently let the young man responsible for some or all of the shootings walk past them with a rifle over his shoulder as members of the crowd were yelling for him to be arrested because he had shot people.

Sheriff David Beth said one victim was shot in the head and the other in the chest, the Milwaukee Journal Sentine l reported. A third person was also shot, but the wounds were not believed to life-threatening.

Beth said that investigators had reviewed footage and that he was confident a man would be arrested soon.

According to witness accounts and video footage, police apparently let the young man responsible for some or all of the shootings walk past them with a rifle over his shoulder as members of the crowd were yelling for him to be arrested because he had shot people.

The sheriff told the Journal Sentinel that armed people had been patrolling the city’s streets in recent nights, but he did not know if the gunman was among them.

“They’re a militia,” Beth said. “They’re like a vigilante group.”

The FBI said it is assisting in the case.

Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, who is Black, said in an interview with the news program “Democracy Now!” that the shootings were not surprising and that white militias have been ignored for too long.

“How many times across this country do you see armed gunmen, protesting, walking into state Capitols, and everybody just thinks it’s OK?” Barnes said. “People treat that like it’s some kind of normal activity that people are walking around with assault rifles.”

In this September 2019 selfie photo taken in Evanston, Ill., Adria-Joi Watkins poses with her second cousin Jacob Blake. He is recovering from being shot multiple times by Kenosha police on Aug. 23. (Courtesy Adria-Joi Watkins via AP)

The Gunman Stands up and Continues Walking Down the Street as Police Cars Arrive

Cellphone video of at least two of the shootings that was posted online shows a young man with a rifle jogging down the middle of a street as a crowd and some police officers follow him. Someone in the crowd can be heard asking, “What did he do?” and another person responds that the man had shot someone.

The man with the gun stumbles and falls, and as he is approached by people in the crowd, he fires three or four shots from a seated position, hitting at least two people, including one who falls over and another who stumbles away to cries of “Medic! Medic!”

A witness, Julio Rosas, 24, said that when the gunman stumbled and fell, “two people jumped onto him and there was a struggle for control of his rifle. At that point during the struggle, he just began to fire multiple rounds and that dispersed people near him.”

“The rifle was being jerked around in all directions while it was being fired,” Rosas said.

In the cellphone footage, as the crowd scatters, the gunman stands up and continues walking down the street as police cars arrive. The man puts up his hands and walks toward the squad cars, with someone in the crowd yelling at police that the man had just shot someone, but several of the cars drive past him toward the people who had been shot.

Protester Devin Scott told the Chicago Tribune that he witnessed one of the shootings.

“We were all chanting ‘Black lives matter’ at the gas station and then we heard, boom, boom, and I told my friend, `’That’s not fireworks,’” said Scott, 19. “And then this guy with this huge gun runs by us in the middle of the street and people are yelling, ‘He shot someone! He shot someone!’ And everyone is trying to fight the guy, chasing him and then he started shooting again.”

Blake Was Shot, Apparently in the Back, as He Leaned Into His SUV, Three of His Children Seated Inside

Scott said he cradled a lifeless victim in his arms, and a woman started performing CPR, but “I don’t think he made it.”

Blake was shot, apparently in the back, as he leaned into his SUV, three of his children seated inside. The shooting was captured on cellphone video and ignited new protests in the U.S. three months after the death of George Floyd under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer touched off a nationwide reckoning over racial injustice.

In other widely circulating video, police can be heard thanking and tossing bottled water from an armored vehicle to what appear to be armed civilians walking the streets.

“We appreciate you being here,” an officer is heard saying over a loudspeaker.

At a news conference earlier Tuesday, Ben Crump, the lawyer for Blake’s family, said that Blake was shot multiple times by police on Sunday and that it would “take a miracle” for him to walk again. He called for the officer who opened fire to be arrested and for the others involved to lose their jobs.

Blake was shot, apparently in the back, as he leaned into his SUV, three of his children seated inside. The shooting was captured on cellphone video and ignited new protests in the U.S. three months after the death of George Floyd under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer touched off a nationwide reckoning over racial injustice.

Kenosha police have said little about what happened other than that they were responding to a domestic dispute. They have not said why the officers opened fire or whether Blake was armed, and they have not disclosed the race of three officers on the scene.

The 29-year-old Blake underwent surgery Tuesday, according to Crump, who added that the bullets severed his spinal cord and shattered his vertebrae. Another attorney said there was also severe damage to organs.

Police in riot gear clear the area in front of Kenosha County Courthouse during clashes with protesters late Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2020, in Kenosha, Wis. Protests continue following the police shooting of Jacob Blake two days earlier. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

During the Latest Round of Unrest on Tuesday, Police Fired Tear Gas for the Third Straight Night

Blake’s father, also named Jacob Blake, told the Chicago Sun-Times that his son had eight holes in his body. At a news conference, he said police shot his son “seven times, seven times, like he didn’t matter.”

“But my son matters. He’s a human being and he matters,” he said.

During the latest round of unrest on Tuesday, police fired tear gas for the third straight night to disperse protesters who had gathered outside Kenosha’s courthouse, where some shook a protective fence and threw water bottles and fireworks at officers lined up behind it. On Monday night, crowds destroyed dozens of buildings and set more than 30 fires downtown.

Before the two deadly shootings, the Kenosha County Board sent a letter Tuesday to Democratic Gov. Tony Evers requesting that at least 2,000 more National Guard troops be sent. Evers initially dispatched 150 troops on Monday and increased that to 250 on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the board sent a second request, for 1,500 troops.

“Our county is under attack. Our businesses are under attack. Our homes are under attack. Our local law enforcement agencies need additional support to help bring civility back to our community,” board leaders wrote.

Evers did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson and GOP Rep. Bryan Steil, whose district includes Kenosha, said Evers should accept federal troops from President Donald Trump.

Anger over the shooting has spilled into the streets of other cities, including Los Angeles and Minneapolis, the epicenter of the Black Lives Matter movement this summer following Floyd’s death.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

What Are Fresno Real Estate Experts Predicting for 2025 and Beyond?

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

DON'T MISS

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

DON'T MISS

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

DON'T MISS

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

DON'T MISS

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

DON'T MISS

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

DON'T MISS

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

DON'T MISS

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

DON'T MISS

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

UP NEXT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

UP NEXT

US Republican Senator Joni Ernst Will Not Run for Re-Election, CBS News Reports

UP NEXT

Trump Moves to Permanently Cancel Funding in Rare Move Around Congress

UP NEXT

US Denies Visas to Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly

UP NEXT

Trump Ends Security Protection for Former Vice President Harris, Senior White House Official Says

UP NEXT

Trump Signs Order to End Collective Bargaining With Some Federal Unions

UP NEXT

Minneapolis Children Revealed Courage, Absorbed Fear During Church Shooting

UP NEXT

Trump Signs Memo to Prevent Federal Grants From Being Diverted to Lobbying, White House Says

UP NEXT

Fresno vs. Clovis: Which City Is Cheaper to Live in Right Now?

UP NEXT

White House Fires Member of Railroad-Regulating Surface Transportation Board

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

12 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

12 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

12 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

12 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

13 hours ago

Fresno Shelter Helps Homeless Recover from Hospital Stays. It’s Also a ‘Good Neighbor’

13 hours ago

Drive-Thru Debate Heats Up at Fresno City Council Meeting

14 hours ago

Judge Blocks Enforcement of Texas Law Restricting DEI and ESG Advice

14 hours ago

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Signs Law Redrawing Congressional Maps

15 hours ago

Trump Cancels $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid, Escalating Spending Fight with Congress

15 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters. Gov. Gavin Newsom launched a new homeless response task fo...

10 hours ago

City worker in protective gear removes belongings near a yellow tent during a homeless encampment cleanup at an urban transit stop.
10 hours ago

Gov. Newsom Launches New Task Force To Clear CA Homeless Encampments

Fresno County’s Garnet Fire has burned 17,159 acres with 8% containment as of Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, prompting evacuations while officials confirm the cause and some areas remain open for Labor Day. (U.S. Forest Service)
10 hours ago

Fresno Supervisor Nathan Magsig Says Crews Gaining Ground on Garnet Fire

Bobby Salazar motorcycle gang fire restaurant Blackstone fresno insurance fraud
11 hours ago

Judge Allows Release of Accused Arsonist Bobby Salazar on $1M Bond

Curtis Wayne Recek is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for August 29, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
12 hours ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Curtis Wayne Recek

12 hours ago

Fresno Area Schools Prep for Football With Stout Security Measures

Fire at Yosemite Falls Cafe on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Fresno FD)
12 hours ago

Fresno Blaze Damages Yosemite Falls Café, Restaurant to Remain Closed

The seal of the U.S. Justice Department is seen on the podium in the Department's headquarters briefing room before a news conference with the Attorney General in Washington, January 24, 2023. (Reuters File)
12 hours ago

Florida Man Indicted for Fentanyl Smuggling Scheme Using Drones

Abdulrahman Hisham, 20, an Egyptian social media content creator, looks at his page with several videos, amid a wave of cases prompting Egypt to consider tighter regulations on social media platforms at his residence in n Cairo, Egypt August, 20, 2025. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
13 hours ago

Egypt Rounds up Teenaged TikTokkers in Crackdown on Social Media

Search

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Send this to a friend