Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Valley Schools, Fresno State Face Big Cuts Under Budget Revision
NANCY WEBSITE HEADSHOT 1
By Nancy Price, Multimedia Journalist
Published 5 years ago on
May 15, 2020

Share

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced massive cuts to California’s education budget due to revenue losses in the economic recession sparked by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The May Revision of the 2020-21 proposed $203 billion budget includes $99.7 billion for K-12 schools and $18.6 billion for community colleges and public universities.


Listen to this article:

But although schools will have to grapple with a 10% cut in local control funding, Newsom has continued his commitment to increasing support for special education.

And, in recognition of the significant impacts the shutdowns have had on students, especially those whose limited access to the internet affects their ability to do distance learning, the May Revision includes $4.4 billion in federal coronavirus relief funds to address learning losses and to support an earlier start to the upcoming school year.

Lost Revenue for Fresno State

Fresno State President Joseph I. Castro called the revision “sobering, but not unexpected.”

He noted that there is still uncertainty as to how deep the cuts may have to be, since state income taxes aren’t due until July 15 and officials won’t be able to assess revenues until after that.

Castro noted that the May budget revise maintains funding for Cal Grants for students, including those with dependent children, which was added last year.

“Continuing this initiative to prioritize affordability and access will be critical as more workers return to higher education and job training after losing a job,” he said in a statement.

The university and its auxiliary organizations have lost $13 million in revenues this year in dining, athletics, Save Mart Center activities, parking, and housing, Castro said.

Cost Trims Under Way

Cost-cutting measures have been implemented, such as postponing events and travel and halting new hiring for noncritical jobs. Castro said he has tasked the vice presidents with preparing budget reduction plans for 2020-21.

Castro said he’s optimistic about enrollments for new freshmen and returning students, based on acceptances and registrations. The deadline for new freshmen acceptances was moved from May 1 to June 1.

The California State University chancellor announced this week that campuses will be closed for the fall semester and classes will be held online.

The university is hoping to capture some students who attend a four-year college or university elsewhere in California or the U.S. but whose families live in Fresno, Madera, Tulare, or Kings counties, and who have moved back home in the midst of the pandemic.

The Welcome Home Initiative is a streamlined admissions process that is the first of its kind in the CSU, and a one-time program for Fresno State.

Exact enrollment data won’t be available until several weeks into the fall semester, Castro said.

State Center Ready for ‘Austere’ Cuts

State Center Community College District administrators already discussed with the trustees the “austere” budget reductions ahead, Chancellor Paul Parnell said.

“At the same time we know that education is an important component to get people back into the workforce with skills they need to succeed as part of the economic recovery,” he said.

Clovis Unified sees the proposed budget as a “mixed bag for school districts. Better than what we’d been forewarned of, but still steep cuts to California’s schools,” spokeswoman Kelly Avants said.

District officials are combing through the details to learn how Clovis Unified will be impacted specifically, she said.

Sonja Dosti, the spokeswoman for Central Unified School District, said administrators declined to comment on the May Revision until after they’ve had more time for study and to get a briefing next week by School Services of California, a Sacramento-based resource for education agencies.

Fresno Unified Eyes Cost-Cutting

Officials with Fresno Unified School District did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

On Wednesday, the day before Newsom released the May Revision, trustees got a budget briefing that forecast revenue losses for the district ranging from $39 million to $160 million.

Budget-cutting proposals include delaying new textbook adoption ($11.2 million) and reducing the workers’ compensation reserve ($3.1 million).

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

How Safe Is It to Walk to School? Fresno County Wants to Find Out

Nancy Price,
Multimedia Journalist
Nancy Price is a multimedia journalist for GV Wire. A longtime reporter and editor who has worked for newspapers in California, Florida, Alaska, Illinois and Kansas, Nancy joined GV Wire in July 2019. She previously worked as an assistant metro editor for 13 years at The Fresno Bee. Nancy earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Her hobbies include singing with the Fresno Master Chorale and volunteering with Fresno Filmworks. You can reach Nancy at 559-492-4087 or Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

13 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

16 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

16 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

17 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
11 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

12 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

13 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
14 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

16 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend