Share
Kingsburg’s top administrator is hoping Tuesday’s decision in a federal lawsuit will now allow a promised 1,000 employee call center to move forward in his community.
“I feel better today than I did last week,” Kingsburg City Manager Alexander Henderson said. “Hopefully, we’re getting to some final resolution.”
Listen to this article:

Call Center Dependent on Merger Approval
The opening of the call center is contingent on the successful merger of T-Mobile with rival carrier Sprint, the company’s announcement said. While the deal was previously approved by the Trump administration, a group of state attorneys general sued to block it. They argued that having one fewer phone company would cost Americans billions of dollars in higher bills.
Consumer Reports agreed, saying the three remaining companies would have fewer incentives to compete on prices and quality.
But a federal judge ruled in T-Mobile’s favor and the company said it expects to close the merger as early as April 1.
Henderson said Kingsburg officials have been in touch regularly with T-Mobile, though details on the call center’s location or timeline have not been revealed.
“Most of our discussions have been somewhat hypothetical based upon different sites that they’ve been scouting,” he said. “And then just answering questions as it relates to Kingsburg’s code and our planning processes and approval processes and things like that.“
“I think they’ve kept a lot of their options open so that they could move quickly if and when the merger was finalized,” Henderson said.
Other Communities Also Promised Jobs
Additional approvals are still needed, including from California’s Public Utilities Commission.
“We can’t wait to be a partner in the revitalized Central Valley,” T-Mobile president Mike Sievert was quoted as saying in the company’s April announcement. “We’re really excited to join the greater Kingsburg community, add an amazing group of 1,000 employees to our Magenta family, and get to work taking care of our customers!”
The company has pledged to open similar call centers in Overland Park, Kansas; Rochester, New York; and Nassau County, New York. All are subject to the merger’s completion.
T-Mobile launched its bid for Sprint in 2018, after having been rebuffed by Obama-era regulators. T-Mobile CEO John Legere had seen President Donald Trump’s election and his appointed regulators as a good opportunity to try again to combine, according to evidence during the trial.
The company promised not to raise prices for three years and said the combined T-Mobile-Sprint would build a better 5G network — a priority for the Trump administration — than either company could alone.
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
8 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
10 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
11 hours ago
Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6
11 hours ago
Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike
12 hours ago
President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point
13 hours ago
Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal
13 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
