Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
California Could Require Parents' OK for Social Media Access
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
September 12, 2019

Share

SACRAMENTO โ€” California is considering tightening the rules for children under 13 using social media.
The state Senate voted 31-4 on Thursday to require social media companies to first get the consent of a parent or guardian before creating an account for a child the company knows is under 13.
Federal law already requires social media companies to get permission from parents for collecting data children under 13. Thatโ€™s why most social media companies, including Facebook, already ban children under 13 from creating accounts.
But the bill moving through the California Legislature would also extend those protections to children creating social media accounts.
โ€œSocial media is powerful, and itโ€™s also very, very dangerous,โ€ Democratic state Sen. Susan Rubio said. โ€œIt is a real threat to our children.โ€

Concern for LGBT Youth

But Democratic Sen. Scott Wiener says the bill would harm LGBT youth who live in abusive households by isolating them from others like them.
โ€œThese kids without access to the internet are quickly cut off from any hope of understanding that there is hope for them and that there are people like them in the world,โ€ said Wiener, who is chairman of the California Legislative LGBTQ Caucus.
The state Assembly still must approve the bill before sending it to Gov. Gavin Newsomโ€™s desk.
The bill would give companies several options for verifying parental consent, including getting a signature on a consent form, collecting credit or debit card information from the parent or setting up a toll-free number staffed by people trained to verify the person giving consent is the legal guardian of the child.

Feds Cracking Down on Social Media Companies

Federal regulators have also cracked down on companies who fail to protect kids online. The Federal Trade Commission and the state of New York slapped video streaming site YouTube with a $170 million fine last week to settle a claim that the Google-owned site collected personal information from children without parental consent.
Even though YouTube says it is intended for people ages 13 and older, younger kids often use the site.
YouTube said it will limit data collection on any video aimed at kids, and will promote its YouTube Kids site and app, which require parental consent. The company uses math questions on its YouTube Kids site to verify it is an adult signing in.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

No More Calling โ€˜Shotgun?โ€™ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

Pentagonโ€™s Watchdog to Review Hegsethโ€™s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

1 hour ago

President Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

2 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Californiaโ€™s effort to have no new gas-powered vehicles sold in the state by 2035 is beginning, and it requires 35% of all 2026 models...

34 minutes ago

34 minutes ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
47 minutes ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

56 minutes ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
1 hour ago

Pentagonโ€™s Watchdog to Review Hegsethโ€™s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
2 hours ago

President Trumpโ€™s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

2 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

2 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

2 hours ago

No More Calling โ€˜Shotgun?โ€™ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend