Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Trump Administration Cancels $1 Billion for Bullet Train
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
May 16, 2019

Share

SACRAMENTO — The Trump administration canceled nearly $1 billion Thursday in federal money for California’s high-speed rail project, further throwing into question the future of the ambitious plan to connect Los Angeles and San Francisco.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom immediately pledged to take the administration to court.

“The Trump Administration’s action is illegal and a direct assault on California.” —  Gov. Gavin Newsom

“The Trump Administration’s action is illegal and a direct assault on California,” he said in an emailed statement. “This is California’s money, appropriated by Congress, and we will vigorously defend it in court.”

The Federal Railroad Administration’s official word it was canceling the money came several months after President Donald Trump and Newsom sniped at each other over the project. The FRA said in a statement that it’s still exploring whether it can force California to return $2.5 billion the state has already spent.

Trump made the rail line an issue when he seized on Newsom’s remarks in February that the project as planned would cost too much and take too long.

Feds Say California Hasn’t Made ‘Reasonable Progress’ on Project

Newsom has shifted the project’s immediate focus to a 171-mile line in the Central Valley, from Bakersfield to Merced, but he said he’s still committed to building the full line.

Still, federal officials said California has repeatedly failed to make “reasonable progress” and abandoned the original vision.

Voters initially approved about $10 billion in bond funds for the project in 2008. It faced repeated cost overruns and delays since then. It’s now projected to cost more than $77 billion and be finished by 2033.

While the $929 million is a critical piece of the project’s funding plan, state rail officials were not expecting to access the money until 2021, according to a recently released project update. If a court battle over the money drags on, that could put the state in position to win the money back or get more from the federal government if Democrats win the White House and control of Congress in 2020.

Still, the move to withdraw the money is a problem for the project, which is chronically underfunded.

The $3.5 billion the state has been awarded in federal money is dedicated to pay for an initial segment of track under construction in the Central Valley and to complete environmental reviews on the entire 520-mile line.

The $1 billion the administration has withdrawn is about one-twelfth of the money the state is counting on to pay for the initial line.

Officials highlighted the possibility of losing the money in a new business plan released in early May. They said losing the money would force the state to re-evaluate whether it can provide early train service in the Central Valley and require rail officials to look for funding elsewhere.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

UP NEXT

Inside a $17 Billion Maintenance Backlog Plaguing California’s Universities

UP NEXT

California Lawmakers Reject Bills to Restrict Transgender Youth in School Sports

UP NEXT

California Just Blew Its First Deadline for Voter-Approved Healthcare Measure

UP NEXT

CA Snowpack Is Near-Average. What Does This Mean for Water Supplies?

UP NEXT

California Gov. Newsom Says the Democratic Brand Is ‘Toxic’

UP NEXT

Silver Fire Grows to 1,250 Acres, Threatens Homes in Inyo County

UP NEXT

Sue or Hold Back? The University of California Does Both as It Faces Trump’s Wrath

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

13 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

16 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

16 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

17 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
11 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

12 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

13 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

13 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

13 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
14 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

16 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend