Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Women’s National Soccer Team Players Sue for Equal Pay
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
March 8, 2019

Share

Players for the U.S. women’s national soccer team have filed a federal gender discrimination lawsuit seeking pay that is equitable to that of their male counterparts.

The action comes just three months before the team will defend its title at the Women’s World Cup in France.

“We believe it is our duty to be the role models that we’ve set out to be and fight to what we know we legally deserve. And hopefully in that way it inspires women everywhere.” — forward Christen Press

The players allege that they have been subject to ongoing “institutionalized gender discrimination,” including unequal pay, despite having the same job responsibilities as players on the men’s national team. The 28 members of the current national team player pool joined in the class-action lawsuit against the U.S. Soccer Federation, which was filed Friday in federal court in Los Angeles under the Equal Pay Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

The players are seeking equitable pay and treatment, in addition to damages including back pay.

“We believe it is our duty to be the role models that we’ve set out to be and fight to what we know we legally deserve,” forward Christen Press told The Associated Press. “And hopefully in that way it inspires women everywhere.”

The U.S. Women’s National Team Players Association was not party to the lawsuit, but in a statement said it “supports the plaintiffs’ goal of eliminating gender-based discrimination by USSF.”

The U.S. Soccer Federation didn’t have an immediate comment.

Not the First Time Players Have Sought Equal Pay

The USSF has maintained in the past that much of the pay disparity between the men’s and women’s teams results from separate collective bargaining agreements.

The women’s team set up its compensation structure, which included a guaranteed salary rather than a pay-for-play model like the men, in the last labor contract. The players also earn salaries — paid by the federation — for playing in the National Women’s Soccer League.

The women receive other benefits, including health care, that the men’s national team players don’t receive, the federation has maintained.

This is not the first time the players have sought equitable compensation and conditions.

A group of players filed a complaint in 2016 with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that alleged wage discrimination by the federation. The players maintained that players for the men’s team earned far more than they did, in many cases despite comparable work.

The lawsuit effectively ends that EEOC complaint, brought by Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, Becky Sauerbrunn, Carli Lloyd and former goalkeeper Hope Solo. The players received a right to sue letter from the EEOC last month.

Players Received Raises in Base Pay and Bonuses

The team took the fight for equality into contract negotiations and struck a collective bargaining agreement in 2017 that runs through 2021.

The players received raises in base pay and bonuses as well as better provisions for travel and accommodations, including increased per diems. It also gave the players some control of certain licensing and marketing rights. Specific details about the deal were not disclosed.

“At the heart of this whole issue we believe that it’s the right thing. We believe that there has been discrimination against us.” — midfielder Megan Rapinoe

“This lawsuit is an effort by the plaintiffs to address those serious issues through the exercise of their individual rights. For its part, the USWNTPA will continue to seek improvements in pay and working conditions through the labor-management and collective bargaining processes,” the players’ union said.

The lawsuit filed Friday seeks “an adjustment of the wage rates and benefits for Plaintiffs Morgan, Lloyd, Rapinoe and Sauerbrunn and the class to the level these Plaintiffs and the class would be enjoying but for the USSF’s discriminatory practices.”

“At the heart of this whole issue we believe that it’s the right thing. We believe that there has been discrimination against us,” midfielder Megan Rapinoe said. “And while we have fought very hard and for a long time, whether that be through our CBA or through our players association, putting ourselves in the best possible position that we can to get the best deal that we can, we still feel that we don’t have what we’re trying to achieve, which is equality in the workplace.”

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

DON'T MISS

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

DON'T MISS

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

DON'T MISS

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

DON'T MISS

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

DON'T MISS

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

DON'T MISS

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

UP NEXT

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

UP NEXT

Here’s How the New NFL Rules on Kickoffs and Overtime Will Work

UP NEXT

Webb Pitches 7 Strong Innings as Giants Beat Astros

UP NEXT

Curry Drops 52 as Warriors Beat Grizzlies, Move into Fifth in West

UP NEXT

Dodgers Extend Perfect Start Behind May and Betts’ Heroics

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

29 minutes ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

40 minutes ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

51 minutes ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

1 hour ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

1 hour ago

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

2 hours ago

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

2 hours ago

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

2 hours ago

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

3 hours ago

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

3 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

President Donald Trump called it “Liberation Day” on Wednesday as he unveiled reciprocal tariffs, but experts warn the move coul...

10 minutes ago

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
10 minutes ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 minutes ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

25 minutes ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

29 minutes ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

On April 5th, the "Hands Off!" group will hold an international protest, including a Fresno demonstration at Fashion Fair Mall, urging Donald Trump and Elon Musk to stop their influence over vital social programs and rights. (Hands Off!)
40 minutes ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

A for sale sign stands outside a home on the market in the Alamo Placita neighborhood Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2024, in central Denver. (AP File)
51 minutes ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

Christopher Robert Sharkey is Valley Crime Stoppers' Most Wanted Person of the Day for April 3, 2025. (Valley Crimes Stoppers)
1 hour ago

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

Johnny Hernandez, 38, was arrested in connection with an armed robbery at Adina Valley Market on April 1 and faces multiple felony charges, including robbery and assault with a firearm. (Fresno County SO)
1 hour ago

Fresno Man Arrested in Armed Robbery After Search Warrant Executed

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend