SpaceX Suffers Serious Setback With Crew Capsule Accident
Share
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. โ SpaceX has suffered a serious setback in its effort to launch NASA astronauts into orbit this year, with the fiery loss of its first crew capsule.
Over the weekend, the Dragon crew capsule that flew to the International Space Station last month was engulfed in smoke and flames on an engine test stand. SpaceX was testing the Dragonโs abort thrusters at Cape Canaveral, Florida, when Saturdayโs accident occurred.
โThis is why we test. We will learn, make the necessary adjustments and safely move forward with our commercial crew program.โ โ NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
The company said the test area was clear and no one was injured.This Dragon was supposed to be reused in a launch abort test in June, with another capsule making the first flight with a crew of two as early as July.
The SuperDraco abort thrusters are crucial to protect astronauts in flight; theyโre designed to fire in an emergency and pull the capsule safely away from the rocket.
NASA said Monday itโs too early to revise the target launch dates, given that the accident is still so fresh.
โThis is why we test,โ NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said in a statement over the weekend. โWe will learn, make the necessary adjustments and safely move forward with our commercial crew program.โ
The University of Southern Californiaโs Garrett Reisman, a former NASA astronaut who directed space operations for SpaceX until last year, said it was a โtough day โฆ not goodโ for SpaceX. โBut thankfully no one got hurt and with everything we learn from this anomaly Crew Dragon will be a safer vehicle for all her future crews,โ he tweeted.

NASA Astronauts Have Not Launched From Cape Canaveral Since 2011
Until Saturday, SpaceX was on a roll to resume crew launches from Florida. The March test flight, to the space station and back, went smoothly. The SuperDraco thrusters embedded in the sides of the capsule, however, were not used during the demo.
NASA stressed that next weekโs launch of a SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule remains on track. The supply ship is set to blast off from Cape Canaveral on April 30. SpaceX has been making deliveries to the space station since 2012.
SpaceX said it will make sure, through the accident investigation, that the Dragon is one of the safest spacecraft ever built for astronauts. The California-based company released few details, though, on the accident itself and how it might impact future flights.Former NASA Administrator Sean OโKeefe, now with Syracuse University, said via email Monday that itโs โtoo early to tell what the implications may be.โ
NASA astronauts have not launched from Cape Canaveral since the last shuttle flight in 2011, instead hitching rides on Russian rockets at steep prices. The space agency turned the job over to two private companies โ SpaceX and Boeing โ to build new capsules to ferry astronauts to and from the space station.
Earlier this month, NASA announced major delays for test flights of Boeingโs Starliner crew capsule. The initial trip to the space station, without astronauts, is targeted for August, with the first Starliner crew potentially flying by yearโs end.
NASA stressed that next weekโs launch of a SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule remains on track. The supply ship is set to blast off from Cape Canaveral on April 30. SpaceX has been making deliveries to the space station since 2012.
The crew Dragon is a much-enhanced version of the cargo version.
RELATED TOPICS:
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
Politics /
18 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
Business /
19 hours ago
Itโs Time to Love Your Desk Lunches
Food /
29 minutes ago
Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him
Politics /
15 hours ago
China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects
Economy /
16 hours ago
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
Economy /
16 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
Politics /
18 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
Business /
19 hours ago
Itโs Time to Love Your Desk Lunches
Food /
29 minutes ago
Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him
Politics /
15 hours ago
China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects
Economy /
16 hours ago
Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks
Economy /
16 hours ago
Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency
Politics /
18 hours ago
First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close
Business /
19 hours ago
Latest
Videos

Economy /
14 minutes ago
Sell-off Worsens Worldwide and Dow Drops 1,000 After China Retaliates Against Trump Tariffs

Crime /
19 minutes ago
Visalia Man Arrested in Child Exploitation Investigation

Food /
29 minutes ago
Itโs Time to Love Your Desk Lunches

Politics /
15 hours ago
Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

Economy /
16 hours ago