Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Raiders Rebound in Year 2 Under Gruden to Become Contenders
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
November 5, 2019

Share

ALAMEDA — Not much went right for the Raiders in the first season of coach Jon Gruden’s return to Oakland with stars getting traded, losses mounting, and questions raised about whether Gruden still had it after nine seasons in the broadcast booth.

“You have to lay a foundation. I feel like we’ve laid one and then jackhammered it out about 14 times since I’ve been here. This one I hope stays, that’s for sure. … This foundation is pretty good.” — Derek Carr 
Things are going much better in year two, with the Raiders (4-4) reaching the midpoint of the season in the middle of the AFC playoff race thanks to big contributions from their rookie class and significant improvement from quarterback Derek Carr and the offense.
“You have to lay a foundation,” Carr said. “I feel like we’ve laid one and then jackhammered it out about 14 times since I’ve been here. This one I hope stays, that’s for sure. … This foundation is pretty good.”
The Raiders are building an especially solid foundation on offense. Carr has taken such a big step forward in his second year in the system that Gruden now calls him a coach on the field. The offensive line has survived several injuries to become one of the better units in the league, and rookie running back Josh Jacobs is emerging as a star.
Even a lack of proven talent at receiver after the release of star wideout Antonio Brown two days before the opener hasn’t hampered the Raiders much.
Over the past six weeks, the Raiders lead the NFL in yards per play (6.56) and rank fifth in points per drive (2.44), a sign of impressive efficiency that will need to continue if Oakland is going to have a shot at making the playoffs in the final season here before a planned move to Las Vegas in 2020.
“We’re only halfway home,” Gruden said. “We’re making progress. We’re excited about that.”
Photo of Oakland Raiders head coach, Jon Gruden
Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden answers questions during a news conference after an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Oakland, Calif., Monday, Sept. 10, 2018. Los Angeles won the game 33-13. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

What’s Working

Running game. The Raiders’ offense is built around Jacobs and a massive offensive line. Jacobs has already rushed for 740 yards and six TDs, breaking Marcus Allen’s franchise record for yards rushing by a rookie set in the strike-shortened 1982 season. That effective running game has allowed Carr to use play action more effectively, leading to more big plays downfield.

What Needs Help

Pass defense. The lack of a consistent pass rush combined with spotty coverage in the secondary has once again plagued the Raiders on defense. Oakland has allowed a league-worst 43 pass plays of at least 20 yards this season, and opposing quarterbacks have a 114.8 passer rating against the Raiders. There have been only seven times a quarterback has posted a passer rating that high for an entire season.

Stock Up

Carr. After two rough seasons led to questions about whether Carr was still the quarterback of the future for the Raiders, he’s starting to flash some of that 2016 magic that made him one of the more promising young QBs in the league. He has been one of the league’s most efficient passers over his past five games, completing 69.7% of his throws for an average of 8.5 yards per attempt, nine TDs, one interception and a 112.4 rating.

Stock Down

Defensive lineman Clelin Ferrell. The No. 4 overall pick has made little impact on the defense the first half of the season. He had one sack in the opener and hasn’t recorded any since then. He has struggled to generate any consistent pressure on the quarterback when rushing either from the inside or outside.

Injured

Starting right tackle Trent Brown left the game in the first quarter with a knee injury, and Gruden had no update on his availability for this week. Center Rodney Hudson missed his first game since 2015 with a sprained ankle and his status for Thursday is also in doubt. Gruden said he feared defensive end Arden Key broke his foot, while linebacker Nicholas Morrow (groin) and cornerback Daryl Worley (ankle) are also dealing with injuries. The Raiders did activate rookie cornerback Isaiah Johnson from injured reserve after a facial injury in preseason and released linebacker Brandon Marshall.

Key Number

11. The Raiders have gotten 11 TDs so far from the rookie class — led by Jacobs with six, followed by Foster Moreau with three and Hunter Renfrow with two. The last time a team had more than that after eight games was in 1983 when the Rams had 16. In Gruden’s first five seasons in Oakland, he got two TDs from rookies in 80 games: a pick-six by Charles Woodson in 1998 and a TD catch by Marcell Ateman last year.

Next Steps

The Raiders start the second half of the season with a Thursday night game at home against the Chargers.

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Carbon Monoxide Was Cause of Death of Brett Gardner’s Teen Son, Officials Confirm

UP NEXT

Bettors Back Duke Men and UConn Women for National Championships

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

After Briefly Disappearing, TikTok Went Back to Normal. Or Did It?

UP NEXT

Ohtani’s Walk-off Homer Boosts Dodgers to 8-0 With Another Comeback Win

UP NEXT

Here’s How the New NFL Rules on Kickoffs and Overtime Will Work

UP NEXT

Webb Pitches 7 Strong Innings as Giants Beat Astros

UP NEXT

Curry Drops 52 as Warriors Beat Grizzlies, Move into Fifth in West

UP NEXT

Dodgers Extend Perfect Start Behind May and Betts’ Heroics

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

12 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

14 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

15 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

16 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

16 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

16 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

17 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

17 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

11 hours ago

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
11 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

12 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

12 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

12 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
14 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

15 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend