Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Anger Rises as PG&E Imposes More Blackouts
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
October 29, 2019

Share

SANTA ROSA — Frustration and anger mounted across Northern California as Pacific Gas & Electric Corp. began another round of fire-prevention blackouts Tuesday that could leave millions of people without electricity, some for five days or longer.
The shut-offs, aimed at keeping windblown electrical equipment from sparking wildfires, came as fire crews raced to contain two major blazes in Northern and Southern California before the winds picked up again. The fires have destroyed dozens of homes in Los Angeles and in Sonoma County wine country.
PG&E said its latest blackout would affect nearly 600,000 customers in 29 counties, or about 1.5 million people. The announcement came even before the end of the last blackout, which shut off power to more than 2.5 million people over the weekend.
People searched for places to charge cellphones and stocked up on ice after PG&E gave warning.
Petaluma resident Scotty Richardson, whose lights went out Saturday, said the prospect that power might not be restored for days makes him “furious, furious.”
He vented frustration at the on-again, off-again outages over the past few weeks but also anger at the utility’s role in causing deadly fires in the past, and apparently sparking some of this season’s blazes.

Many Californians Are Skeptical of PG&E’s Motives

“PG&E can’t figure out how to deliver power reliably without killing people,” he said. “This is more than three strikes — it’s a failure of epic proportions.”

“They don’t seem to know what the hell they’re doing. I’m not sure that they’re really protecting anything.” Chris Sherman
PG&E is in bankruptcy after its equipment was blamed for a string of disastrous fires during the past three years. Its stock dropped 24% Monday to close at $3.80 and was down more than 50% since Thursday.
Many Californians are skeptical of PG&E’s motives for the blackouts and contend the utility is more concerned with its finances than the inconvenience it is causing.
“It’s so obvious it’s just to protect them from more liability,” Janet Luoma of Santa Rosa said at a Red Cross evacuation shelter.
At the shelter in Santa Rosa, Chris Sherman plugged his laptop into a wall outlet and charged his phone while he waited for the all-clear to go home, while anticipating that once he did, he could lose power.
“They don’t seem to know what the hell they’re doing,” he said of PG&E. “I’m not sure that they’re really protecting anything.”
The company reported last week that a transmission tower that was not shut down may have caused the Sonoma County wine country fire that had forced nearly 200,000 people to evacuate.
Photo of people examining the remains of their home
Ashley LaFranchi examines the remains of her family’s Oak Ridge Angus ranch, leveled by the Kincade Fire, in Calistoga, Calif., on Monday, Oct. 28, 2019. According to Cal Fire, the blaze has scored more than 66,000 acres and destroyed at least 96 structures. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

PG&E Criticized for Poor Communication

PG&E said Monday its power lines may have also started two smaller wildfires over the weekend in a part of the San Francisco Bay Area where the utility had kept the lights on because it was not designated a high fire risk.
In Lafayette, near San Francisco, where many people lost power on Saturday, people criticized PG&E for poorly communicating about the shutoffs.

“Are we getting power tomorrow, are we not getting power tomorrow? We don’t know.” — Kelly Bitzer
“Are we getting power tomorrow, are we not getting power tomorrow? We don’t know,” said Kelly Bitzer, who came to a Safeway supermarket looking for an outlet to charge her phone.
“PG&E has spent millions of dollars giving bonuses to their executives, but they can’t keep up with their infrastructure needs,” she said. “It’s very frustrating.”
Southern California Edison had cut off power to about 800 people as of Monday night and warned that it was considering disconnecting about 400,000 more as winds return midweek. The company also faced a growing backlash from regulators and lawmakers.
U.S. Rep. Josh Harder, a Democrat from Modesto, said he plans to introduce legislation that would raise PG&E’s taxes if it pays bonuses to executives while engaging in blackouts.

Regulators to Review Blackout Rules

The California Public Utilities Commission plans to open an investigation into the blackouts that could result in fines against PG&E if it is found to have broken any rules.
The commission said it also plans to review the rules governing blackouts, will look to prevent utilities from charging customers when the power is off and will convene experts to find grid improvements that might lessen shut-offs next fire season.
The state can’t continue experiencing such widespread blackouts, “nor should Californians be subject to the poor execution that PG&E in particular has exhibited,” PUC President Marybel Batjer said in a statement.
PG&E has set up centers where people can go to charge phones and laptops and get free water, snacks, flashlights and solar lanterns.
At one of them, in Berkeley, a few dozen people sat around charging their phones, comparing outage stories and seeking information.
Cellphone coverage in parts of Berkeley was very spotty during the outage, and residents said they heard it was because cellphone towers didn’t have backup power.
“It’s like, really? Nobody thought of that?” said Alexandra Cons, who lost her house in a deadly 1991 fire that raged through the Berkeley hills.

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

DON'T MISS

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

DON'T MISS

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

DON'T MISS

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

DON'T MISS

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

DON'T MISS

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

DON'T MISS

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

DON'T MISS

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

DON'T MISS

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

DON'T MISS

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

UP NEXT

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

UP NEXT

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

UP NEXT

Staged Crashes and Insurance Fraud: Is Your California Commute a Target?

UP NEXT

Fight Over Phonics: Will CA Require the ‘Science of Reading’ in K-12 Schools?

UP NEXT

The NBA’s Playoff Chase Enters Its Final Days. Here’s a Look at What’s Happening

UP NEXT

USC’s JuJu Watkins Named AP Player of the Year After Historic Sophomore Season

UP NEXT

Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman Lands on Injured List Following Fall in His Shower at Home

UP NEXT

How Trump’s Latest Tariffs Could Affect Your Wallet

UP NEXT

Curry Scores 37 Points and Warriors Beat Lakers in a Potential First-Round Playoff Preview

UP NEXT

LA Fires Death Toll Rises to 30 After Remains Are Found

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

14 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

14 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

15 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

15 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

15 hours ago

Judge Says US Must Return Maryland Man Who Was Mistakenly Deported to El Salvador Prison

15 hours ago

These Fresno First-Graders Are Topping Their Peers in Reading

17 hours ago

Fresno Burial Ceremony to Honor Five Abandoned Babies Set for Saturday

17 hours ago

Visalia Man Arrested for Soliciting Sex From Minor in Kingsburg

17 hours ago

Camalah Saleh Cruises to Win in Stormy Fresno State Student Elections

19 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday asked exporting countries worldwide to spare California their retaliatory tariffs, saying he plans to pursue dir...

13 hours ago

13 hours ago

Newsom Wants to Bypass Trump Tariffs With Direct CA Trade Deals

Specialist Anthony Matesic works on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP/Richard Drew)
14 hours ago

Markets Plunge With S&P 500 Down 6% and Dow Down 2,200 After China Retaliates

Fresno police are searching for Unique Hernandez, 12, last seen on Friday, April 4, 2025, near Inyo Street and Maple Avenue, wearing all black clothing and carrying a black backpack. (Fresno PD)
14 hours ago

Fresno Police Searching for Missing 12-Year-Old Girl

14 hours ago

Madera Community College Unveils New Multicultural and Veterans Center

14 hours ago

Fusion Energy Race Is On. Two Local Lawmakers Want California to Lead the Way

15 hours ago

Saturday’s Spring Fest to Showcase Free, Low-Cost Activities for Fresno Kids

15 hours ago

LA County Reaches $4 Billion Agreement to Settle Sexual Abuse Claims at Juvenile Facilities

Antonio de Jesus Orozco Montes Deoca, 30, was sentenced on Friday, March 4, 2025, to 14 years and 8 months in prison for a deadly marijuana DUI crash in 2022 that killed one woman and injured four others. (GV Wire Composite)
15 hours ago

Fresno Man Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Marijuana DUI Crash

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend