Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
250 'Freedom' Protesters Want All Fresno Businesses Open Now
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 5 years ago on
May 6, 2020

Share

Flag- and sign-waving protesters yelling “freedom” called for the city of Fresno to immediately reopen the economy amid the coronavirus pandemic Wednesday.

The City Hall crowd, which police estimated at 250, heard dozens of speakers — business owners and elected leaders — talk about the Constitution and the reeling economy that has sent unemployment soaring.

Speakers addressed the crowd from the back of a box truck parked on the street facing the entrance to City Hall. At one point, conservative activist and event organizer Ben Bergquam led chants of  “Open up! Open up!”

‘Crazy Bernie’ Praises Brand

“I want to thank Mayor Lee Brand for standing up to the governor to show Sacramento and our great country that Fresno for once, instead of being the butt of jokes, can be the model for the safe reopening of this great country.” Bernie Siomiak, owner of Crazy Bernie Furniture

On Tuesday, Fresno Mayor Lee Brand announced that all retail stores will be allowed to reopen in some fashion next Monday.

That includes Crazy Bernie Furniture, and its namesake owner Bernie Siomiak, who has publicly attacked Brand and his handling of the pandemic. His furniture store received two citations for a total of $6,000 in fines for operating curbside pickup as a nonessential business.

That’s why it was surprising when Siomiak, wearing his trademark crown, praised Fresno’s mayor.

“I want to thank Mayor Lee Brand for standing up to the governor to show Sacramento and our great country that Fresno for once, instead of being the butt of jokes, can be the model for the safe reopening of this great country,” Siomiak said.

Fresno Isn’t Reopening Fast Enough for Some

Speakers talked about the inequity of big box stores remaining open, but smaller stores being deemed nonessential.

Tara Smith, who owns Creative Tile with her husband, told the crowd simply “We need to open up now!”

Dine-in restaurants, hair-care, gyms, and entertainment venues will remain on the sideline, subject to more stringent criteria before the state allows them to reopen.

Restaurant owner Mike Shirinian, attending the event, said Brand isn’t acting fast enough.

“It’s a step in the right direction. The whole process needs to get accelerated. I think it’s better than nothing,” Shirinian said. “We need to get this open. Like yesterday.”

Shirinian served on Brand’s Fresno Recovery Advisory Committee before quitting last week, questioning Brand’s leadership.

Creative Tile owner Tara Smith speaks at the Fresno Freedom Rally (GV Wire/David Taub)

Vibrant Atmosphere

Police were visible at the event, but kept their distance, usually across the street. Police chief Andy Hall roamed around, cheerfully greeted by well-wishers asking for pictures.

Many cars passing along O Street honked their horns, creating a festive atmosphere.

A few elected leaders spoke including councilman Garry Bredefeld — who has been critical of the city’s process of closing businesses — and county supervisors Steve Brandau and Nathan Magsig, who urged the audience to contact Gov. Gavin Newsom.

The only commerce taking place was a booth selling Donald Trump merchandise. Not a single food truck capitalized on the crowd and ideal weather.

Councilman Miguel Arias, a supporter of the way the city has been handling COVID-19, passed through the crowd on the way to City Hall.

“This will be the best parking revenue day we’ve had in a while,” he said.

Left to right: conservative activist Ben Bergquam, Power Talk 96.7 host Trevor Carey, and Fresno County supervisors Steve Brandau and Nathan Magsig at the Fresno Freedom Rally. (GV Wire/David Taub)

More Photos of Fresno Freedom Rally

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

UP NEXT

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

14 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

14 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

13 hours ago

13 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
13 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

13 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

14 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

14 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

14 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
15 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

17 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend