Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
LA Area Sheriff Says Black Man Grabbed at Gun Before Fatal Shooting
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
September 25, 2020

Share

LOS ANGELES — The sheriff in Orange County released a grainy photograph Thursday that he said showed a Black man grabbing at a deputy’s gun during a struggle on the ground that ended with the fatal shooting of the man.

Barnes said video from a witness recorded a deputy yelling “he’s got my gun!” four times. One deputy then fired two shots and Reinhold died at the scene.

Sheriff Don Barnes said the photo was a frame of a video taken by a hotel surveillance camera that captured the incident Wednesday afternoon in the oceanside city of San Clemente. Two deputies attempted to stop the man, identified as Kurt Andras Reinhold, 42, as he tried to cross the street, then tackled him.

As the three struggled, Barnes said surveillance video showed that Reinhold appeared to try to release the gun from a deputy’s holster, though the sheriff said it’s not clear if he was able to get it out. Barnes said video from a witness recorded a deputy yelling “he’s got my gun!” four times. One deputy then fired two shots and Reinhold died at the scene.

Barnes declined to release any video, saying he didn’t want to influence witnesses who had yet to be interviewed by investigators. He also said he didn’t yet know why the two veteran officers on the department’s homeless outreach unit tried to stop Reinhold on the street.

Reinhold was homeless and had been in San Clemente for about a month. Police made multiple attempts to get him help but he declined, Barnes said.

Reinhold’s death came the same day as the decision not to charge Kentucky police officers for Breonna Taylor’s death. Taylor, a Black woman and an emergency medical worker, was shot multiple times by white officers in Louisville after one of them was shot while bursting into her home during a narcotics investigation in March.

The Two Deputies Are 8- and 13-Year Veterans Who Are Part of a 25-Member Unit

The decision prompted protests in many cities, including Los Angeles. On Thursday morning, about 50 people protested Reinhold’s killing and tried to block traffic in San Clemente, about 60 miles south of LA . Four were arrested after they refused to get out of the street and a fifth was booked on a vandalism charge for scratching a sheriff’s vehicle, Barnes said.

Barnes acknowledged Reinhold’s death came at a tenuous time for the country.

“Given the current climate of police and community relations, I understand that this conversation is going to be a difficult one around this incident,” he said at a news conference. He offered condolences to Reinhold’s family and asked anyone who plans to protest or mourn to do so peacefully.

The two deputies are 8- and 13-year veterans who are part of a 25-member unit that attempts to engage with the homeless people and get them into service programs for mental health, drug addiction or other issues. They are trained in de-escalation and crisis intervention.

A video shot by a citizen and posted by Southern Orange County Black Lives Matter shows the early stages of the confrontation between the unidentified deputies and Reinhold. He is seen trying to walk past the deputies as they stand in the middle of a street. He is heard shouting “stop touching me!” and pushes away the hand of a deputy who orders him to sit on the curb.

“For what?” Reinhold asks.

The Deputies Have Been Placed on Leave and the Orange County District Attorney Is Investigating

“Because I’m telling you to,” the deputy replied.

The deputy repeatedly shoved Reinhold, and both deputies tackled him to the sidewalk, where all three begin to wrestle. Vehicles driving along the street block the camera’s view of the struggle as one shot rings out, then another about five seconds later.

Barnes said deputies are taught to try to gain compliance without violence. He said the tackling of Reinhold was “not something we want to see happen.”

Barnes said deputies are taught to try to gain compliance without violence. He said the tackling of Reinhold was “not something we want to see happen.”

The deputies have been placed on leave and the Orange County district attorney is investigating.

Ed Obayashi, a use-of-force consultant to law enforcement agencies and a deputy sheriff in Plumas County, said Reinhold appeared to be aggressive and unwilling to comply with the deputies’ commands. To Obayashi, Reinhold seemed to be advancing toward the deputies in a hostile manner and it looked like one deputy kept touching him to keep a safe distance between them.

“He’s just trying to keep him at bay and also at the same time, guide him toward the sidewalk and out of the street,” Obayashi said after watching the social media video. “There’s no more reasoning or rationalizing, trying to convince this individual.”

When Reinhold allegedly grabbed the deputy’s gun, “that’s life and death,” Obayashi said, noting that it made sense that the other deputy would fire his weapon in response.

“There are no absolute solutions or law enforcement responses that fit every situation,” he said. “There’s no one-size-fits-all.”

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

9 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

11 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

11 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

11 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

11 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

12 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

12 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

6 hours ago

6 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
7 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

7 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

8 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

8 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
9 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

11 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend