Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Verizon, AT&T Reach $116 Million California Settlement
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 5 years ago on
September 24, 2020

Share

SACRAMENTO — The nation’s largest cellphone providers will pay a combined $116 million under a settlement approved Thursday in a California lawsuit alleging that they overcharged government customers for wireless services over more than a decade.

Verizon will pay $68 million and AT&T Mobility $48 million to settle claims that they violated cost-saving agreements included in wireless contracts with state and local governments. Sprint and T-Mobile previously agreed to pay a combined $9.6 million.

Verizon will pay $68 million and AT&T Mobility $48 million to settle claims that they violated cost-saving agreements included in wireless contracts with state and local governments. Sprint and T-Mobile previously agreed to pay a combined $9.6 million.

Attorneys who filed the suit said it is the second-largest California False Claims Act settlement outside of the health care industry.

The California Attorney General’s Office decided not to sue after its own investigation of the government contracts in California and Nevada, said Verizon spokesman Rich Young, so a whistleblower sued in 2012 using a provision of the act that allows for such independent lawsuits on the state’s behalf.

Young said Verizon “settled these meritless claims to avoid a protracted legal battle.” AT&T spokesman Jim Greer similarly said his company “complied with our contracts and the law” and denied wrongdoing, but settled to avoid costly litigation.

‘This Is Real Money to California’s Schools, Local Governments and State Agencies’

The suit says the companies failed to live up to their agreements to charge nearly 300 state and local governments the lowest available cost and tailor their dozens of frequently changing rate plans accordingly based on actual usage patterns.

The plaintiffs’ attorneys said the largest users recovering money under the settlement are the state of California, the California State University and University of California systems, Los Angeles County, and Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, and Riverside city and county governments.

The whistleblower plaintiff, OnTheGo Wireless LLC, was formed by Jeffrey Smith after his firm used software applications to compare rate plans and concluded the companies did not offer the governments the lowest possible prices. His firm will get about 40% of the settlement, he and the attorneys said in a statement.

“It may be a rounding error to Verizon and AT&T, but this is real money to California’s schools, local governments and state agencies who spent years scraping through their budget to pay what we now know were over-inflated bills,” said Wayne Lamprey of the Constantine Cannon law firm, who filed the lawsuit and was lead counsel.

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

Lakers Hold Off Rockets With 6 3-Pointers Apiece From Dorian Finney-Smith, Gabe Vincent

UP NEXT

Athletics Bat Boy Stewart Thalblum Takes Down Drone in Left Field

UP NEXT

NFL Postpones Tush Push Decision but Passes Other Rule Changes, AP Source Says

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

9 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

9 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

9 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

10 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

11 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

11 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

5 hours ago

5 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
5 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

6 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

6 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
8 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

9 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend