Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Worst Night Ever for Illegal Fireworks, Says Fresno Fire Department
Bill McEwen updated website photo 2024
By Bill McEwen, News Director
Published 5 years ago on
July 6, 2020

Share

One look at the Fresno sky on Saturday night might have told you it was the worst night ever for illegal fireworks. Confirmation came from events on the ground.

“There were three-and-half hours of non-stop aerial fireworks, which are illegal, over Fresno on Saturday night. The firefighters I talked to said they had never seen anything like it. Fireworks were going off in every part of the city.” — Shane Brown, public information officer, Fresno Fire Department

According to the Fresno Fire Department, it answered 135 calls for fires on the Fourth of July. And, at 10:18 p.m. overwhelmed crews stopped responding to medical emergency requests — unless it was for cardiac arrest — for nearly three hours.

The department responded to 78 fires on the Fourth of July last year.

“There were three-and-half hours of non-stop aerial fireworks, which are illegal, over Fresno on Saturday night,” said Fresno Fire Department Public Information Officer Shane Brown on Monday. “The firefighters I talked to said they had never seen anything like it. Fireworks were going off in every part of the city.”

Fresno City Councilman Luis Chavez tweeted “I’ve never seen it this bad! Police and fire departments are swamped and can’t respond to real emergencies.”

High Call Volume on Sunday, Too

All together, Fresno fire crews responded to a total of 211 calls Saturday. At 3 a.m. Sunday, Brown said, the department was still fighting 14 fires.

The department fielded 184 calls for service on Sunday as well. That brought the 48-hour total to 395 — a 60% increase over July 4-5 last year, Brown said.

Miraculously, perhaps, there were no reports of injuries to residents or firefighters.

Watch: Fresno Fire Battles Blaze in 4000 Block of East Platt Avenue

Sheriff’s Dispatchers Answer More Than 1,000 Calls

Dispatchers for the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office answered more than 1,000 calls on Saturday, sheriff’s spokesman Tony Botti said Monday. Six hundred calls came through the 911 emergency line, and 428 were for non-emergencies.

However, last year’s Fourth of July calls totaled 1,224, Botti said, although only 393 of those came in on the 911 line.

“We filtered calls that would likely meet the criteria for fireworks from this past Saturday,” Botti said in a news release. “Keywords included:  Fireworks, fire, and public hazard.  There were a total of 234.
One thing to note is that if, for example, five people called in a report for fireworks in one particular area, that gets merged into one call, so that is why the 234 number may seem lower than you would expect.”

Fresno Police Turned Off ShotSpotter

Sgt. Jeff LaBlue, spokesman for the Fresno Police Department, said Monday that the department received about 4,000 calls for service on July 4, “which is normal for a Saturday night in the summer.”

But, with illegal fireworks exploding all over the city, the department deactivated its ShotSpotter technology. That system helps officers quickly detect and respond to gunshots.

Fireworks Exploding All Over

Well before the holiday, states all over the nation reported that people were setting off fireworks in large numbers.

Julie L. Heckman, executive director of the American Pyrotechnics Association, reported a 200% increase in fireworks sales over last year.

Two popular explanations for the surge: the cancelation of public displays because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and people looking to blow off steam while being under lockdown orders.

In Los Angeles, firefighters responded to thousands of emergency calls Saturday and extinguished at least one large blaze that consumed half an apartment complex in Northridge, The Los Angeles Times reported.

Watch: CBS47 Time-Lapse Video of Illegal Fresno Fireworks

https://www.facebook.com/CBS47/videos/324516278951125/

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

Bill McEwen,
News Director
Bill McEwen is news director and columnist for GV Wire. He joined GV Wire in August 2017 after 37 years at The Fresno Bee. With The Bee, he served as Opinion Editor, City Hall reporter, Metro columnist, sports columnist and sports editor through the years. His work has been frequently honored by the California Newspapers Publishers Association, including authoring first-place editorials in 2015 and 2016. Bill and his wife, Karen, are proud parents of two adult sons, and they have two grandsons. You can contact Bill at 559-492-4031 or at Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

7 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

8 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

9 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

9 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

9 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

10 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

10 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

4 hours ago

4 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
4 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

5 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

5 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

6 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

6 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
7 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

8 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend