Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
California Revisits Three-Strike Life Sentences
gvw_ap_news
By Associated Press
Published 6 years ago on
October 20, 2018

Share

SACRAMENTO — Up to 4,000 California inmates serving life sentences for nonviolent convictions will have a chance at parole following the state’s decision to let stand a judge’s ruling saying those prisoners are eligible for freedom under a voter-approved law.
The state will craft new regulations by January to include the repeat offenders in early release provisions. Gov. Jerry Brown also will not appeal a court ruling that the state is illegally excluding the nonviolent career criminals from parole under the 2016 ballot measure he championed to reduce the prison population and encourage rehabilitation.
The state parole board estimates between 3,000 and 4,000 nonviolent third-strikers could be affected, corrections department spokeswoman Vicky Waters told The Associated Press Thursday, “but they would have to go through rigorous public safety screenings and a parole board hearing before any decision is made.”
It’s the second such loss for the Democratic governor, who leaves office days after the new rules are due. Another judge ruled in February that the state must consider earlier parole for potentially thousands of sex offenders. The administration is fighting that ruling, which undercuts repeated promises that Brown made to voters to exclude sex offenders from earlier release.

Third-Strikers Would Fall Under Measure’s Constitutional Amendment

Prosecutors warned throughout the Prop. 57 campaign that third-strikers would unintentionally fall under the measure’s constitutional amendment, said California District Attorneys Association spokeswoman Jennifer Jacobs.

“There is no question that the voters who approved Proposition 57 intended (inmates) serving Three Strikes indeterminate sentences to be eligible for early parole consideration.”Appeals Court
Brown will not appeal last month’s ruling by a three-judge appellate panel in a Los Angeles County case.
“There is no question that the voters who approved Proposition 57 intended (inmates) serving Three Strikes indeterminate sentences to be eligible for early parole consideration,” the appeals court ruled, adding that, “There is strong evidence the voters who approved Proposition 57 sought to provide relief to nonviolent offenders.”
The administration first argued that they were ineligible because they face indeterminate life sentences and later added that “public safety requires their exclusion.” The appeals court found that officials were “devising an argument … that is at war” with the measure’s plan language.
Michael Romano, director of the Stanford Three Strikes Project, called the administration’s decision to comply “monumental.”

An Estimated 4,000 Inmates Will Be Eligible for Parole

Among the 4,000 inmates he estimated will be eligible for parole are clients serving life terms for stealing a bicycle, possessing less than half a gram of methamphetamine, stealing two bottles of liquor or shoplifting shampoo.
They are disproportionately black, disproportionately mentally ill and statistically among the least likely to commit additional crimes, said Romano, whose project represented third-strike inmates in several appeals.
He cited corrections department data on more than 2,200 third strikers who were paroled under a 2012 ballot measure that allowed most inmates serving life terms for relatively minor third strikes to ask courts for shorter terms. Less than 11 percent returned to prison by October 2016, the latest data available, he said, compared to nearly 45 percent of other prisoners.
Mike Reynolds, who spurred the original three strikes ballot measure after his daughter was killed in 1992, predicted a rise in crime and backlash against Democrats who hold power in California.
“There seems to be a greater need to protect criminals rather than the people who are being victimized by them,” he said.

Evoking Horror in the Public’s Mind

McGeorge School of Law professor Michael Vitiello expects law enforcement and victims’ groups may challenge earlier releases for sex offenders, but said there is less chance of success for a ballot measure that would again bar third-strikers from parole.

“You couch it in the frame of nonviolent third-strike offenders who have been put away for far too long. That comes kind of squarely within the public’s perception that we’ve overdone it.”Michael Vitiello, McGeorge School of Law professor
“You couch it in the frame of nonviolent third-strike offenders who have been put away for far too long,” said Vitiello, an expert on the three strikes law. “That comes kind of squarely within the public’s perception that we’ve overdone it.”
Not so with sex offenders, who “evoke horror in the public’s mind,” he said. Even liberal California lawmakers passed a new law responding to a short sentence for former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner for sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman, while voters recalled the sentencing judge.
The public perception unfairly but genuinely lumps one-time sex offenders who are never likely to reoffend in with incorrigible child molesters, he said. Yet allowing shorter terms for less dangerous offenders makes sense “if we want to stop spending so much money on prisons (by) keeping elderly prisoners in prison for their effective life span.”

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

UP NEXT

Diehard Baseball Fans in Sacramento Welcome Athletics and Hope They Stay Awhile

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

California’s Schools Chief Has a $200,000 Salary and a Side Gig

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Xavier Becerra Enters 2026 California Governor’s Race

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

2 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

3 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

4 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

5 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

5 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

5 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

5 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

5 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico reported new measles cases this week, with the outbreak expanding for the first time into central Texas. Alre...

1 minute ago

1 minute ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

8 minutes ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

12 minutes ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
2 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
4 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend