Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
No More Free School Meals for Adults in Fresno. Officials Will Point Them to Other Options.
NANCY WEBSITE HEADSHOT 1
By Nancy Price, Multimedia Journalist
Published 4 years ago on
January 28, 2021

Share

As of Monday, only children will be eligible for free meals picked up at Fresno Unified schools as the district ends the practice of feeding all comers, officials announced Thursday.

But no grown-ups should go hungry. Fresno Unified Superintendent Bob Nelson said nonprofits and community-based organizations are already providing meals across Fresno and the county to meet the needs of adults.

Nelson said adults who show up at a school early next week will still get a meal for a few more days at least, and they’ll also be provided information about how and where they can obtain food.

“We’ve not fed them for the better part of a year to jam anyone now,” he said.

The district has prepared flyers in English, Spanish, and Hmong that will be distributed at school sites, is notifying parents by email about the change, and also has posted a billboard at Manchester Center and Highway 41, district spokeswoman Amy Idsvoog said.

Other Organizations Provide Food

At a virtual news conference Thursday, Nelson introduced some of the local organizations that are already providing food for families: Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission, Central California Food Bank, Every Neighborhood Partnership, and the Fresno Metro Ministry.

Fresno Unified had provided free meals for all after the start of the pandemic in mid-March last year, and Nelson said that of the 10 million meals served since then, 1 million went to adults.

The district is reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for student meals and initially covered the adult meals out of its general fund. The city of Fresno then stepped in and provided federal CARES Act dollars for the adult meals.

City Allocates Funds to Other Programs

But the city recently decided to curtail providing those funds to the district and allocated some funding to area nonprofits to provide food.

People can use a locator map on the Central California Food Bank website  to find nearby food distribution locations, said chief executive officer Natalie Caples.

She said the food bank has a new appointment-based program, Groceries To Go, with options for delivery or pickup at the food bank headquarters or other sites.

Those who lack access to the internet can call the food bank at (559) 237-3663 or the United Way’s 211 hotline, Caples said.

Every Neighborhood Partnership has partnered with the food bank and is continuing to work with churches, food pantries, and other organizations to make food available to those in need, executive director Andrew Feil said.

“We have residents that are feeding their own community,” he said.

 

Fresno Unified is handing out fliers and putting up posters to announce that schools meals will be provided to students only starting Monday. (Fresno Unified)

RELATED TOPICS:

DON'T MISS

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

DON'T MISS

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

DON'T MISS

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

DON'T MISS

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

State Center Trustees Render Split Decision on Future of PLAs

UP NEXT

Trump Proposes Tax Deduction for Auto Loan Interest on US-Made Cars

UP NEXT

Western US Sees Sharp Increase in Extreme Weather Impact

UP NEXT

7-Year-Old Girl Was Killed by a Falling Boulder at a Lake Tahoe Ski Resort

UP NEXT

Elon Musk Reclaims Top Spot on Forbes’ Billionaires List

UP NEXT

How Safe Is It to Walk to School? Fresno County Wants to Find Out

Nancy Price,
Multimedia Journalist
Nancy Price is a multimedia journalist for GV Wire. A longtime reporter and editor who has worked for newspapers in California, Florida, Alaska, Illinois and Kansas, Nancy joined GV Wire in July 2019. She previously worked as an assistant metro editor for 13 years at The Fresno Bee. Nancy earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in journalism at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. Her hobbies include singing with the Fresno Master Chorale and volunteering with Fresno Filmworks. You can reach Nancy at 559-492-4087 or Send an Email

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

4 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

4 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

5 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

6 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

7 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

8 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

8 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

8 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

9 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

9 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

GV Wire’s Edward Smith talks with KMPH Fox 26 “Great Day” anchor Christina Rodriguez about the possibility of CEMEX digging a 600-foot hole ...

3 hours ago

3 hours ago

Wired Wednesday: CEMEX’s New Mining Plan for the San Joaquin River

President Donald Trump speaks during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden at the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Mark Schiefelbein)
3 hours ago

Trump Fires NSC Officials a Day After Far-Right Activist Raises Concerns to Him

4 hours ago

China Halts Approvals for New US Investment Projects

4 hours ago

Measles Spreads to Central Texas; 5 States Have Active Outbreaks

4 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 hours ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
6 hours ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

7 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend