Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
RV Park Starts Complying With State Orders. Residents Still Face Hardships.
David Website Replacement
By David Taub, Senior Reporter
Published 7 years ago on
July 19, 2018

Share

Months after residents complained about a dilapidated RV park outside of Mendota, the owner is starting to clean up his act.
But residents at Jack’s RV Resort Park say they continue to face hardships.
Despite orders from a state agency to fix numerous problems, the park’s owners failed to make improvements. Instead, they responded by issuing notices for residents to leave. Many residents did, but a handful stayed. The state stripped the park of its ability to collect rent on what were deemed to be illegally rented spaces.

Residents Concerned

The living conditions at Jack’s came to GV Wire’s attention earlier this year while the website was reporting about life in Mendota. Residents complained about unsanitary conditions, especially in the spaces rented on the south end of the park.
The reporting caught the attention of a state agency in charge of RV park housing conditions. The California Housing and Community Development Department initially inspected the park in April, with a re-inspection in June. It found 161 health and safety violations.
Multiple residents tell GV Wire that the park’s management removed the offending sewer tanks. But they also say nothing has replaced them.
“We didn’t get a notice saying they were going to remove them. I can’t find a place to park my trailer anywhere,” one woman told GV Wire.
She is concerned about finding another place to live for herself and children.

State Tells Owner to Remove Sewer, Electrical Work

After months of non-compliance by the park, HCD issued an Order to Abate on July 11, requiring the owner to remove sewer and electrical systems.
[Read Order to Abate here]
Normally, HCD would issue a “Notice of Intent to Suspend” before the abatement order.
“However, due to the repeated warnings along with the severity and egregious nature of the violations, HCD decided to disallow the 30-day grace period (which is required as part of due process of Notice of Intent to Suspend),” HCD spokesperson Evan Gerberding said.
While HCD said owner Saeed Mohammed (whose name has also been reported as Mohamed Saeed) is “attempting to comply,” he still faces up to $80,500 in state fines. HCD could also pursue misdemeanor charges that carry up to 30 days in jail and a $400 fine.
HCD’s order mandated Mohammed to fulfill seven requirements with varying timelines.
The state agency gave him 24 hours (completed by July 12) to remove raw sewage and human waste that leaked from broken tanks, pipes and other RVs stored on the property. HCD also ordered Mohamed to treat the contaminated ground.
“We have asked for County Environmental Health to send someone to the site and provide guidance on proper methods to control the soil contamination, holding tanks, etc.” HCD spokesperson Alicia Murillo wrote GV Wire in an email.
Mohamed has ten days (to be finished by July 21), according to the order to:
— Remove all unpermitted an unapproved sewage disposal system, sewage holding tanks and drain lines.
— Remove all unpermitted an unapproved electrical distribution systems.
— Remove all unpermitted and unapproved potable water distribution systems.
— Remove all abandoned substandard recreational vehicles.
— Remove all accumulation of rubbish, waster material and combustibles.
HCD also ordered Mohammed, within 60 days (completed by Sept. 8), to remove all construction and cease use of all unpermitted RV lots.
The order also mandates Mohammed to provide all residents of the RV park, even those in the illegally rented spaces, temporary access to potable water, electricity, and portable toilets.

Penalties

The order once again warned Mohammed that he could face “administrative and/or civil remedies with judicial enforcement measures, including local district attorney and the California Attorney General’s office.”
“The Department will refer this matter for a civil abatement action to the Fresno County District Attorney but no action will be taken unless you fail to comply,” the notice read.
“No, we have not yet pursued collection of civil penalties/fines. We will reassess those once we obtain compliance,” Murillo said. “The owner has paid his RV park permit to operate fees, but not our complaint inspection fees.”
HCD said Mohammed owes them $556 for inspection fees.
 

DON'T MISS

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

DON'T MISS

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

DON'T MISS

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

DON'T MISS

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

DON'T MISS

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

DON'T MISS

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

DON'T MISS

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

DON'T MISS

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

DON'T MISS

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

DON'T MISS

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

UP NEXT

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

UP NEXT

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

UP NEXT

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

UP NEXT

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

UP NEXT

Valley Crime Stoppers’ Most Wanted Person of the Day: Christopher Robert Sharkey

UP NEXT

Flores Homers, Matos and Wade Also Go Deep to Help Giants Cap Sweep of Astros

UP NEXT

Fresno County Authorities Need Help Finding Family of Alejandro Solis

UP NEXT

Lilly Is a Young Terrier Who Loves Dogs, Cats, and People

UP NEXT

Colorado Man Charged with Pointing Laser at Fresno Sheriff Helicopter

UP NEXT

Fresno Firefighters Save Dog From Canal and Now She’s Ready for Adoption

David Taub,
Senior Reporter
Curiosity drives David Taub. The award-winning journalist might be shy, but feels mighty with a recorder in his hand. He doesn't see it his job to "hold public officials accountable," but does see it to provide readers (and voters) the information needed to make intelligent choices. Taub has been honored with several writing awards from the California News Publishers Association. He's just happy to have his stories read. Joining GV Wire in 2016, Taub covers politics, government and elections, mainly in the Fresno/Clovis area. He also writes columns about local eateries (Appetite for Fresno), pro wrestling (Off the Bottom Rope), and media (Media Man). Prior to joining the online news source, Taub worked as a radio producer for KMJ and PowerTalk 96.7 in Fresno. He also worked as an assignment editor for KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, and KSEE-TV in Fresno. He has also worked behind the scenes for several sports broadcasts, including the NCAA basketball tournament, and the Super Bowl. When not spending time with his family, Taub loves to officially score Fresno Grizzlies games. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Taub is a die-hard Giants and 49ers fan. He graduated from the University of Michigan with dual degrees in communications and political science. Go Blue! You can contact David at 559-492-4037 or at Send an Email

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

3 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

3 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

5 hours ago

Order That Kept Water in the Kern River Reversed by 5th District Court of Appeal

5 hours ago

As Dem Candidates for Governor Increase, They Wait for Harris to Decide

5 hours ago

No More Calling ‘Shotgun?’ CA Could Ban Teens From Riding in Front Seat

5 hours ago

Protests Planned All Over the World Aimed at Donald Trump and Elon Musk

5 hours ago

Average US Rate on a 30-Year Mortgage Dips to 6.64% for the Second Drop in 2 Weeks

5 hours ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

U.S. companies had trillions of dollars in value wiped out Thursday after President Donald Trump slapped sweeping tariffs on foreign imports...

1 minute ago

1 minute ago

Trump Tariff Fears Erase $2 Trillion From US Stocks

5 minutes ago

Startup Offers Controversial Microplastic Blood Cleansing Treatment

Dr. Mehmet Oz, President Donald Trump's pick to lead the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, seated right, gives a thumbs-up alongside his wife Lisa Oz, seated left, with friends and family after he testified at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Finance Committee, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Friday, March 14, 2025. (AP/Ben Curtis)
1 hour ago

Senate Confirms Mehmet Oz to Take Lead of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

3 hours ago

First California EV Mandates Hit Automakers This Year. Most Are Not Even Close

Vice President Mike Pence hands the electoral certificate from the state of Arizona to Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., as he presides over a joint session of Congress as it convenes to count the Electoral College votes cast in November's election, at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP File)
3 hours ago

Pence Will Receive the Profile in Courage Award From the JFK Library for His Actions on Jan. 6

3 hours ago

Politics Turns Ugly for a Conservative Running for Fresno State Student Body President

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth attends a joint news conference with Japan's Defense Minister Gen Nakatani at the Ministry of Defense in Tokyo Sunday, March 30, 2025. (Kiyoshi Ota/Pool Photo via AP)
3 hours ago

Pentagon’s Watchdog to Review Hegseth’s Use of Signal App to Convey Plans for Houthi Strike

President Donald Trump holds a signed executive order during an event to announce new tariffs in the Rose Garden of the White House, Wednesday, April 2, 2025, in Washington. (AP/Evan Vucci)
5 hours ago

President Trump’s Tariffs Could Be the Political Tipping Point

Help continue the work that gets you the news that matters most.

Search

Send this to a friend